Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Web Suicide Pacts Surge In Japan
Cant Stay Offline
From Sacramento, CA (USA)
Group:
村民 :: Villager
村長 :: Admin
議長 :: Mod
This is sad... Unfortunately, the same kind of thing is happening here in the US with our kids too. It seems to be a common thing with a new type of sub-culture called "Emo", mostly amongst early to late teens (oh, puberty!).

Sad to see it spreading... Parent, monitor your kids' online activities!

Posted on: 2006/2/10 3:25

I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, or in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. ~ Thomas Jefferson

Kutaki Postmaster
Group:
GASP!! Darren are you suggesting that parents should actually be interested in their kids lives and take an active part in it? Instead of letting T.V. and the internet raise them!?!? The Scandal!

oh if my sarcasm gets too much for you feel free to kick me in the head!

Posted on: 2006/2/10 7:36

Alan McPherson

村長 :: Sonchou
From Budapest - Hungary
Group:
I have the feeling that this is a "problem of abundance".
I don't know how things are over there but I know that life here keeps me busy enough and it is entertaining enough (even if on a negative way) for me to actually commit suicide - no matter how down I feel sometimes.
There are so many things to learn and experience out there! If someone can't recognize this, that person is mentally or emotionally "lazy". Is it a question of maturity? If yes, there should be some problem with child rearing... Young people should be provided with advice in times of difficulties and should be set a good example. Also, some slaps can work wonders if needed - because there are times when you have to go mean and take that whip .
So I think all these are mainly the parents' duties.
IMHO

Eva

Posted on: 2006/2/10 17:13

Frequent Visitor
From Berlin, germany
Group:
Quote:

Cuthalion wrote:
I have the feeling that this is a "problem of abundance".

Maybe the opposite is also correct, esp. in modern societies there are huge differences between the chances in life for people, depending on the level of education of your parents, the people you know and many more.
In addition to this point (which has been valuable over the times), the speed of development has increased sharply over the last decades. So it gets more and more difficult to follow this process. Third point might be the transparency of possible "going down" by a crisis like unemployment, divorce, decreasing income because of changing cirumstances in your contract etc
So maybe modern societies are "too fast" for some people, who are skilled enough to see the danger but not strong enough to face it. This point of not-being-strong-enough is maybe the result of experiences which tought the person in question to deal with problems by him/her own, instead of seeking help. Because asking for help seems a sign of weekness to them.

Quote:

Cuthalion wrote:
There are so many things to learn and experience out there! If someone can't recognize this, that person is mentally or emotionally "lazy".

So is it possible that they are not "lazy" but tired?

jm2c

Burkhard

Posted on: 2006/2/10 18:02

From Chiba, Japan
Group:
My own explanation is simply "stressed out." Which comes from "too much [expectations from others]", "too fast [a pace of life]", etc.

One of the things that I noticed early on when I came to Japan was that many people sleeping on the trains still often had a stressed look on their face, their brow furrowed with worry and stress even in their dreams.

The amount of stress put on kids to perform in school, for example, is really unbelievable here, especially those preparing for high school and university.

Shawn

Posted on: 2006/2/10 18:18

Gurei Dojo | Blog
Facebook

From Budapest - Hungary
Group:
Quote:

Burkhard wrote:
So maybe modern societies are "too fast" for some people, who are skilled enough to see the danger but not strong enough to face it. This point of not-being-strong-enough is maybe the result of experiences which tought the person in question to deal with problems by him/her own, instead of seeking help. Because asking for help seems a sign of weekness to them.

Well as I understood the article is about this suicide tendency among the younger generation, among people in their teens-twenties. That's why I thought that it's a kind of overreacting things. I have also been a teengager, and I have to admit, that yeah, I had suicide thoughts as things seemd to be unsolveable at those times, and I never asked for help from anyone. Still I never went as far as actually doing it because that "red light" always came up at the end, kind of I stopped feeling pitty for myself.

The situation is a bit different in case of adults who really have some experience in life, who really have valuable things to loose. Therefore if they get to the point of seriously considering suicide that might (but not necessarily) have a bit more base in my opinion. Yes, even then it is a question of "not being able to see the way out" or "not being strong enough" to wait until time solves things, but at least there is less chance for that the whole issue is about merely feeling desperate self-pitty.

Quote:

Burkhard wrote:
So is it possible that they are not "lazy" but tired?

Yes, very possible. Since I grew up I had one occassion when I was in a really miserable situation, when I got to the very very very end of all things, but I was not too tired to ask for help because I knew that throwing my life away for such a reason would have been an insane thing to do. I hope that if I will ever get into such a situation again, I will not be too tired to ask for help.
But there is one thing here: you should ask for help much earlier - not when you are already standing on the top of the skyscraper ready to jump.
Is it a weekness? Well, that's the point where the difference comes out. I have to give it in at this point as nothing can be done about that we're dealing with things differently. Like fighting against the wind. It's something that I can only accept and respect.

Eva

Posted on: 2006/2/10 19:37

From Budapest - Hungary
Group:
Quote:

kouryuu wrote:
One of the things that I noticed early on when I came to Japan was that many people sleeping on the trains still often had a stressed look on their face, their brow furrowed with worry and stress even in their dreams.

In comparison to this I can consider myself lucky for living in a country with a slower pace. Although life is not only not easy here, but it's downright very hard, as you have to face serious living-problems month-by-month.

Quote:

kouryuu wrote:
The amount of stress put on kids to perform in school, for example, is really unbelievable here, especially those preparing for high school and university.

Oh yes, I have already heard about it, it just escaped my attention when I wrote my previous response to Brukhard.
Well, it throws new light upon the question of suicide in younger age - as we do not experience this specific problem here in Hungary. That's why I did not understand what kind of sky-rocking problems teengers can have. But okay, now I see. And can't comment it as I've never been there.

Eva

Posted on: 2006/2/10 19:57

Cant Stay Offline
From Sacramento, CA (USA)
Group:
I work with high school kids and so I have seen these things develop increasingly over the years. One thing that is interesting is the connection between those associated with the "Emo" subculture and Japanese anime and Japanese culture. I'm not sure why that is other than the pop culture of art work and anime has imagery that those kids can identify with.

I think Shawn is correct - stress of trying to "make the grade" in school, employment and just daily living. One thing over here in the US is a shift from focusing on academic achievement in schools to a "socialization" of kids in schools. The interpersonal relationships are more important than the education. This creates a culture shock when these kids are suddenly held accountable for their grades (High School Exit Exam), they fail miserably, and they think somehow it's the fault of the school or they say it's not "fair". The peer pressures of their social groups define their entire existence and reinforce their pull away from maturing into responsible adults.

Then they become adults trapped with this foundation.

I think, over here at least, too many people have been raised to think that life will be handed to them without any sort of commitment on their part. They also have had so many people make excuses for them that they cannot accept responsibility for their choices and attitudes.

However, on the internet they can live the life they want. They can create a dream world to express their own misery, frustration, and pain. And, they can find others who commiserate with them and justify their feelings. Each person's own misery propels them down the dark spiral.

So, the idea of committing suicide together is not such a lonely thing and it puts a fantasy ending to an otherwise very real inner turmoil. The internet being impersonal allows one to disconnect from their own humanity, making their own life value seem non-existent.

I don't think there is much difference between stress over here and stress in Japan. Maybe it's just created in different methods, but the effect is really the same.

Posted on: 2006/2/11 1:05

I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, or in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. ~ Thomas Jefferson

Villager
From Anderson, Ca USA
Group:
Burkhard Wrote: Because asking for help seems a sign of weekness to them.

I have grown up with people from various cultures.

Nissei and Koreans, both have a great stigma about being a burden. Be it a burden on their families, their neighborhood, their nation. I've seen my friends subject themselves to extraordinary things I wouldn't tolerate in my life, in order to maintain the status quo.

One friend considered having plastic surgery to make his nose look more like his fathers or mothers. It boiled down to people believing he wasn't their child when it came time for him to receive his inheritance. He was Nissei, for any of you with experience. No surgery was performed, thank goodness.

Posted on: 2006/2/11 1:40

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor