What is in the Ima Ninja book?
村長 :: Sonchou
From Victoria, BC, Canada
Group:
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
議長 :: Mod
村民 :: Villager
OK, OK, OK.
Can we please get back to the topic at hand?

Some people think that moderators lock too many threads here on Kutaki but when they get this off topic, and start to heat people up, it is hard to not want to take out the keys. . .

Posted on: 2005/9/2 1:16

Re: Japanese required?
Kutaki Postmaster
From Brooklyn - USA
Group:
Quote:

George_Ohashi wrote:
[quote]

I have met a lot of people who don't understand English, and almost all of them are Spanish-speaking people. Most people from most other countries understand English well (some are really good). I don't know the reason, but this is true. So, Spanish can be treated specially in that sense.

Joji san, Yes thank you for making that observation there is nothing wrong with saying that and it's 100% true, IMHO. The reason for that is that the two main world powers are English speaking. Throught the two world wars, etc. The U.S. and England were able to spread their culture. Spain was a little out of the picture. It may be because, if I recall, they were caught up in their own strifes with a civil war and the Franco years. Their language didn't spread throuout Europe like English did.

Example: Before the end of WWII German was learned as a second language throught eastern Europe. Now All the young People speak English as a second language. Their is a clear dividing line between the old and the young. In Amsterdam they speak American English because of the huge amount of American TV they watch there traditionaly. They even made the Japanese and Germans learn English. Most of the rest of Europe speaks British style English. But of course not every where. In the vast majority of places they Speak no english in Europe any more than anyone one who learned Spanish or French as a second language during high scool in the US. Pretty much zilch!

Also, speaking both languages with no accent at all, I know what the transition is rough from one to the other and I'm still not sure if it's harder for an English speaker to learn Spanish or the other way around. But the mouths used in each are very different.

FYI: the mouth for Spanish and the mouth for Japanese are allmost identical. It is much easier for Spanish speakers to pick up a good Japanese accent, allthough the grammer may be crapy like mine is.

For the two reasons, A. the one you mentioned about the Spanish not speaking English, and B. That they are the biggest non Spanish speaking group in the Bujinkan (wouldn't you say, Joji san?), I think there should be something here for them.

Posted on: 2005/9/2 1:38
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: What is in the Ima Ninja book?
Deleted_
Quote:

diamondjoe wrote:
OK, OK, OK.
Can we please get back to the topic at hand?

Well, I suggest we go to this thread. We should have done so much earlier.
(Or, considering the contents of this thread, it may be the best if the mod of this forum renames this thread and moves it to Soapbox.)

Posted on: 2005/9/2 3:16

Re: Japanese required?
Deleted_
Hello All!

English and Spanish are BOTH in the 'top five most spoken [first] languages' in the world. Both of these languages were spread through a violent and unrelenting colonialism that has obliterated many indigenous languages on several continents. That there is discrimination against Spanish speakers in the many parts of the United States is undeniable. That Spanish speakers are descriminating against minority languages in many parts of Central and South America is also undeniable. But let us not be simplistic in limiting these statements about descrimination to the English and Spanish speaking worlds. Pick a country, any country, and one is likely to find that there are minority languages that are being pushed to extinction by discriminatory policies, aggressive policies in some cases and more passive policies in others. (Japan is no exception!)

Let us work to make the Bujinkan and Kutaki a place where we can leave such stuggles for supremecy aside and communicate with each other with courtesy and consideration, whatever the language we choose to use. In order to acheive this we must give each other the benefit of the doubt and presume that questions to our posts and about our choice of language are made in the spirit of cooperation and not as a personal attack. If it turns out that this presumption be false, then it is truly at the loss of those that make the mean-spirited post, isn't it?

Well, I apologize for continuing off topic, but I think these are important enough issues.

Nigahv (That is all)
Wado Igali (Thank you friends)
Ahyv Tsali Haloyi ale tsitsalagi (I am KH and I am Cherokee)

(Cherokee is a minority language in North America. It has been actively and passively oppressed and suppressed by the US government for a long time)

Posted on: 2005/9/2 3:24

Re: What is in the Ima Ninja book?
村長 :: Sonchou
From Victoria, BC, Canada
Group:
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
議長 :: Mod
Quote:

George_Ohashi wrote:
Well, I suggest we go to this thread. We should have done so much earlier.
(Or, considering the contents of this thread, it may be the best if the mod of this forum renames this thread and moves it to Soapbox.)

Please go to the thread linked above (in the Soapbox) if you want to continue discussing the Spanish language. This thread is now locked. If someone wants to continue talking about the Ima Ninja book then please start a new thread.

Posted on: 2005/9/2 10:08

« 1 2 3 (4)

Topic is Locked

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor