Dpinga

Browsing this Thread:   2 Anonymous Users

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic  Topic is Locked

(1) 2 3 4 ... 18 »

SKH article (ooh...controversy!)
Frequent Visitor
Group:
村民 :: Villager
Not to cause a big controversy, but, experienced people, what is your take on this article? (particularly the first paragraph). True? False? Who cares?

http://www.skhquest.com/articles/ancientmodernninjutsu.aspx

Posted on: 2005/3/3 1:13
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: SKH article (ooh...controversy!)
Permanent Village Fixture
From Wales, United Kingdom
Group:
This topic has been done to death a million times over on this forum, here for example.

http://www.kutaki.org/modules/newbb/v ... SC&topic_id=1587&forum=16

Why start a new thread when one already exists? Why stir up yet more controversy when none is needed?

Posted on: 2005/3/3 1:26

"Ultimately, we must forget technique, but forgetting about technique is not the same as never having learned it."
Hideharu Onuma

Frequent Visitor
Group:
Why start another thread that already exists? Because I did not know it existed.

Thanks for the direction to the previously discussed topic though. Oh, and thanks for another compassionate and good hearted response to a young person just wanting to find the truth.

Posted on: 2005/3/3 1:38

From Wales, United Kingdom
Group:
Then you've learned two things today my young apprentice.

One, to check whether the topic is already under discussion - Shawn spent a lot of time adding things like search functions for a reason (it's on the bottom of the home page).

Two, to phrase your questions in a respectful manner so as not to insult those around you, whether intentionally or not. The whole tone of your original post smacked of trollish behaviour i.e. deliberately controversial. As a relatively inexperienced member of Kutaki, judging by your number of posts, perhaps you should tread lightly until you've got the feel of the forum?

Good luck with your search for the truth. It is indeed out there!

Posted on: 2005/3/3 2:26

"Ultimately, we must forget technique, but forgetting about technique is not the same as never having learned it."
Hideharu Onuma

Frequent Visitor
Group:
what i learned was that it is people like you who dispense mean spirited condescending smart a** answers that make me glad to not have a teacher like you to give me their "truth". and i'm not your apprentice. show some respect and maybe you get some.

Posted on: 2005/3/3 4:21

Honorary Villager
From Chicago, IL
Group:
To whom it may concern:

In my experience, I wouldn't expect anything resembling a polite response when discussing Stephen Hayes. The conversation is generally looked upon as an opportunity to make disparaging remarks, without fear of consequence, or need to justify.

Posted on: 2005/3/3 4:52

"And all the harm that ever I've done, Alas, it was to none but me..." - (as sung by) Shane Macgowan

"In the midst of peace, war is looked upon as an object too distant to merit consideration." - Renatus

Active Kutakian
From New York
Group:
Hello James,
Your question does merit a polite reply of course, but the subject matter for some is sensitive, why I dont know, Mr SKH has been training for more years than many and is perfectly entitled to his own opinion and system, on one point though, he does say that he teaches a modern application of the art, and fair dues to him having the strength and determination to sse it thru and teach it as he sees fit, in it's own right, he doesnt call it ninjitsu it has a different name with a different purpose.
It takes great strength to move away from your mentor and pursue your own convictions, only time can tell how right or successful you may have been. For those of you out there that have not met or even know Mr Hayes, I suggest keeping quiet about things you know nothing about, stick to training and when you have at least 20 years in, then feel free to spout a qualified rather than a unqualified opinion,after 20 yrs you've earned the right(doesn't mean your going to), having said that I find myself having to come to the defense of others, and quite rightly so, that is what being a "gentleman at arms" is all about.
Mr Hayes was the first to honestly go and create his own system and I have to respect him for that, in a way we all teach in our own unique way Mr Hayes simply codified into a system that embodies his style and way of thought.
My prediction for the future, is that there will be many more like him in years to come, so save the hipprocracy till then.

Regards
Mark Guest
www.bbdojo.com
New York

Posted on: 2005/3/3 4:53

Frequent Visitor
Group:
Quote:

Bruin wrote:
Hello James,
Your question does merit a polite reply of course, but the subject matter for some is sensitive, why I dont know, Mr SKH has been training for more years than many and is perfectly entitled to his own opinion and system, on one point though, he does say that he teaches a modern application of the art, and fair dues to him having the strength and determination to sse it thru and teach it as he sees fit, in it's own right, he doesnt call it ninjitsu it has a different name with a different purpose.
It takes great strength to move away from your mentor and pursue your own convictions, only time can tell how right or successful you may have been. For those of you out there that have not met or even know Mr Hayes, I suggest keeping quiet about things you know nothing about, stick to training and when you have at least 20 years in, then feel free to spout a qualified rather than a unqualified opinion,after 20 yrs you've earned the right(doesn't mean your going to), having said that I find myself having to come to the defense of others, and quite rightly so, that is what being a "gentleman at arms" is all about.
Mr Hayes was the first to honestly go and create his own system and I have to respect him for that, in a way we all teach in our own unique way Mr Hayes simply codified into a system that embodies his style and way of thought.
My prediction for the future, is that there will be many more like him in years to come, so save the hipprocracy till then.

Regards
Mark Guest
www.bbdojo.com
New York

1. I AM A "NON BUJINKANNER" hence the forum catagory.
Therefore, there is no hippocracy to what I am stating. (if you meant me).

2. You suggest that anybody that does not know someone who is a public figure and displaying info about their experiences on their website can not be discussed unless you train for 20 years until you might "earn the right"? Are you serious? Did you make up that rule? I don't want to train for 20 years in order to discuss these things. Is this a rule on here or somthing?

3. People often use martial arts "time" and "rank" to make up for their lack of "rank" (money, respect, self esteem, ect.) in society. When they are in the martial arts world they can feel respected and somehow better than others. When they are in regular society outside of the dojo or whatever, they are no better than anyone else. nobody cares what style or rank or how much time you spent knowing who. Wake up and come into the real world, where most of the combat is making money and gaining good relationships outside the internet or dojo. I'm not saying this is your case, I don't know you. This is not a stab at you guys.

I don't have a problem with either of you. However, you do not outrank me if I am not in your organization. I am just a man trying to survive like I'm sure you are. I wish you happieness. I gotta go make some money...

Posted on: 2005/3/3 5:45

Deleted_
I think its an important distinction to say "his own system for teaching ninjutsu" rather than simply "his own system."

Nothing, and I mean NOTHING of what SKH is teaching nowadays is new, and he would be the first to tell you that. What's 'new' is his philosophy and practice as to how that old knowledge might best be presented and made applicable to modern day folks. Many question his motivations in doing so and that is their right. I question their motivations, as is my right.

Ninjutsu is a living art, not just a museum piece to be 'preserved'.

Is that paragraph true? I take the man very much at his word so I would say 'yes', but mine is just one voice out of many and I'm sure there are plenty who could offer convincing argument as to that not being the case.

At its root, I think that the ENTIRE ninpo/Bujinkan experience, and everyone and everything associated and/or seemingly or otherwise DISassociated with it, present/past/future, is part of an ongoing real-life lesson/application of . . . ninpo.

Enjoy the show!

Posted on: 2005/3/3 7:17

Group:
Gaijin (Inactive)
Is that paragraph true? One word....

MARKETING

Posted on: 2005/3/3 9:04

(1) 2 3 4 ... 18 »