Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic  Topic is Locked

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 9 10 11 »

Re: Congratulations USA...
Active Kutakian
From South Carolina
Group:
村民 :: Villager
Quote:
Hachi wrote: (I got the impression that they all felt that America was a very Racist country).

I'd have to point out that America, for all her faults, is less prejudiced than the European or Central American places I've lived. Also, we don't tend to execute people because of religious preferences.

While I didn't vote for Obama, I bet he's smarter than I am and he's gonna have a challenging next four years.

For those that have missed the martial arts part of this discussion, you've missed a lot. We've successfully uke'd ourselves around and no one has been hurt even though we're jumping into some rough ground. Our training has surpassed the mere physical and we're taking warrior ways into the conversations and thoughts we share.

Leam

Posted on: 2008/11/12 4:01

Cant Stay Offline
From Pennsylvania, USA
Group:
議長 :: Mod
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
Yes I did ask Jan if the thread had been closed too quickly as it had not sunk into just name calling even though it had the potential to do so. When politics on any level are discussed that can happen quickly. I think those who posted here in this thread maintained a very reasonable attitude toward all the others posting and that IMO is a great example of what we in the Bujinkan CAN do in discussing issues that can be very passionate in their opposition to different views. Politics, ladies and gentlemen, are a fact of human life experience, we cannot avoid them, they impact our lives directly in so many ways. I do think this thread has been productive and I thank all of those who participated. For myself I'm ready to move on and will continue to maintain a wait and see attitude about our president elect. He will, or at least his choices will, affect more then just the American people. His choices most likely will affect all who post here in some way.

Posted on: 2008/11/12 10:40

Permanent Village Fixture
From Seattle
Group:
Not pertinent to this forum?
And I thought ninjutsu was historically extremely intertwined with politics.
Why not discuss such things with Buyu ?

Thanks guys for a civil debate.

Posted on: 2008/11/12 12:09
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Kutaki Postmaster
From New York, NY
Group:
My political philosophy prof year ago argued that every human activity and endeavor was political. I disagreed with him then. Now, 20 years later, I'm willing to concede that he was probably right. It helps that my perception of "politics" includes human interaction as a whole, and not merely "policy," which was how I tended to see things in those days.

Posted on: 2008/11/12 12:33

Active Kutakian
From New York
Group:
My thoughts:

Obama is President-elect, and like every President before him, I am not sure what he will actually DO in office. Whatever issues people have, I think that most of us are happy a NEW person will take office on January 20 and a new direction (hopefully positive) for the USA is ahead. I am proud that my family, friends and students exercised their right to vote.

It strikes me as relevant in this year of "Togakure Ryu," that perhaps we should all reread this essay:

Quote:
Essence of Ninjutsu
By Toshitsugu Takamatsu
33rd Sôke, Togakure Ryu

The heart of the martial arts is self-protection. However, the essence of self-protection lies in ninjutsu because ninjutsu also protects one's spirit. Therefore, without the proper spirit in martial training, one can be led to ruin.

For example, medical technology is dedicated to saving life but the misuse of it can kill people. Eating and drinking are for nourishment. However, overeating harms the body. Politicians are responsible for the governing of countries and the protection of its citizens. When these politicians are greedy, ignorant, and afraid to commit their lives to their endeavors, they only bring about disorder and cause suffering. A religion, when it is sincere and steadfast, can inspire people to protect themselves, make their families thrive, and benefit the society. When it is corrupt, it destroys people and puts the nation in jeopardy.

Therefore, if you are a master of the martial arts and practice ninjutsu, you will gain the most essential secret of all methods. This secret is called shin-shin shin-gan, "the mind and eyes of god."

This is to know tendo, "the way of heaven." The truth of heaven excludes all evil spirits and is absolutely correct. People must have faith. This is the only justice which exists in heaven and in people.

Wood, fire, soil, metal, water and spring, summer, fall, winter cannot exist without the earth. The five elemental manifestations and the four seasons balance the earth in the same manner as heaven is balanced by truth.

If a person is honest, virtuous and faithful, he is walking on "the path of heaven". When he goes with the path of heaven, he is following the will of heaven. This is the mind and eyes of god. Therefore,a ninja has to be a sensible and righteous person. Ninjutsu methods of perseverance can also be understood as methods of perception. A ninja is always calm and never surprised by any situation.

This is the Togakure Ryu martial way.

With respect,
Joe

Posted on: 2008/11/13 7:56

村長 :: Sonchou
From Chiba, Japan
Group:
村長 :: Admin
Quote:

Not pertinent to this forum?
And I thought ninjutsu was historically extremely intertwined with politics.
Why not discuss such things with Buyu?

If we were talking about politics in general, I would agree. From what I've seen though, this particular discussion is quite centered around people's personal preferences regarding the politics of only one country which is represented here. It tends to sideline everyone else.

Great quote Joe - I love that passage!

Shawn

Posted on: 2008/11/13 11:16

Kutaki Postmaster
From Colorado
Group:
Hmmm. Earlier today an old friend of mine called. He asked me about my views on what had happened in the election. We got into a discussion of strategy and tactics. He has been practicing Kung Fu since he was 16 so it was fun.

If we can drop ideology and look at the campaign perhaps there are lessons to be learned. I am pulled back to a time when I faced an obstacle in my training and could not resolve it. Suffice to say that while I respected my teacher our friendship was a hindrance. I went to Dale and asked if I could spend some time training with him.

After I think a few months I took him aside and asked him what he thought the issue was. He said "Stop fighting". Wait, I thought isn't that what this was all about? On reflection, and over the years, I began to understand. It led me to change my focus, approach and even my personal training regimen.

At another point I had pointed out to me by Dale and Mike that in our training we were only learning the skills of the foot soldiers. I think the term is Genin? They discussed the role of the other levels. I bow to those who have better Japanese as to what those were called. In any case they must have been skilled in more than just war. Tactics and strategies that related to the complex politics of the time.

So, can we look at the election in those terms. When we strip away ideology it seems that one party one won by not fighting. Keeping on point, focused, etc. Tactics, strategy and message that flowed down through the organization.

Which is funny as last night I saw a show on the brain. At one point fear was discussed. In that show current training methods for SEALs was covered. The goal was to get the trainee to react in tight situations without fear. Again, I was surprised to see techniques that mirrored one used in my training with Dale and Mike. For me the end result was calm when facing attacks.

It seems that perhaps Senator Obama showed the same skills. Focus, calm, small shifts to adjust to the byplay of politics. Little clear fear reaction. No clear indication of direct fighting which was in part left to surrogates.

Poliitcs as a metaphor for conflict. Or simply hot air on my part.

Posted on: 2008/11/13 14:05

Alan Witty...
www.warriorwindma.com

Permanent Village Fixture
From Seattle
Group:
Quote:

kouryuu wrote:

If we were talking about politics in general, I would agree. From what I've seen though, this particular discussion is quite centered around people's personal preferences regarding the politics of only one country which is represented here. It tends to sideline everyone else.

Shawn

Sideline everyone else ? Its just one thread.

Posted on: 2008/11/13 15:07

Active Kutakian
From Springfield, OR
Group:
Gaijin (Inactive)
Palin's comments about Africa were a hoax, the anonymous McCain advisor is a hoax as well...hence perhaps why so anonymous and therefore a liar...well a fictitious liar.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/13/art ... 2&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

P.S. -- this is not another Rickroll

Posted on: 2008/11/14 10:06

Honorary Villager
Group:
Quote:

Kikbaq wrote:
Palin's comments about Africa were a hox, the anonymous McCain advisor is a hoax as well...hence perhaps why so anonymous and therefore a liar...well a fictitious liar.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/13/art ... 2&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

P.S. -- this is not another Rickroll

But I really like that song...

From the link...

"The pranksters behind Eisenstadt acknowledge that he was not, through them, the anonymous source of the Palin leak. He just claimed falsely that he was the leaker--and they say they have no reason to cast doubt on the original story. For its part, Fox News Channel continues to stand behind its story."

Bit hard to believe them, though, seeing as they got famous by not telling the truth...

WMShennen

Posted on: 2008/11/14 10:11

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 9 10 11 »

Topic is Locked

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor