Register now!
Socialize

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

what is yhe difference between Tai Chi and Ninjutsu
Frequent Visitor
Group:
村民 :: Villager
What is the difference in Tai Chi and Ninjutsu besides that one started in China and the other one in Japan?

Posted on: 2006/2/5 13:14
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: what is yhe difference between Tai Chi and Ninjutsu
Active Kutakian
Group:
afaik,

tai chi chuan is a martial art stemming from taoist roots in china. they practice empty hand forms for a long time(10 years) before moving on to weapons, they consider the straight sword as a master's weapon, know medicinal systems, either lives hermetically or a normal life and not afraid to accept challenges to prove their kung fu.

on the other hand,

ninjutsu is a myriad of traditions brought together from either religious or military sources. they use common tools as weapons, know guerilla warfare, serves their family head or their daimyo, lives or disguises oneself as various kinds of workers, and has shadowy histories, distorted further by the masses.

and in ninjutsu, they are using birds for communications and escape, while in taichichuan they're more concerned with stroking the bir... bird's tail!

Posted on: 2006/2/5 14:08

"Don't ask me. I need time to practice rather than answering to it." - Harada Masanori

just playing the ONI's advocate!

Permanent Village Fixture
From Antwerp Belgium
Group:
Weird question... it's like asking: "what's the difference between Figure Skating and Australian Football?"

Posted on: 2006/2/6 7:56

Shodan Bujinkan Budō Taijutsu
"Shodan" means "beginners grade"...

From Austin,TX
Group:
Quite an interesting topic in my opinion. My Taijiqan sifu made a joke, comparing learning Taijiqan to learning carpentry, and learning Ninjutsu to learning how to build an outhouse.

Posted on: 2006/2/6 9:43

Please be careful not to have preconceptions, and to always remember the idea of truth-and-falsehood.
-- Hatsum

Cant Stay Offline
From Pennsylvania, USA
Group:
議長 :: Mod
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
My question to your instructor would be simply, what expertise do you have in Ninjutsu? If he has only accepted the commonly held attitudes as fact he has no basis for making a comparison. In addition it could be very possible that his viewpoint was a bit bias. One thing is definately true, if you take as expert the opinion of one who is not, you will have a disaster as a result for yourself.
Ed Martin aka Papa-san

Posted on: 2006/2/6 13:24

Village Old Timer
From Dayton, Ohio
Group:
I have a similar "joke" for your teacher,

Tai Chi is thinking about holding a saw, Ninjitsu is using the saw to cut your head off.

Marty.

Posted on: 2006/2/6 13:40

Village Old Timer
From Dayton, Ohio
Group:
After posting and reading it, I think my joke came off much more harsh than I had intended it. Actually I see alot of tai chi in the movements of taijutsu. Probably because they have simlar beginings. That and the fact that there are only so many ways you can move the human body in relation to another.

Please take my joke only as seriously as you took your teachers joke.

Thanks.

Marty

Posted on: 2006/2/6 13:49

Kutaki Postmaster
From Sydney, Australia
Group:
Quote:

Kennin wrote:
Weird question... it's like asking: "what's the difference between Figure Skating and Australian Football?"

Figure Skating is more violent.

Posted on: 2006/2/7 7:11

From Austin,TX
Group:
My response to my Taijiqan sifu's joke was a hearty laugh and a smile. Not every single thing every single person says to me is going to impact what I consciously decide to do. I think people need to chill out, and take life a little more light heartedly. I've found that one's attitude about a situation has great impact upon the outcome of the situation.

Posted on: 2006/2/7 8:10

Please be careful not to have preconceptions, and to always remember the idea of truth-and-falsehood.
-- Hatsum

Active Kutakian
Group:
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
It has been my observation and belief that all of the ancient arts may start at a different place and take a different path--but, they eventually wind up in a very similar place. When I studied Hsing-i, Chuan-Fa, Kuoshu, Tai Chi in Taiwan about 44 years ago I didn't really appreciate the flow or where it should take me at the higher level. Now I can see that taijutsu and tai chi, practiced at the higher levels, are so very much at the same apex of combative arts. We must remember that we are all at the beginnings of our study and really great teachers are few and far between. What we commonly see and train is limited by our beginning levels of training, teachers who are in their first 20-30 years of training(themselves), and the quickly disappearing "Masters" from the old country. If we do find a really great teacher with 30 plus years of training-hold on to them like having a treasure-they're so rare (and usually Asian). When we observe their flow and the combat application of their respective arts, then, we can see that there are far more similarities than differences. We will all meet at the apex with around 30-50 years of study and practice. Best wishes.

Posted on: 2006/2/7 23:43

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor