« 1 ... 7 8 9 (10) 11 12 »

Re: Short image film about our dojo and our art
Village Old Timer
Group:
村民 :: Villager
議長 :: Mod
Quote:

Zenigata wrote:
I see the budo Hatsumi-sensei demonstrates from the late 1950’s till today as one. There is no dumbed down version for the masses or some secret version for the select few. The Hatsumi-sensei I know takes in all students and teaches them equally. The budo you see Hatsumi-sensei demonstrate today is the same as he is transmitting from Takamatsu-sensei.

I would agree with all of this except for one point. While Hatsumi is equally generous to everyone, he doesn't pass on information to everyone equally. Clearly there are those out there who have received instruction from Soke which others have not, which may be one of the reasons why people argue online about things like Gikan Ryu.

Quote:

Zenigata wrote:
One teacher said to me Hatsumi-sensei thinks about Takamatsu-sensei every day so it is as if his teaching was just yesterday. The experience is as fresh in his mind.

Of course the training of years gone by was different, but the progression from then till now is organic. As on teacher told me, when he saw Takamatsu-sensei’s training he thought it was very different – but when he looks at Hatsumi-sensei now they are frightenly similar.

As another teacher told me at the end of last year when enquiring about the “old days”. Those days are unimportant because Hatsumi-sensei was still learning himself. It is the training we do now which is real.

I happen to be of the same opinion (as worthless as that opinion may be).

Quote:

Zenigata wrote:
Yes I know Ishizuka-sensei but I am not really interested in his training. What would be nice is to hear his students say “I train with Ishizuka-sensei and get a lot out of his classes” rather than having to talk others down, post lots of one liner passive aggressive shit or do a bit of historical revisionism.

This is just speaking in generalizations, I think. Those who you are referring to as 'students of Ishizuka-sensei' who 'talk other down, etc' are some people who have found Ishizuka-sensei's type of training ring true for them, whether it be Ishizuka-sensei's taijutsu or approach appealing to them. This does not make them students and as such shouldn't be linked at all to Ishizuka-sensei.

For what it's worth, as a young pup in the Bujinkan I used to think the same about 'students of Nagato-sensei'.

Quote:

Zenigata wrote:
To acknowledge the time he gives to everyone as just some dumbed down budo for the gaijin masses – to spin a few bucks is far more insulting than poking a bit of fun at someones dorky hobbies. Maybe only I see it?

So what you wrote before was just you 'poking fun at someone's hobbies'?

Quote:

Zenigata wrote:
So, the opinion of those involving themselves in shihan-politics are of little interest to me. The opinion is to clouded with the fanboy effect clouding their judgement by rationalising their decisions to protect their own sense of self. I think if those wrote about what is good about or what they get out of training with Ishizuka-sensei then they would further their own cause more than the casual snipping at everyone else for being shit.

With this statement don't you yourself partake in a little of the 'shihan politics' you speak of?

Posted on: 2011/9/30 9:07
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Active Kutakian
From Australia
Group:
Mark: What's a nut-hugger?

Sky: Why do you confer the honorific 'sensei' to Ishizuka (sensei) and not Hatsumi (sensei)?

Posted on: 2011/9/30 12:17

Village Old Timer
Group:
Quote:

mcronin wrote:

Sky: Why do you confer the honorific 'sensei' to Ishizuka (sensei) and not Hatsumi (sensei)?

Force of habit, I suppose.

Posted on: 2011/9/30 12:29

Permanent Village Fixture
From Centerville, Ohio
Group:
Mr. Spada,

I should start by saying that I don't know you personally and cannot therefore judge your character accurately. I can say that your content in this thread has been foolish.

1-You do not make yourself seem any smarter by knowing the word "semiotics." The fact that you think that knowing a rare word entitles you to lob invective at others with any sense of superiority shows just how little contact you have with intelligent people (if they're around, you don't listen to them). Most educated people come into contact with things they don't know all the time and are accustomed to the fact that the knowledge THEY value is not necessarily the knowledge everyone values. You've called a medical doctor uneducated in this thread by saying "you really had to look that up?." Let me know where I can send your trophy.

2-Perhaps you think it wise to discourage women from learning? There are too many problems in your logic to address them here. First, the video showed that her attitude is what prevented the aggressive behavior. Note that it is simply aggressive behavior, NOT a brutal beating and rape in progress prevented with green belt Bujinkan technical prowess. Are you saying that without training the hypothetical woman would have been better off? You appear to imply that she's doomed no matter what, and how dare anyone say otherwise. Everyone knows that a smaller person, woman or not, will have a more difficult time against a larger person. I'll find it necessary to point out here that in a world of conceal-carry licenses, you're barely better off than the woman in the video is. Maybe her training enabled her to feel confident enough and have just enough skill to make time to reach for her Keltech PF9? Perhaps your attitude would have gotten you into trouble where hers did not?

3-If you don't like the video, make a superior video of your own that addresses the scenario that you've just seen. Not all of us walk around with an entourage like we're in West Side Story, and as a consequence most of us walk alone somewhere at some time. You can't possibly know how silly you sound when you ask why she was walking alone in broad daylight.

I'll end by saying that the video was great, and showed a potential success in a sketchy situation where there may not have been any without the training being in her life. As a non-novice member of the community, it should be your first instinct to help others improve and to give helpful advice. Just know precisely what your impact has been: No one is better off for your criticisms here. And if your aim wasn't to improve others through your criticism then you've committed a sin far worse; you've insulted the efforts of others to make yourself feel or look good. Perhaps you can tell me the meaning of 'hubris?'

Posted on: 2011/9/30 13:13

Unsubscribed
Deleted_Unsubscribed
Quote:

Shinoobie wrote:

As a non-novice member of the community, it should be your first instinct to help others improve and to give helpful advice. Just know precisely what your impact has been: No one is better off for your criticisms here. And if your aim wasn't to improve others through your criticism then you've committed a sin far worse; you've insulted the efforts of others to make yourself feel or look good. Perhaps you can tell me the meaning of 'hubris?'

Dear Kutaki drama queen,

Forgive me drama queen, for I have sinned.

It has been approximately twenty-seven years since my last confession.

From your overwrought essay I can only surmise that you love the theater, particularly Shakespeare. Either that or you must live in the same world as Mr. Dunsky, where human beings are not permitted to express dissenting viewpoints or disagree in any way. My perspectives on the video are perfectly legitimate and sound.

This is a forum for discussion, not group therapy. No one here is obligated to dole out “helpful advice” for the sake of “improving others”, as noble as that may be. And I certainly don’t need to insult the efforts of others to make myself feel or look good; my self-esteem is laced with pure adamantium and I’m already phenomenally good looking.

You need me to tell you the meaning of the word ‘hubris’? Really?

Okay, then: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hubris

I commend you for making public your desire to improve by admitting your own arrogance and less-than lucid grasp on reality. The journey of a thousand miles begins with extracting your head from your ass, you know.

Bravo, my son.

And by the way....we're all novices here. Unless you're Hatsumi sensei or one of the Japanese shihan, of course.

- Mark Spada

Posted on: 2011/9/30 19:39

Cant Stay Offline
From Pennsylvania, USA
Group:
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
No Mark, we are NOT all novices here, we are all STUDENTS. There is a major difference between these two terms which, with your 'superior' intelligence, IQ, education, etc', you should most certainly know. Knowledge in one specific area does not automatically give you knowledge in another area which is another thing you should already know. Your desire to obviously offend any one who disagrees with you does show your need to learn a whole lot more. You claim to have knowledge in this art but really what is that claim based on? A crappy attitude is certainly not an indication of skill, only of a crappy attitude. Oh and I already know your sarcastic response to this, I've been training in this art for ALMOST as long as you have been alive so I as well as others here, are not novices. What we are and will continue to be is students learning from the source Dr Hatsumi. Oh what was that again how much training HAVE you had with Dr Hatsumi???? Does he know your name? Have you ever talked with him?? Has he in any way recognized you??? Come on Mark back your "expertise" up with something other then a bad attitude.

Posted on: 2011/9/30 23:17

Active Kutakian
From Redmond, Washington
Group:
Can we finish off this thread? The nutritional value is about spent.

Posted on: 2011/9/30 23:20

Unsubscribed
Deleted_Unsubscribed
Quote:

Papa-san wrote:

Come on Mark back your "expertise" up with something other then a bad attitude.

Okay, Ed. You win.

I’ll back up my expertise with something else:

If you can manage it, show up to one of the Buyu camps next year. Depending on when they are held, I might have relocated to the west coast by then. Or if you happen to find yourself in Florida before then, let me know. Feel free to contact me through facebook. Whatever you do, just make sure that it’s as large a public venue as you can find.

I’ll be bringing nearly twenty years of hardcore, blood, sweat and tears mat time with me.

I suggest that you bring something altogether more substantial than Hatsumi sensei’s acknowledgement of your name.

Be careful what you ask for, old man.

- Mark Spada

Posted on: 2011/9/30 23:41

Unsubscribed
Deleted_Unsubscribed
Quote:

jgaunttWA wrote:
Can we finish off this thread? The nutritional value is about spent.

I agree wholeheartedly.

- Mark Spada

Posted on: 2011/9/30 23:42

Cant Stay Offline
From Pennsylvania, USA
Group:
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
Super Mark, I will be in Palm Beach on 11 and 12 February hosted by Paul Fisher. I'll look forward to seeing you there. If not then I have been at Jack Hoban's Buyu Camp East each year he's held it and plan to be back again in 2012. Haven't been to the West Coast one since the East coast one began, just a bit far to travel. If you prefer something sooner I will also be in Stone Mt, GA on November 19-20 this year. Take your pick.

Posted on: 2011/10/1 12:14

« 1 ... 7 8 9 (10) 11 12 »

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor