« 1 2 3 4 (5)

Re: Self Defence
Cant Stay Offline
From Pennsylvania, USA
Group:
村民 :: Villager
議長 :: Mod
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
Learning how to manipulate what people see,(and what the camera sees), is an important skill. Also how to hide what you've done while in "plain" sight. To do this it does take a good understanding of how people actually see.

Posted on: 2010/8/1 21:16

Cant Stay Offline
From Sacramento, CA (USA)
Group:
村長 :: Admin
Quote:

TheTengu wrote:
I've been suspended over videos of me taking a burglar into custody after he already punched out another officer. THAT part was never videotaped...

Oh man, that sucks! Your department must have gotten sued terribly in the past by the actions of a few overzealous officers, or your boss (chief or sheriff) must be in fear for his job against a city counsel or voter base that is bias against police - or even all the above!

Yup, I'm glad I left law enforcement before things got this bad. The stress of the job is bad enough without feeling like your own department isn't backing you up. For me, it's just not worth it.

I'm sorry this is happening to you...

Posted on: 2010/8/2 5:35

I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, or in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. ~ Thomas Jefferson
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Cant Stay Offline
From Sacramento, CA (USA)
Group:
村長 :: Admin
Quote:

Papa-san wrote:
Learning how to manipulate what people see,(and what the camera sees), is an important skill. Also how to hide what you've done while in "plain" sight. To do this it does take a good understanding of how people actually see.

This is very true. Perception or interpretation is something that is most likely just an illusion - a reality warped by bias, misunderstanding and ignorance. You can paint a perfect picture, but the observer can perceive something entirely different and, to them, that's "reality".

People who are into psy-ops or brain washing control what information a person receives so that the perceptions and interpretations follow a desired path. Regardless, you have to overcome their preprogrammed bias and understanding first.

People already are becoming more and more bias against law enforcement and even the military due to the constant bombardment of bias media, YouTube videos and so on.

The same can be said for how people view the Bujinkan, too.

Perceptions and reality are not always in sync. But, it's the perception that creates a person's "reality". Facts don't always matter.

Posted on: 2010/8/2 5:44

I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, or in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. ~ Thomas Jefferson

Permanent Village Fixture
From Toronto/Waterloo, Canada Eh!
Group:
Quote:

Zenigata wrote:
That being said how do people rate the Bujinkan system as a from of self defence? Is the ability to defend yourself and / or win a fight even important or is it about something else (eg an art of living, a cultural practice, a form of art for arts sake etc)?

On the philosophical side:
I would have to agree with Shawn here... be a gentleman! Thats one way to avoid confrontation. Cause and effect.

Another would be awareness training. Awareness of your surroundings, the people you associate with, the situations, the environment, etc. Just avoid going to that particular bar... you know there will be trouble there... avoid it! Be aware of when you may 'appear' to be an easy target... don't be a victim!

On the Physical side:
A fight is a combination of many factors. Physical ability, technical ability, spirit, and luck. Increasing any of these is to your advantage. Obviously physical strength can be an advantage.

Bujinkan Taijutsu is based upon natural movement. It teaches the use of the whole body [if you put in time & train under a qualified instructor]. As such, practitioners should be capable of striking from a larger range of distances & strike with the body behind a strike not just the muscle of the arm. If you utilize the skeletal alignment taught in taijutsu you will deliver a greater percentage of the force you are able to generate (absorbing less impact into your shoulder in the example of a punch).

The next advantage is that attacks are to weak areas. Whether a strike to a kusho, a joint, or the eyes the force is directed against a weak point in the attackers anatomy.

Taijutsu is considered an unarmed fighting system, though I would argue that it is not applied in such a manor. Whether I pick something up (anything for that matter) or whether my body 'becomes' a weapon (ie 16 striking treasures) I am NEVER unarmed!

There are many forms of self defense & many more arguments to be made. But the woman in your example can use her whole body against the larger attacker, which would be more than enough if applied to the right vulnerable area. And she will be able to utilize taijutsu when she's older and cannot rely on the muscular strength and rigidity of many systems.

My 2 cents

Posted on: 2010/8/3 19:11

Active Kutakian
From SLC,Ut
Group:
elf tengu did you attemp to get all ninja on his ass... instead of, oh say, just MACING him... can you say metsubishi... every tool has a purpose perhaps you just chose the wrong one. again legality being an issue for civil servants, but ive been attacked twice since joining the bujinkan, with one situation i found simple thumb drives to the eyes( while nails cut the whole length up) stopped that situation, the other was a ambush from behind turned knife attack. i escaped from that without being cut, stabbed, hit or anything else save for being out of breath cuz my legs carried me like the wind... just saying...

Posted on: 2010/8/4 4:42

Village Old Timer
From San Francisco, California, USA
Group:
Hey Matt, elftengu and TheTengu are crows of different feathers.

Posted on: 2010/8/5 3:32

Active Kutakian
From SLC,Ut
Group:
d'oh. and i in no way meant any disrespect... yeqah i suppose i chimed in waaay late in this thread

Posted on: 2010/8/6 5:04

« 1 2 3 4 (5)

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor