Certificates 0 2018/5/8 4:34
schistkicker
Home Project: Shadowbox 3 2018/4/25 21:44
roufus
Ichiba 0 2018/2/21 1:18
Dpinga

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 »

Re: how takamatsu sensei lost his eye...
Just Passing Through
Group:
村民 :: Villager
I'm sure if the person with the original question posted it to Hatsumi sensei, he would answer it if he wanted to (Since he is the person most familiar with Takamatsu sensei and would know without a doubt). Do BEAR in mind, in all serious martial art fields, it is quite rude to ask of a person's weakness, and sometimes dangerous to do so, especially if that person is still alive. I do not know if this applies to past historical figures though. Anyhow good luck in your inquiry.

Posted on: 2006/11/17 20:08
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Cant Stay Offline
From Pennsylvania, USA
Group:
議長 :: Mod
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
Liz, I think you have said it very well. It is all about being respectfull and thoughtful to those in your host country. Maybe here is where one should be practicing their awareness --- especially by being aware of whatever feedback they are receiving on a subconscious level from the persons they are relating with. On one level all human beings are the same as Jack's mentor Robert Humphreys said,"their life is as valuable to them as yours is to you" etc. Operating with consideration and respect will get you a long way. In the time I spent in Saudi Arabia I was able to get a lot accomplished when others couldn't simply because I came in with a smile and greeted them in their language. It is little things like that which allow you to be forgiven your inevitable mistakes in social actions. (Like a left handed person passing some food with that hand) Each culture has their own little idiosyncracies. The Japanese don't like to say "no" and find another way of declining. Respect is an interior thing which manifests in exterior action. The internal attitude is what is most important. Maybe that is what a lot of us are talking about here. Don't let your couriousity cause you to ignore feedback on the respect issue.

Posted on: 2006/11/17 23:47

Permanent Village Fixture
From Seattle
Group:
I'm confused.

At what point was a Japanese person offended by this conversation ?
Is it necessary for someone in Sweden, Australia, or the USA to follow Japanese customs and protocol when speaking about this art (on a site hosted by a Canadian) ?

In Japan, yes. That makes sense, but....

Posted on: 2006/11/18 5:42

From Centerville, Ohio
Group:
Papa-San,
Understood, thank you.
-----------

D_Cecc,
This is a Japanese art no matter where you study it.
-----------

I'll save more of my discussions for PM's from now on, unless the subject matter is completely benign. Private conversations away from the public ear is exactly how I would have them in Japan.

-----------

Mr. Mitchell,
Thank you and I appologize for being part of the problem. You're right.

Posted on: 2006/11/18 12:23

From Dallas, TX
Group:
Quote:

Papa-san wrote:
. In the time I spent in Saudi Arabia I was able to get a lot accomplished when others couldn't simply because I came in with a smile and greeted them in their language. It is little things like that which allow you to be forgiven your inevitable mistakes in social actions.

What were you doing in Saudi Arabia, Mr. Martin?

Posted on: 2006/11/18 19:31

Honorary Villager
From Sioux Empire
Group:
Now... that's probably best asked privately via e-mail or PM.

Common sense isn't.

Posted on: 2006/11/19 1:18

"I believe now there is no school worth its existence except as it's a form of nature study..."

-Frank Lloyd Wright

Active Kutakian
From New York
Group:
I think its safe to say that this topic is well talked out and it might be fair to say that the "eyes" have it, if it where a case of Takamatsu Sensei having three eyes then we would really be in a heated debate.
I think this question though ignorant in its inception, may have caused some interesting dialogue, within ourselves, the question of what and how you could ask Soke, is replaced with who and why would you ask Soke such a foolish question, so sometimes fools ask smart questions and other times smart people ask foolish questions of foolish people, the question/suggestion for the original poster might be, train, get on a plane show up in Japan and ask Soke, the question is trivial compared to the journey to find the answer, and is is worth the asking....M

Posted on: 2006/11/19 7:21

If "Nothing" works-then do "it".

The Art Is Alive, when the practice of living transcends the art..So Live It, Dont Just Practice it..!

Villager
From USA, PA
Group:
Gaijin (Inactive)
The interesting thing about information coming out (verified or unverified if there truly is such things) is how we are effected by it. Emotionally.

Especially when we might have felt that we should have known that information already ourselves. If we are open we may be good enough to wonder if perhaps that information was there all along and we just were not perceptive enough to see it. We may check again, whether we find that answer or not, we might re-read or re-examine from a new perspective. That is of course dependant on whether knowing that information is vital to you and your training. Otherwise you might just wait and see if the answer arrives itself.

As always, these are just my thoughts, the reader will decide their value.

Posted on: 2006/11/20 1:34

Hehehe... 3
From Dallas, TX
Group:
Ok... I have gone through the entire Quest DVD, 'Saigo no Jissen Ninja, Takamatsu Toshitsugu' and transcribed all of the translated test.

There was no reference to either Takamatsu Sensei's eye or ear handicaps.

This leads me to believe that those two websites, citing Quest as their source are simply wrong.

I did not get the unofficial book on Takamatsu Sensei that came out and I wonder if this is where something like this innacuracy is written, again, Hatsumi Sensei said to not read it as he was not consulted and could not be accurate.

As I cited earlier, He was blind in one eye since childhood and had no hearing in one ear due to a fight. I will add that in the original article, the author said it was amazing how Takamatsu Sensei was able to overcome these handicaps and adjusted to be able to hear with one ear and also write with one eye. I believe we can all find inspiration from this.

Posted on: 2006/11/24 18:41

Deleted_
Click to see original Image in a new window

In this book these injuries are mentioned

Posted on: 2006/11/24 23:44

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 »

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor