Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 »

Re: Kutaki Access - Important!
Villager
From The Netherlands
Group:
村民 :: Villager
Quote:

Your name has to be clearly visible on the card.

On all membership cards i got there was no name.
Just got my card for this year and that one is a blank also.

I only saw names on the white shidoshikai cards , untill now i never noticed the yellow ones with names.

I can alter the image if needed ( digital watermark or something like that )

Posted on: 2006/4/13 8:47

村長 :: Sonchou
From Victoria, BC, Canada
Group:
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
議長 :: Mod
Hi there,

Usually, your card is blank when you receive it; even in Japan. You are then supposed to sign your own name on it. Kinda like when you get a gold visa card in the mail, you are supposed to sign it right away!!

Posted on: 2006/4/14 2:25

Deleted_
Quote:

noname wrote:
The new membership card rule makes sense to me. A Bujinkan oriented/operated website, for discussion of Bujinkan related/oriented topics, should almost be obligated to adhere to Bujinkan rules.

What rules pertain to internet discussion forums? Is there a rule prohibiting Bujinkan members from online discussions on open forums?

Is there a rule about only training with Bujinkan members? Is there even a rule that says you can only teach Bujinkan members (if you're a teacher)?

Bujinkan rules apply to Bujinkan members, not martial arts (or even Bujinkan arts) discussion forums, IMO.

Oh, well, it's virtually a done deal now. How do I delete my membership?

moderator's note: account deleted on request.

Posted on: 2006/4/14 10:18
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Frequent Visitor
From AZ
Group:
Well I know that this, with many of my other posts, will not be considered very important as I view many attitudes have become elitist on this board. I simply cannot believe with how UNcertain the future of the Bujinkan is, with most likely no next grandmaster and an uncertainty of how things will be run- that we would shut out the board to those that arent in the "club".

While I disagreed with some on posts and agreed with others, I found Kutaki to be one of the BEST overall sites on the net for good Bujinkan and OTHER martial arts discussions.

But, this utter El Torro Poo Poo (BS) about the quality of posts improving by not allowing non-bujin to post is leaving me without words to describe the absolute RETARDEDNESS of the idea.

In my opinion, which is probably extremely low here, some of the lowest "quality" of posts I have read have come from registered members on this board. I will not point fingers or name names because I am sure others view my posts as that, which is fine, but it is a sad day to think we as bujinkaners are better than others.

How egocentric do members of this art have to become to think that the views and ideas of others arent important? I guess thats because I'm a different type of Shidoshi-Kai member that believes a little more in free thinking and spirit to develop a students COGNITIVE ability to function, think and become a GOOD LEADER of the society they live in. Hence why I am sure this post will not go over well and I will be flamed, ridiculed and told I do not know as much as others.

That is correct, I do not know as much as others- which is why I enjoy a good debate here and there, like to learn what others have to say and see if I agree or disagree. I like to learn other perspectives of other martial artists, not just Bujinkan Clones.

I have been a member of the Shidoshi-kai since 98/99 and never bothered to scan my card to gain access to the Shidoshi Kai forum just for this reason. As everyone says how this is Hatsumi's art (which is funny cause I thought it was EVERYones art, not just one person AND I thought the provinces in Japan back 1,000+ years ago invented what is known as the bujinkan, not just one person- but as usual i am WRONG), but I find it funny how it is HE that has the trade mark, stamp of approval etc. etc. on this art and I do not see as to why a NON SOKE has any right to ask ME to scan in MY card simply to be on a FORUM.

And just to clarify so some might get a better understanding of my perspective. I have been training In martial arts for over 15 of my 27 years on this planet and teaching for 13 of those. I have spent 11 great years in the Bujinkan and have traveled to Japan many times. As stated I have been a member of the Shidoshi Kai since 98/99 and I use what I have trained in for real life- as in posts you might have seen I am a law enforcement Officer. I say this not to "toot my own horn" but to give you a glimpse into the life of one of the soon to be FORMER members of this board- maybe I do have a bit of experience that others may learn from, but probably not because I havent been training for X years and dont have Y rank.

I hope this "decision" is rethought and non-bujinkan are allowed to post here.

If not, I hope your discussions are more enlightened than my bitterness I am sure you feel is in this post (which it is) and that Bujinkan becomes the only art out there. Because apparently there is nothing else?!

Farewell.

Posted on: 2006/4/14 10:38

From Chiba, Japan
Group:
村長 :: Admin
Although I think in one of my posts I inferred that the quality of the board would improve, I've realized that this is not necessarily the case.

HOWEVER,

Kutaki still represents the Bujinkan community (one facet of it), and the things that are said on this site can be interpreted by people to be representive of the Bujinkan community at large. It is very easy for someone who is not at all involved in the Bujinkan to post in an authoritive manner on Kutaki and for people who don't know any better to walk away with the understanding that such a person's posts are coming from a Bujinkan perspective and are representative of that perspective. Requiring cards raises the level of accountability that people (should) have for what they post. No, it doesn't make it 100% - nothing could, really. But it does raise it.

The majority of discussion boards decompose over time and eventually fail because of the introduction of material which comes from people who don't know what they are talking about and don't feel any accountability towards what they post. At least that is my experience in having participated in all kinds of forums and chat rooms over the last 11 years.

Does a membership card ensure that someone knows what they are talking about? Of course not.

Does it mean that they are training in a Bujinkan dojo? Probably. In which case they at least are posting from the perspective of someone who is training or has had experience training in a Bujinkan dojo. Which is one step up from someone who doesn't.

At the very, very least, showing a membership card shows that you are supporting the Bujinkan organization - even if you're not training. And well, if you don't train, that's your situation, but at least you're supporting the organization which this website represents, which is worth something.

What's wrong with allowing viewpoints of people that don't train in the Bujinkan? Nothing. You can find all kinds of those at other websites. Kutaki is a Bujinkan community. It is not a general martial arts community. This has been clearly stated from the time of the site's inception. What Kutaki is trying to do is present an opportunity for people to exchange and present Bujinkan views on martial arts. It has never been meant to be a place to discuss other martial arts, and I make no apology for that. You don't discuss Volkswagen Beetles on a site dedicated to the Rolls Royce. You either go to a Volkswagen site for that, or you go to a general automobile site for that. This is not a general automobile site. This is a site which focuses on a certain particular specific martial art. It isn't a one-stop-shop for martial arts.

Bujinkan membership cards are required by the Bujinkan rules anyway. This is a clear and non-debatable point. By requiring Bujinkan cards in order for people to post, we are doing right by the Bujinkan and doing right by Sensei, in my opinion. In any event, 74% of the respondents to the most recent poll said that they have Bujinkan membership cards, so its already obvious that the majority of people here shouldn't have a problem with this.

Finally,

Please understand that by living in Japan I am directly responsible for this site in the eyes of a number of people at the top of the Bujinkan organization - in that if and when something irresponsible is said, when something insulting is posted, when something in bad taste is said, those people come looking for me at the dojo even if I personally had nothing to do with the post in question. I have even had students of senior Japanese Shihan come knocking on my door at night because of irresponsible things that people have posted on this site. If I lived and trained back at home, there would be a bit of a buffer and it wouldn't be so easy for these people to hold me accountable for Kutaki. However, that is not the case. Is it being elitist of me to say this? I don't really think so. ( I've been wrong before though, so think what you Will. )

Shawn

Posted on: 2006/4/14 11:55

Gurei Dojo | Blog
Facebook

Village Old Timer
From Dayton, Ohio
Group:
Quote:

WolfClan wrote:
...I simply cannot believe with how UNcertain the future of the Bujinkan is, with most likely no next grandmaster and an uncertainty of how things will be run...

While this is not on topic, some would say that it is the lack of orgainzation of the Bujinkan that guarantees it's survival. There is no orgainzation to fall apart or run into trouble. If Soke is not worried, then neither am I.

There is no surprise that people who post on line can be considered elitists is there? Only people who have passionate feelings about what they do would bother to read and include themself in the threads here. Sure we all have our own particular point of view with so many being different from mine. I liken it to one of my favorite George Carlin bits, roughly paraphrased he said that there are 2 kinds of drivers on the highway. There are either the Idiots going slower than you, or the Maniacs going faster than you.

I know that I would never be an idiot or a maniac, but believe it or not, sometimes people disagree with me of all people!

Just as in taijutsu, the world gets a whole lot better when we don't take it too seriously!

Marty

Posted on: 2006/4/14 11:56

Unsubscribed
Deleted_Unsubscribed
basically, i have to agree with Marty, as i generally find the world to be that much more managable when i'm not taking it so seriously.

however....

looking back, at least a portion of the mistakes i've made in life were due to the fact that i wasn't taking things so seriously when, it could be argued, i should have been.

i would like to think that at least one of the many posts i've made on this forum contributed something positive to the Bujinkan community as a whole. but going back and reading all of those posts has revealed nothing of the sort.

i am a card carrying member of the Bujinkan. and that actually means something to me. it is something that i take very seriously. it stems from my need for sincerity in all my endeavours. as such, i feel that i want to take all the members of the Bujinkan community seriously as well. even the ones that i don't agree with. even the ones whom i feel, at times, have contributed even less to this forum than i have.

Hatsumi sensei has said that we must respect each other. i agree with that. i sincerely want to respect everyone in the community. that includes the man who put this forum together in the first place, and who has worked extremely hard and expended a lot of time and energy in maintaining it. yet i have come to realize that by not taking things more seriously i may have unintentionally disrespected that man. in my foolishness and immaturity, i may have unintentionally disrespected the community as well.

i think the least any of us can do is show our respect and gratitude to Shawn by giving him our support. he deserves at least that much.

i respect everyone's opinion here. however, in my humble opinion, acting like a petulant child just because you have to "scan" the membership card you already possess to a community that you willingly participate in doesn't show much respect or gratitude. Shawn didn't have to set up a forum for you to display your petulance in the first place, did he?

my hat is off to you, Shawn. personally, i think you've done a tremendous job here. not only in providing a forum for everyone in the community, but in displaying the sort of character and maturity i wish more people in the community were possessed of....including myself.

in my opinion, Shawn, you have done absolutly NOTHING to denegrate the Bujinkan with this forum. the blame for that must fall on the rest of us. so the next time you get a student of some shihan knocking on your door in the middle of the night, just send them over to my house. i'll straighten them out for you.

as for those of you who are upset that non-Bujinkaners out there won't get to play here anymore: calm down, have your mommy get you a cookie, suck it up and deal with it. it ain't the end of the world.

mark spada

Posted on: 2006/4/14 15:38

From Budapest - Hungary
Group:
議長 :: Mod
村長 :: Admin
Hey Allz,

I saw many serious concerns here, and -maybe because I am "on the safe side", and also as I don't possess a bright mind- I still think you overcomplicate the whole issue, it is much more simple in my opinion.

Is posting on this forum important for you? Then do the necessary steps. Scan your card. Don't you have a card? Join the Bujinkan. If I really want something I go for it and do everything that needs to be done to achieve my goal.
Don't you want to bother with scanning/obtaining your card, the whole thing does not worth it? You've set up your priorities, you brought a decision, so accept its conclusions as well.

Just some facts to reconsider:

- this is a Bujinkan discussion board
- thus (as Shawn wrote) it inevitably represents the Bujinkan towards the outsider world, not matter who posts what (member or non-member - as was also pointed out)
- it's not us who manage the whole stuff, so we don't have an idea about that part of the coin
- the person who runs the board is automatically kind of responsible for what is on it - this is something he can't avoid
When I read that he was asked about the posts in the dojo, and others even visited him in the middle of the night (which I think is kind of rude, but anyway) I went like "holy sh..! I would not like to be in his shoes!" After a few cases like that I would probably have completely shut down the whole thing. We still have it cos the person responsible chose to apply more control and ties the board up on a shorter leash. Absolutely logical (and brave) step in my very humble opinion. Would you have done the same?

So consider it again please.

Enjoy this board? Care to be able to post in any forums? - Scan/obtain your card.
It does not worth that much for you? - It's not such a high priority for you, no problem. You still have access to some topics within Kutaki discussion board. Which means non-members can also post at those topics (as far as I understood), they can share their valuable or less valuable views.

Where is the problem, people??? Try to see the long-run interest of the whole discussion board (if it's important for you) instead of focusing merely on your own personal conveniences.

And now you can start bashing me for being a simp or elitist, I don't care, I overcome obstacles more easily this way.

Eva
P.s.: Unbelieveable that we are still chewing on this...

Posted on: 2006/4/14 18:02

Village Old Timer
From Dayton, Ohio
Group:
Eva!

You elitist simp! Open your eyes and face the obstacles!!

Marty

Posted on: 2006/4/14 18:13

Village Old Timer
From oz
Group:
if 'outsiders' want to post on this b.b so bad, wouldn't it be pretty simple for them to purchase the yellow card themselves and become one of the family?

heck they may even enjoy our art and the long apprenticship of learning we undertake as students. rather than trying to come in as some 'post graduate' or what ever, fishing for info from our senior dan grades.

just my thoughts, feel free to dissagree.

happy easter to all (in and out,lol)

Posted on: 2006/4/14 21:29

Oldschoolcarpentry.com.au

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 »

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor