Dpinga

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

Just a little worried
Villager
From Manchester, England
Group:
村民 :: Villager
Hi to all fellow practitioners, i just have a small problem in mind which i so happen to be worried about, today whilst traveling home from training with my fellow practitioner, we encountered a bunch of guys or a better name to call them "thugs" and obviously they were mouthing off to us both, but as you know the better of the 2 either to fight or just ignore them we stuck with ignoring them. Now it is at the same place were i take my route in traveling to work and training but, i'm just a little worried about encountering them again, as to be honest with you i'm not really a fighter and if that ever happens to occure i get a little worried. Again i do not wish to resort to violence and do not wish to encounter those guys again. could somone please shed some light on this matter and also has anyone else happened to come across these kinds of people.
Thanks in advance.

Giuseppe Storto

Posted on: 2005/9/5 6:21

Re: Just a little worried
Villager
From The Netherlands
Group:
Well , don't see it like it is/was a problem.
If you worry about it , it's a problem ; if you don't worry about it's not

Maybe you worry about all kinds of things around this situation while it in fact means allmost nothing.

Don't get me wrong ; today's world is really hard but if you can worry less then i think you feel better overall

Just my two eurocents

Posted on: 2005/9/5 7:23

Villager
From Wisconsin USA
Group:
議長 :: Mod
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
I can't speak for the personality of "thugs" in Europe or the U.K. but in America their pretty much the same all over. Being an old New York boy and raised in it, I would venture to say that the following things might be something to consider but don't take it as advise, just thoughts to ponder:
1. Thugs are the way they are and travel in groups because alone they are scared.
2. Fear is picked up on by these type of people and it is the fearful that they prey on.
3. Acting like you don't care with a smattering of "mess with me and I'll cave your face in", (just a smattering of that attitude - too much will come across like your the same badass they think they are which is a challenge), when your walking by might be helpful.
4. If it comes to it and you have to defend yourself start with verbal defense to try to diffuse it. If that doesn't work do your best to pick out the leader of the group. Drop them like a sack of potatoes and the rest of the group rarely follows because they follow him cause he's the badass. Drop the leader and your the king of the hill now.
(must be quick and without mercy by the way. Fair fighting gets absolutely no respect in gang stuff)
5. Remember to accuse one of them of you knowing them as a cop. This works great to cause dissention in the ranks.
(something like "If I were you guys I'd be spending more time checking out your buddy here - I remember him in uniform. He's a cop!") This works especially well with the meth - crack - hyper paranoid types.
6. Walk with a rubber tipped cane as an equalizer, (Papasan should like this one ) or a large mouthed plastic soda bottle for metsubishi to buy time. (water or soda is fine - don't do something illegal - really)
7. Don't travel in sneakers. Wear good lightweight boots. Life sucks to be you if your feet are in a crappy position to run or be used as self defense options.

Anyone else want to chime in on this one?

Posted on: 2005/9/5 7:43
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Deleted_
Hello -

I recommend discussing this with your instructor(s). Hopefully I can offer some other food for thought.

I have been bitten by a few dogs, the experiences taught me to never turn my back on them, always keep moving, be evasive. Once you are out of 'their' territory, they usually go back to the porch they lept from.

Barking dogs don't usually bite right away. Those hurried footsteps from behind are what worry me the most...

You don't want to respond in a way that makes you fun to toy with. If your pride or anger take over, you will be easier to manipulate.

Also, make certain that the path you are leaving on is the one you have chosen, not the one you are being pushed into. Try to stay away from traps and dead ends. Invest some spare time off and learn the neighborhood.

Other options could be to leave earlier, or later and take a little longer route. Ride a bus to a different drop point to approach the dojo from. Since there are two of you, consider hiring a taxi for the ride home if that is the time of trouble. Or ask some of the other dojo members for a ride when possible, kick in some gas money... Mix up your routes and times in case they are looking for you out of boredom.

What I normally do as I approach other people walking down the street is to look at the eyes even if they aren't looking at me. I also scan in their entire body when I do this to determine if there is a problem or just to watch how they step from one foot to the other. If they do glance back at me, I usually smile and nod in acknowledgement to their presence, even greet them as we pass. I look at people 100 feet away or 6 feet away, the further the better.

Another helpful thing with people is if you can learn their names. Knowing someone's name seems to change their perspective of you, perhaps at least your value. Sometimes it can take their balance a bit when you greet them by name.

People who run in groups tend to be bolder because they have immediate support. Taking out the lead person as YamaMizu said can be an excellent tactic IF you have to fight.

*edit* Fighting is not usually the best option, I can't seem to recall any one ever being 'the winner'. If you have doubts about your skills, attacking a ring leader may be disasterous for you or your associate. Even if you 'win', there may be other consequences to your detriment. A sore loser may begin to stalk you or worse. *edit*

If you perhaps meet one of the group by themselves strike up a conversation to learn what you can about the group. Definitely divulge as little as possible about yourself... This takes a bit of practice and forethought for me.

Learning to deal with these situations will always be helpful. Who knows, what you learn may help you with your next boss...

Again, I recommend you discuss this with your instructor.

I hope this is helpful. Take care.

Posted on: 2005/9/5 8:17

Deleted_
Hey all you bujinkaners out there!
As for your situation, I'd just ignore them and go about my business. But I guess it's hard, since it seems, or they really are, targeting you. I've had similar situations. God, I wish being invisable was as easy as they say! lol
One thing you can try is, if he aproaches you, quickly pull out a snicker bar and offer it to him. This just might work if he's hungry. If that doesnt work, I'd act mentally ill, while faoming out the mouth. But the best advice is to consult your instructor, I'm sure he has some great advise/stories. Cheers!

Posted on: 2005/9/5 9:20

Village Old Timer
From Dayton, Ohio
Group:
Your worries are natural and part of an intelligent mind. It would be ignorant to not be somewhat anxious when faced with a threat. You will likely find the level of anxiety changes over the years as you train and are better able to sense the danger involved - or just the noisy gongs.

It is best to speak softly, and carry a big stick. Let them talk, and do not fuel their trash talk by anger or fearfull responses. Be ready to fight if necessary - or have local police on speed dial on your cellular phone! Anticipate exit strategies.

Most of all, Keep alert!

Marty.

Posted on: 2005/9/5 9:40

Honorary Villager
From Santa Barbara, CA, USA
Group:
I would like to post one of the random quotes that comes up on this site sometimes, and I think that it should be kept in your thoughts

When we hate our enemies, we are giving them power over us: power over our sleep, our appetites, our blood pressure, our health, and our happiness. Our enemies would dance with joy if only they knew how they were worrying us, lacerating us, and getting even with us! Our hate is not hurting them at all, but our hate is turning our own days and nights into a hellish turmoil.
-- Dale Carnegie

Don't worry about whether or not they are going to jump you. The fact that they know they are instilling fear in you is good enough for them (because it makes them feel good). The best thing to do when you do see them again is to act like you aren't paying any attention to them, but keep your wits about you and pay close attention to them. By this I mean, don't stare/look at them, but while walking past them keep them in your field of view, just act like you don't even notice them. This is just my opinion, it has worked for me many times...

Posted on: 2005/9/5 13:45

The way of the Ninja is the way of enduring, surviving, and prevailing over all that would destroy one. ~Dr. Masaaki Hatsumi~

Wherever I am, anyone in need has a friend.
Whenever I return home, everyone is glad ...

Village Old Timer
From oz
Group:
chances are if they were going to do anything they would have done it. what happens now is more or less up to you.
bullies very rarely 'bully' straight away, normally it's a build up over several meetings, edging closer to their goal as their confidence builds. what you have to do is nip it in the bud straight away, as soon as they start get in their with a " not you [guys] again, why don't you [go away] and bother someone else". the trick is in the delevery, not to agro or loose your cool, but not to jokey either and keep eye contact all the time. you may get away with that or you may have to trade insults a bit before it is diffused.

but it might get violent(unlikely) so be ready to drop the biggest or nearest as quickly and violently as you can,like it or not. but don't try to be their 'mate' or be too nice, they will only see it as a weakness.

you could ofcourse travel a different route, but what if their are even more of these types there too. people are people everywhere, best learn to deal with it. but if you have travelled that route many times before, and never seen them, chances are you won't again.

good luck,

p.s you don't have to be brave, just be good at pretending to be.

Posted on: 2005/9/5 18:34

Oldschoolcarpentry.com.au

Cant Stay Offline
From Hamina, Finland
Group:
議長 :: Mod
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
One could think that one might get physically attacked because...

1) one seems weak (a victim "trigger")
2) one comes accross as arrogant (the alpha male "trigger")

If one is simply naturally... there... then most of these cases might go away. Anything that goes away from the "normal" behaviour naturally stands out and will attract unwanted attention. I think this is one of the strong points in learning martial arts - you understand yourself, and the relation to others. No need to be anything else. Just you. Naturally. Blending in the masses, stepping on no toes, causing no waves but riding them

Posted on: 2005/9/5 18:42
(Bujinkan Budōka since 1985)

Villager
From Manchester, England
Group:
thanks to everyone for their insight. But in a strange sense isnt ignoring somthing of that nature a means of getting back at them, because me and my friend we just walked past them pretending that they didnt exsist. Now my thought is that if you do ignore someone the more frustrated they get, because you are not fueling their ego so to speake. And the lord only knows how much ppl hate ignorance.

Thanks again Bujinkaners.

Giuseppe Storto

Posted on: 2005/9/5 20:58

(1) 2 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor