« 1 (2)

Re: Hehehe...2
Active Kutakian
From Vancouver, WA
Group:
村民 :: Villager
Quote:

JamesGarcia wrote:
I have been celebrating my 41st B-day since last week and have missed any post's....

Happy Birthday! Drink one for me.

Quote:
Allow Mr. Duncan some time to ask this question in Japan and respond. Yes???

There are several posters living in Japan that can respond as well... Which is why I made the question...

The above plead is the only question you have in any of your posts. It may be difficult fot him to respond to a question that doesn't seem to be.

Posted on: 2007/10/22 4:37

"But if you have someone who is in great need and you are still stron
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Hehehe...2
Kutaki Postmaster
Group:
James, you seem to have misread my post.

Posted on: 2007/10/22 13:37

Hehehe...
Permanent Village Fixture
From Dallas, TX
Group:
Yeah!!! Drank one for you Mr. Philip...

The question I was referring to was in my previous post pointing to Mr. Duncan's references to what I thought he stated there was no sparring in the Bujinkan.

Mr. Duncan, I was referring to your statements about sparring as;

1- "As far as I'm aware there isn't any stick sparing done in the Bujinkan"

2- "Did Takamatsu-sensei ever spar with sticks in Ishitani-sensei's dojo?"

3- "Did Hatsumi-sensei ever spar with sticks in Takamatsu-sensei's dojo?"

4- "The fact that he won shows you don't need to"

I cited statements of firsthand students of Takamatsu Sensei citing the said existence... I cited known students of Hatsumi Sensei stating said same existence of "kumite" or sparring in the "old days."

If you meant otherwise, and I thought you stated no sparring in the Bujinkan, then I apologize. But by your cited 4 quotes, I was waiting for a response to a quote I was present at directly from Mr. Manaka years before he left the Bujinkan.

If I misread your post, I apologize but yet to see other that your obvious statements.

I will post cited statement from Mr. Manaka in a moment...

Posted on: 2007/10/22 14:58

Hehehe...
From Dallas, TX
Group:
Mr Manaka's reference was to "Randori Geiko" and not "Kumite" as I posted earlier. It will take longer than a few moments.

Posted on: 2007/10/22 15:27

Re: Hehehe...
Kutaki Postmaster
Group:
I acknowledge Hatsumi-sensei has used sparing as a tool but even in the old days (from the conversation I had about it with a shihan who has been training since the beginning) it was used infrequently as a test for students. Also I have only seen or heard it done with taijutsu or ken - haven't heard anything about sparing with sticks.

If you reread my post you will see I said I wasn't aware of any stick sparing done in the Bujinkan. Hatsumi-sensei trains frequently in stick fighting but I am not aware of him sparing with it - just technical training. So unless your point is that any sparing experience is enough and that it doesn't have to be specific to the weapon I think you misread my point.

Posted on: 2007/10/22 15:37

Hehehe...15
From Dallas, TX
Group:
I thought you were inferring "Randori Geiko'" did not exist of which many state this... With sticks or not does not change it's importance or practice within the Bujinkan.

After all, Hatsumi Sensei has stated Takamatsu Sensei attacking him, without notice, using a Shinken / sharp sword before.

Stick or not, that is more than "Randori"

Posted on: 2007/10/22 15:48

Re: Hehehe...15
Kutaki Postmaster
Group:
Quote:

JamesGarcia wrote:
I thought you were inferring "Randori Geiko'" did not exist of which many state this... With sticks or not does not change it's importance or practice within the Bujinkan.

But even when I lived in Japan I remember Hatsumi-sensei having "Randori Keiko" which was pretty much just everyone standing around someone and attacking with a single attack one at a time.

I don't know how fierce it was in the old days but I do think it's more important to concentrate and practice what we are told to do now rather than basing it on an interpretation of training in the "old days" that we weren't personally involved in.

I'm not saying you are doing this but I think there are many Bujinkan Shidoshi who claim "my dojo is training as they did in the old days" and proceed with some idealised version that they have interpreted from old stories even though they weren't actually there at the time. In my opinion all they are doing is going off down their own road.

I think training should always be based on your own experience and current training - that is why we have to go to Japan every year.

Posted on: 2007/10/22 16:14

Hehehe......
From Dallas, TX
Group:
As I said before, the statements I quoted previously smacks of your stating no existence of Randori-geiko' in the Bujinkan... stick or not.

If I misread your post, I questioned it because perhaps others may have too.

I agree that many train without anyone having taught them a method of training from the "old days," but I also question instructors that only train in each years theme and things being done in Japan currently without training themselves and their students in randori in simple Kihon-gata such as Uke-nagashi and Muto'-dori. Spend anytime directly under a Japanese Shihan without this kind of basic skill and most will put you in the corner until they think you understand these which are perhaps more important than the kata or the themes.

If not for this years theme being Kukishinden Kata, many would not do any training against anything more than one punch or one kick.

I find it disheartening that I started this thread about an excellent example of Hatsumi Sensei's skills in South Africa and almost no discussion has followed about that.

Posted on: 2007/10/23 14:38

Re: Hatsumi Sensei and the South African Zulu
Frequent Visitor
From Edmonton AB
Group:
J,

I am a bit mad at you for brining it up, now I have to buy that Tai Kai.

I heard about this happening during the South Africa Tai Kai before but I did not know it was on the video. I will have to pick that up.

Posted on: 2007/10/25 5:17

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor