Socialize

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

Re: Earthquake!
Village Old Timer
Group:
村民 :: Villager
議長 :: Mod
I'm out as well. I'll be driving into Tokyo today and then heading off to live with the in-laws who live 1000km away. Is that far enough?

Might lose my job, but that's the least of my worries right now.

Posted on: 2011/3/16 10:04
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Active Kutakian
From Savannah, GA
Group:
Ok this may sound lame but I want to help in some way so my place is open free of charge to any members of the Bujinkan who are departing Japan and have nowhere convenient/affordable to go. Not exactly convenient that I live in Nashville, TN but its the least I can do.

Best regards and safe wishes to all.

Posted on: 2011/3/16 11:55

Village Old Timer
From Dayton, Ohio
Group:
I too would like to lend a hand to all our friends and teachers in Japan but come on now! Calling for an evacuation of Japan is more than a little premature. Certainly they have a lot of work to do and are in for a long time of dealing with loss of such a large portion of their energy source. The nuclear problem gives us all pause, but Northwest United States is at a greater risk of contamination than most of Japan. I am not a nuclear engineer, but I do understand risk and treatment of nuclear contamination.

It is clear that Local News is more concerned with preventing panic than telling the real story, but News sources in the US are much more concered with creating panic and increasing ratings and controversy.

I feel you work with your comfort level and be smart about who you listen to. The folks I know over there are not dummies and will make good decisions. You may question the decision some of us have made to continue going over there, but my guess there is some good training going on now!

Good luck to all involved, we hope to see you all soon!

Marty

Posted on: 2011/3/16 15:00

Just Passing Through
From Victoria , Australia
Group:
"All but 50 nuclear workers, dubbed the "Fukushima 50", had been evacuated from the quake-hit facility amid fears of a meltdown. But these workers, regarded as heroes for their tireless efforts to douse three stricken reactors with sea water, were pulled out after today's fire."

Get out & good luck ,

Greg

Posted on: 2011/3/16 15:44

Frequent Visitor
Group:
Hi everyone,

Thanks for your contributions to this thread, I appreciate all the information that has been made available and its good to hear that buyu are generally safe and sound. I currently reside in Japan, but I live farther west than the area that is adversely affected, and I am safe where I am. That said, I won't be here for long, so I came here for advice from anyone closer to the Kanto/Tohoku areas.

Before any of this went down I crafted an awesome plan to fly out to India on the 2nd of April, stay there and travel for two and a half months, and fly back into Tokyo. I wound up booking a flight back on the 10th of June. My plan at that point was to stick around in Tokyo for a few weeks, and train frequently in Noda.

All that said I am in a position now where I feel I need to reassess my plan. Today at 3pm the U.S. embassies announced that they will book flights for U.S. citizens from Japan to safehaven cities in neighboring Asian countries. Several of my friends in the Tokyo area have left, and the rest are contemplating it. I am not in a position to stuff some clothes in a duffle bag and leave right now, also given that I am safe in the area in which I live I am not compelled to do that. I have a few loose ends to tie up, I have plenty of preparations to finish before starting to travel, and I intend to follow through with at least the India leg of my journey.

As such, I have been trying to contact the travel agency I used in Yokohama to find out more reliable information, and perhaps change my flights. However no one has been answering their phones the past couple days. If people are consistently not going to work as far away from Fukushima as Yokohama, then maybe the whole situation is a lot more dicey than I had realized. I tried calling the only buyu up there whose phone number I have, and I couldn't get ahold of him. Then I checked on facebook, and realized he bailed to a nearby island nation, and pretty much everyone else has bailed in one direction or another.

So my questions is, is it really that dicey around the Tokyo bay right now? If there is no training going down and everyone is simply fleeing the region, I will take that as an indication that I need to rework my plans. Even if there is training going on, 3 months is a long time and much could happen between now and then, so I will fully consider changing these plans either way.

If you are in Japan I'm sure you will agree that it is tough to find a foreign source and a Japanese source giving you the same information right now.

My best wishes to everyone, and thanks for any insight you may be able to share with me about the state of affairs.

Matt

Posted on: 2011/3/17 20:19

Honorary Villager
Group:
This is a facebook post from Adam Mitchell, an excellent Jinenkan budoka from NY,USA. He is setting up a workshop in New York and is looking to build some camaraderie and exercise some humanity for charity. If you are in the area...
Adam Mitchell
NYC-Mar 26. I'll be teaching a full day workshop for disaster relief in Japan. All proceeds will go to helping relief efforts....My request: I'm asking one of my Bujinkan colleagues to join me in camaraderie and teach along with me, the most kick ass training the Apple has seen for our family in Japan. We'll be in Central Park unless someone wants to donate their studio for the weekend. Solidarity now folks.

Posted on: 2011/3/18 20:19

村長 :: Sonchou
From Chiba, Japan
Group:
村長 :: Admin
If solidarity was Mr. Manaka's primary concern, then he probably would not have separated from his teacher.

Jinenkan have their events, Bujinkan have their events. It doesn't have to be a negative thing for each organization to have their own separate events. In fact, a little healthy competition in fund-raising between the organizations might actually be a good thing. :)

Bujinkan Tsunami Fund:
http://www.justgiving.com/bujinkan-tsunami-fund

S Gray

Posted on: 2011/3/19 5:36

Village Old Timer
From Matsudo City, Chiba, Japan
Group:
I've left Kashiwa and am now in Vancouver, Canada. My family paid the airfare. I am one less foreigner to feed, one less person drawing on the scarce power resources, and I'm with my family.

Please give whatever you can give, through whatever channel you can. No matter that we are in different camps, we're all united in helping collect funds for disaster relief.

I will be at my university, (UBC, Vancouver campus) volunteering at the Japan Earthquake Relief desk for the duration of my stay, until April 2nd.

武風一貫 Bufu ikkan for the sake of Japan

Posted on: 2011/3/19 6:10

Frequent Visitor
From Loveland, CO
Group:
I've got some floor space in Colorado.

Japan, you're in our prayers...

Bufu Ikkan

Posted on: 2011/3/21 0:42

Cant Stay Offline
From Pennsylvania, USA
Group:
議長 :: Mod
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
I've just returned from Japan, I had arrived there the morning of the 15th. There was no train service from the airport but buses were running. That has all now been restored. We had some aftershocks but nothing critical, not more than 6.0. The area where the tsunami hit was horrible and my heart goes out to those who lived there. Tokyo on the other hand was way south of that and while there was some damage like cracked roof tiles, no buildings came down. There were only the reduced train service and scheduled power outages. On the flip side of this the training with Soke was fantastic, I haven't seen such small classes in over 20 years. (less then 20 total in the room) That was a real gift for those who did come. A lot of the "nuclear" danger was hyped way out of proportion and reality. The media did pander the fear irresponsibly.

Posted on: 2011/3/26 23:36

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor