Recent Topics

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Dojo websites
Active Kutakian
From South Carolina
Group:
村民 :: Villager
Two requests for those running a dojo website, plesae. First, if you transition out, can you let folks like WINJutsu know? Several of the Virginia URLs are dead, and it seems inefficient.

The other request, again for efficiency, is to put your City and state either on your front page, or in a "Contact Us" page. For those of us facing a potential move, it would make life so much more harmonious. :)

The flip side of this benefits you directly and us moreso. If Winjutsu has bad links I believe it hurts things like their google ratings. However, if your front page has body text that covers your location(s), art, instructor's names, Soke's information, you not only communicate in a clear fashion but up your search engine ratings.

For example, if we can Google "bujinkan" "new city" "new state" and find you, then we and others get connected faster and easier. Here's a good example--the page gives me a visual, loads quickly, and I have a location to find.

http://taijutsuselfdefense.com/

Leam

Posted on: 2009/1/9 21:03

Re: Dojo websites
Occasional Visitor
From Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Group:
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
onibujin.com also has a dojo directory like win. The guys who run it note who has proven to have a valid shidoshi-kai for the year.

I believe its backed by Nagato sensei.

Posted on: 2009/1/13 1:07
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Frequent Visitor
From UK
Group:
Quote:

bfine wrote:
onibujin.com also has a dojo directory like win. The guys who run it note who has proven to have a valid shidoshi-kai for the year.

The first thing you read when visiting that website is:

"Welcome to Onibujin the official network of Bujinkan dojos worldwide. "

Not wishing to ruffle too many feathers but this is simply not true is it?

Am I the only one who finds it misleading and (dare I say it) a little bit too self-important?

It reminds me of when BujinMag first started and described itself as 'the official publication of the Bujinkan'. Though those guys are doing a nice job with the magazine I think they graciously accepted that it was not the best choice of words and soon changed it...

Posted on: 2009/1/15 22:20

Frequent Visitor
From UK
Group:
Don't get me wrong - maybe it's a nice idea to make a list like this...

What I really meant to point out is that it suggests if a dojo hasn't signed up to being on the list then it's not valid.

This, or any reworded version that conveys similar, is incorrect and misleading.

Sincerely,

Posted on: 2009/1/15 23:07

Frequent Visitor
From Canada
Group:
What really helps websites is search engine optimization.

Basically creating the websites in a way that makes the website look good to search engines. Search engines are essentially computers that crawl the web indexing the pages for searches. If your content is formatted in a way that makes sense (using headers, paragraphs, etc) the search engines can find your page and index it easily and in turn people can find your page easily.

You then make it look nice for humans using CSS (cascading stylesheets).

Here's an example: http://www.bujinkanbc.com/

Posted on: 2009/2/24 14:38

Kutaki Postmaster
From New York, NY
Group:
I agree with Warren. With all due respect to Phil and whoever else is behind Onibujin, calling the site "the official network" is crap.

Posted on: 2009/2/25 12:08

Village Old Timer
Group:
議長 :: Mod

Posted on: 2009/2/25 14:10

Village Old Timer
From Istanbul Turkiye
Group:
Quote:

If the web master of that web site reading this, please note ; I wanted to add our Dojo but could not find ''Turkey'' in country names available so I could not add it. Maybe you should add it in your list.

Posted on: 2009/2/25 20:11
-----------------------------------------

Frequent Visitor
From UK
Group:
Quote:

bfine wrote:

It seems to me that we also have to be very careful in using the names of senior people to add weight to things.

What form does this backing take?

By taking the words on the website that it's the 'official' list of legit dojo, and then using Nagato sensei's name to add weight the suggestion is obvious.

The conclusion one would easily reach is that "this is the official list of legit dojo and the list and people on it are endorsed by Nagato sensei".

Is that correct?

Does Nagato sensei know this is how it's being presented?

There's a big responsibility on people to accurately pass on not only the words, but also the sentiment and context of these things.

As a side note - Hatsumi sensei could have easily had a list like this created and maintained at anytime in the Bujinkan's 30 or so year existance. Is it possible he has his own reasons for not doing so? Or maybe we just think he never thought of it...

Sincerely,

Posted on: 2009/2/25 21:39

Active Kutakian
From SLC,Ut
Group:
i wanna add this, it says its a non-profit site but they are selling tshirts for 35 bucks.... does the Honbu get that money? or the guys selling the shirts?

Posted on: 2009/2/27 5:31

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor