Socialize

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Importance of Dojo members
Village Old Timer
Group:
村民 :: Villager
議長 :: Mod
http://www.livescience.com/culture/090303-sports-support.html

The above article suggests that having supporters leads to a better performance in the long run.

In the Dojo, I think having support will also add to ones performance, however the performance is based on the members and the type of training associated with that dojo. So if one is in a certain type of dojo that is supportive of their members, one ought to perform better within the groups performance norms (a relative norm).

I am not stating that the group will perform optimally, or objectively better, rather performance norms will remain group based and judged.

This might explain certain psychological factors when one trains in a dojo causally removed from peer dojos, and why they believe their dojo is performing well. The dojo is subjectively justified in believing they are performing well, but it remains unclear that they are objectively justified.

In other words it might explain why at the hombu their sometimes is friction among the different groups. Because, everyone believes they are performing well without being objectively justified.

Just a thought.

Posted on: 2009/3/5 9:38
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Importance of Dojo members
Village Old Timer
Group:
Sorry about the typo (their / there's I ran out of time between class.

Posted on: 2009/3/5 11:43

Cant Stay Offline
From Hamina, Finland
Group:
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
Quote:

侶武 wrote:
In other words it might explain why at the hombu there sometimes is friction among the different groups. Because, everyone believes they are performing well without being objectively justified.

Hmm... rather interesting view, about this friction...

Posted on: 2009/3/5 15:04
(Bujinkan Budōka since 1985)

Occasional Visitor
Group:
I like this post Rob, but more from the perspective of the importance of getting your shiRt together before you get to the dojo. The article summed up in this line:
"Our study reveals the ongoing support of friends and family to be one of the most important factors influencing sports performance”.

In other words, if your life sucks, your skill probably sucks, too.

I come from a dojo where those who are self-reliant tend to receive the most support. Those who accept the loneliness of diligence tend to have the most friends. I’ve seen others come and go who seem to have an entitlement sense that increases with their arrival at the dojo. As if appearing in the room were enough dues to pay or to grant some-dan ranking. These types usually feel the most left out and then quit or chase some other ego-boosting pursuit.

I’d personally like to see more personal responsibility taken for poor skill, more acceptance of good criticism, and more openness to sharing with those who are willing to take pains to improve. But the latter is already here for the most part and is one of my favourite reasons for training with Bujinkan people.

Rambly yours,

Jim

Posted on: 2009/3/7 1:23

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor