Register now!
Socialize

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: First encounters with Japanese Language
Deleted_
Quote:

Kingyo wrote:
• Don't be lazy with pronunciation. Make sure you don't elongate your vowels. Never and I mean NEVER!! elongate them. The vowels in Japanese are as follows:

And study the rhythm of the language, too. (You are saying this?)
To develop your prosody, I highly recommend you repeat your favorite material (a good one, of course, and the length should be 10 min. or so for beginners) more than 300 times and try to be perfect.

Quote:

• Don't be afraid to make mistakes. That fear IMHO is the main reason don't advance when learning a language. Let it fly and if you make a mistake it doesn't matter.

I agree, but you need somebody who can correct your errors. Otherwise, your enthusiasm will help you get bad habits as well as good ones.

Quote:

• Hang out with Japanese people, especially one's that speak poor English. That way you're forced to practice.

I suggest you study a lot on your own before doing that and try to use only what you have studied.

There is a Japanese guy who had mastered more than 20 foreign languages before he became 30 years old (this guy lives in the US now). He said in his book that the later we get acquainted with foreigners, the better. This statement is based on the fact that we gain bad habits very easily when we don't have good Kihon. Same in Budo, as you know.

Quote:

• Eat lot's of natto. The Japanese surgeon general has determined that eating natto causes your mouth to reshape itself and better conform to speaking the Japanese language. Really! No Kidding!

Ooooops, should I eat Natto?

Posted on: 2005/8/23 7:25
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Kutaki Postmaster
From Brooklyn - USA
Group:
村民 :: Villager
Quote:

George_Ohashi wrote:

Quote:

• Eat lot's of natto. The Japanese surgeon general has determined that eating natto causes your mouth to reshape itself and better conform to speaking the Japanese language. Really! No Kidding!

Ooooops, should I eat Natto?

I think you should go on a six day long natto fast. And I think that all the Gaijin students in the Bujinkan should eat natto and like it. How else can you learn to use the divine wind?

I'll bet Soke loves natto.

Posted on: 2005/8/23 10:59
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

村長 :: Sonchou
From Victoria, BC, Canada
Group:
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
議長 :: Mod
村民 :: Villager
Hi there,

I know a Japanese lady who is married to an American guy and the first book she recommended to him to start learning Japanese from was this one:

"旅の指さし会話帳 21 JAPAN"
(たびのゆびさしかいわちょう 21 JAPAN)
TABI NO YUBI SASHI KAIWA CHOU 21 JAPAN

ISBN4-7958-1843-6

Company: JOHO センタ しゅっぱんきょく
榎本年弥 (えのもととしや)

JOHO SENTA SHUPPAN KYOKU
ENOMOTO TOSHIYA

It looked pretty interesting to me. Lots of pictures with what they are called in Japanese. It might be worth thumbing through.

Posted on: 2005/8/24 2:53

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor