Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 7 8 9 (10) 11 »

Re: Carrying Knives
Active Kutakian
From Boynton Beach, Florida
Group:
村民 :: Villager
Good points Darren...

More than once have I trained with someone using knife techniques and they had no idea where they were cutting. Most importantly they had no clue to what damage that might cause.

Slashing and thrashing is easy...but knowing what the result is isn't. I believe as an instructor we should have knowledge of what cuts cause what damage.

Posted on: 2006/1/11 2:21

"Good, now this time do it with taijutsu"
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Deleted_
A lot of good information jumping around on this thread again. I'd like to add one thing:

If you pull a knife, your intent is assumed to be to kill. Which is why if you brandish a knife, any police precinct in the US will very likely shoot you if you don't drop it PRONTO! Because stupid accidents with the knife even though you "Only meant to wound him" are waaay to easy. It's the same with a gun. If you are using a knife or a gun, it had better be because you believe (reasonably, not being nutty)your life (or anothers)is on the line!

Going back to what Darren said, we shouldn't be training to casually slide the tanto across necks, arms, or any other appendages if the context of the technique isn't lethal combat.

Posted on: 2006/1/11 10:22

Just Passing Through
Group:
I think it is important to remember that we are learning a battlefield based art. Now, I know that certain areas of the civilised planet are not too far removed from battlefields, but at the end of the day we shouldn't all be walking around with the tools of the battlefield tucked into our pants.

One of the first things I picked up when I started training was the favourable technique 'Run'. Second thing I picked up was 'stall the enemy/attacker, then RUN'.

As mentioned by another post, if you carry a knife you are more than likely going to use it. However, if you aren't trained in it's proper and appropriate use, then that weapon could just as easily be used on you.

Bearing all this in mind, I think it's best to leave the knifes (rubber) for the dojo, for learning how to deal with an attack. If an attack does happen then there are plenty of other options available, and many techniques that may be used to give you the time to disappear. In a surprise attack drawing a knife quickly is more likely to turn into a fumble and then you really are in trouble.
Use of weaponless methods in the civilised world means you are less likely to get hurt or spend anytime in a courtroom. Especially true in the UK where we can run into trouble with law enforcers just for carrying a knife.

Posted on: 2006/1/12 0:35

Frequent Visitor
From Maryland
Group:
Wow! I can't believe how many people assume that because you carry a knife, you will automatically use it. The knife is a back-up for a worse situation.

If I'm punched at, I'm not going to automatically draw my knife. Dale hit it on the head. He is the one that taught me to move. If I waste time worrying about my weapon, I'm toast. If I move and still need it, I can then safely draw it as the opportunity presents itself.

As far as carrying weapons, it's a personal choice. Like I've said before, I always have 2 knives on me. One is seen, one isn't. It's a choice I make. Knives are great tools to have handy for everday tasks. I use them throughout the day for different jobs.

In the 10 years I have carried knives, I have only drawn them in defense 2 times. I didn't need to use them either time, thankfully. But the targets never saw me draw it or knew that it was in my hand. Using weapons needs to be a conscious decision, not an automatic response. You need to train with them and use the decision process in the training.

If you carry a folder for defense, you had better be training how to draw it also. Train how to draw it under stress, from your back, with the off-side hand, etc.

Lastly, for those of us in LE or the military, knives are a necessary back-up to firearms. You may not be able to access your firearm, or it may malfunction. Knives can also be used to assist in weapons retention. One of the scenarios I had my students train with was as follows. Full body armour with your weapon up(body sling being used), as you come into a room the weapon is knocked down across your body. The closeness of the situation prohibits bringing the firearm back up to use. You have to start moving to negate your opponent. Once you have the space and the time, you draw your pistol or a knife, whichever comes to you hand easiest. After the opponent is finished, you scan the room and bring your rifle back up if it is clear.

The scenario made them not rely on their primary weapon, made them keep moving not only to avoid attacks but to scan their surroundings, and got them used to distances and timing with close-range and long-range weapons.

The point in all of this is, you have to train with weapons you intend to carry. You can't stick a knife in you pants and expect to be Billy-bad-a$$.

I don't understand some peoples reluctance or fear of blades.

Posted on: 2006/2/15 0:03

Occasional Visitor
From Mexico City, Mexico
Group:
Here go my two pesos:
I do carry a knife. I intend to never use it unless there is no other viable choice. By "using" a knife i don't mean only slashing and poking holes into somebody. I think that any tool can be used for many purposes, the most important ones (for me) being the capability of making your opponent keep his distance and another one being the chance of making him desist of the idea of making ANY attack at all. These could be mayor advantages in any fight.
I remember one Shihan saying something like "If you want a fair fight, go and ask the UN for one, but don't ask me for one"

Carrying a knife helped me once. Drawing the knife meant the end of the fight even before it started. Worked out well THIS ONE time in THIS situation. "Luck", some people call it? I think that if you are going to draw a weapon, you have to accept your opponent migh as well be armed... and quite possibly better armed. If you are drawing a tool that is used for killing (and spreading butter), you have to face the fact you might just as well get killed. So at least try to make it worth it...

Here in Mexico being kidnapped is a possibility (just like in many other places, sadly). If you are carrying a concealed knife, it could be useful for a desperate situation. If i remember correctly, here, 50% of people who are kidnapped survive. You might or might not get a chance to use your knife in such a situation, but if it can give you any possibility of doing something else than just dying, i think it's worth taken into account.

Safe ukemi ;)
Gabriel Mercader

Posted on: 2006/2/17 18:02

Active Kutakian
From Rome, GA
Group:
this has probably been posted before but...
"a ninja was someone whose very exexpressed the spirit of budo. he would protect himself with techniques not of assassination but rather of sensation and awareness. he would avoid unnecessary conflict, and even if armed with a blade, would find a way to win without staining it. these are the true techniques of ninjutsu."- soke

i also carry a knife, who dosen't? mine is engraved and very sharp and i don't want to mess it up. it is nice as a last resort, but i would rather not have to worry about it at all.

Posted on: 2006/2/17 18:29

Just Passing Through
From United States
Group:
I carry my knife for almost 5 years, i have different kind of knives, because i have a collections of it. I am very proud of my switchblade knife.

Posted on: 2010/1/8 13:35

Frequent Visitor
From Loveland, CO
Group:
LOL, it actually says "cheap switchblades" at the top. BTW, impressive thread necromancy.

Adam, I know that this is an old thread, but thank you for posting that quote. I hadn't seen it before and it applies perfectly to the topic. Fitting that it WAS the final post.

Posted on: 2010/1/10 1:07

Just Passing Through
From United States
Group:
What knife do you carry guys? Me, I carry different kinds of knives, combat knife, throwing knives.. I like it because it can really helps as my fighting weapon.

Posted on: 2010/1/16 0:49

Just Passing Through
From United States
Group:
Carrying knife is very useful to us, you can it in many ways, but for me I like that as a weapon and brass knuckles too.

Posted on: 2010/4/1 10:52

« 1 ... 7 8 9 (10) 11 »

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor