Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Socialize

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Some Food for Thought
Deleted_

"The next time you are in conflict, don't resist. When the person you are dealing with finds no resistance, they change. They go to another place. It's so simple in theory and difficult in practice. You get into arguments because you think you are right. So stop thinking you are right!"

Posted on: 2005/6/24 23:33
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Some Food for Thought
Active Kutakian
From Sheffield, England
Group:
村民 :: Villager
Quote:

seansnyder wrote:

"So stop thinking you are right!"

Would it therefore follow that you think that you're wrong about this?

Posted on: 2005/6/25 0:50

Village Old Timer
From Dayton, Ohio
Group:
Ok, I'll bite,

This is a great philosophy but it only works up to a point. Kind of a Kenny Roger's line of thought in that you have to know when to hold them, and when to fold them.

There comes a time when you do have to stand your ground - it all depends on where you draw the line. Some times it is good to draw the line with disappearing ink! The problem comes in when we draw the line in flaming red paint over very superficial things like our stuff, our pride and ego!

Where do you draw your line?

Marty

Posted on: 2005/6/25 9:37

Frequent Visitor
From Malta, Middle of the Med. Sea
Group:
i think some situations that call for resistance, and taking the decision to actually resist
are ultimately practical
like personally i m not interested in a life that offers me no moments of resistance

letting the order of things unfold through inaction towards resistance is, i find, removing the spice from life

to illustrate this
taking your reasoning i think would mean neverdoing anything much
therfore
not going to train
therefore
not enjoying it as i do
therefore not feasible!

Posted on: 2005/6/25 12:04

Villager
From Phoenix, AZ
Group:
I think you're thinking too much.

Posted on: 2005/6/25 12:11

Villager
From Singapore
Group:
Quote:

"The next time you are in conflict, don't resist. When the person you are dealing with finds no resistance, they change. They go to another place..."

Hi
Unfortunately, while this is one of those wonderful theories it often has little application in real life. Just look through history and you will find that time and again when people do not stand up to agressors then the agressor just keeps going and rolls right over everyone. A history lesson would take too long, but every expansionist from the earliest of times through to Hitler and beyond has only been stopped by confrontation rather than a lack of resistance.

I will qualify the above remarks by pointing out that in actual combat this may well work to some extent. If there is no resistance in your taijutsu it is very difficult for your opponent to get a grip on what you are doing, right up until you "resist" in the form of noshing him in some painful way

Justyn

Posted on: 2005/6/25 12:27

Frequent Visitor
From Malta, Middle of the Med. Sea
Group:
i am thinking too much
... so what!

ah check the title
its "food for thought"

Posted on: 2005/6/25 12:45

Kutaki Postmaster
From Wyoming
Group:
This approach does work very well in fairly inconsequential interpersonal conflicts. I work in a hotel with young, relatively inexperienced people. They like to invite lots of drama into their lives because we live in a small town, and this is what the TV teaches them to do.

Often, when they bring me conflict, I just acknowledge their problem, apologize if appropriate, and get on with my task. This just boggles them most of the time, as they have prepared for a big showdown and huffing and puffing.

It is jutaijutsu. The opponent wants to go somewhere and is expecting resistance, you let them go where they want to go, but they don't get what they expected and are defeated without much effort. You meet your goals and therefore attain victory of a sort.

Posted on: 2005/6/25 16:31

What? Yes...that's how I do that....why...why do you ask?

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor