Cant Stay Offline
From Sacramento, CA (USA)
Group:
村民 :: Villager
村長 :: Admin
議長 :: Mod
Quote:

Gorang wrote:
..a festivus for the rest of us... Happy Festivus!!

Festivus even made it into Wikipedia!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Festivus

Posted on: 2011/12/20 4:37

I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, or in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. ~ Thomas Jefferson
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Christmas greetings
Kutaki Postmaster
From South East UK
Group:
Surely 'Happy' is too traditional, we should say "Bon Festivus" or Bene/Bueno Festivus or suchlike!

And surely it is best strike a balance between tolerance and having one's national traditions trampled on and assimilated into some culture-less mess. I am apparently British but I no longer know what that means culturally, and I'm not racist or xenophobic (or I wouldn't be studying oriental arts).

We are only being oppressed when we are told what to do or not what to do. Let people do what they like as long as it doesn't actually harm anyone.

The Japanese are an excellent example of how to assimilate a tradition like Christmas without getting all sniffy about it offending their Shinto and Buddhist principles. How lucky we are in Budo to be influenced by such a people!

My kids brought home Diwali cards from their nursery, where there are only one or two Asian kids, who probably aren't from a Diwali-celebrating faith anyhow, and I thought it was wonderful. I'm sure those of you resident in Japan will return to your homelands with a whole new plethora of special dates in your calendar to add to those you grew up with.

In fact I am pushing for Public Holidays on the relevant days of all major faiths, and the whole of Ramadan, as well as Lent.

Posted on: 2011/12/20 7:21

Village Old Timer
From Dayton, Ohio
Group:
I found my favorite holiday card in Japan. It was a bunch of little Santa Claus's sweeping the snow off of the Kamakura Buddha.

Marty

Posted on: 2011/12/20 8:46

Kutaki Postmaster
From Norway
Group:
@ Darren. Thanks I did not know.
This always makes me laugh:
George Costanza (on a tape recorder): "I can't read it, I need my glasses." Frank Costanza (on a tape recorder): "You don't need glasses! You're just weak, weak!"

Posted on: 2011/12/20 16:28

Cant Stay Offline
From Sacramento, CA (USA)
Group:
村長 :: Admin
(Being circulated around Facebook)

I wanted to send some sort of holiday greeting to my friends and colleagues, but it is difficult in today's world to know exactly what to say without offending someone. So I met with my lawyer yesterday, and on advice I wish to say the following :

Please accept with no obligation, implied or implicit, my best wishes for an environmentally conscious, socially responsible, low stress, non addictive, gender neutral celebration of the summer solstice holiday practiced with the most enjoyable traditions of religious persuasion or secular practices of your choice with respect for the religious / secular persuasions and / or traditions of others, or their choice not to practice religious or secular traditions at all .

I also wish you a fiscally successful, personally fulfilling and medically uncomplicated recognition of the onset of the generally accepted calendar year 2012, but not without due respect for the calendar of choice of other cultures whose contributions to society have helped make our country great (not to imply that Canada is necessarily greater than any other country) and without regard to the race, creed, colour, age, physical ability, religious faith or sexual preference of the wishee .

By accepting this greeting, you are accepting these terms :

This greeting is subject to clarification or withdrawal. It is freely transferable with no alteration to the original greeting. It implies no promise by the wisher to actually implement any of the wishes for her / him or others and is void where prohibited by law, and is revocable at the sole discretion of the wisher. The wish is warranted to perform as expected within the usual application of good tidings for a period of one year or until the issuance of a new wish at the sole discretion of the wisher .

Best Regards (without prejudice),

Name withheld (Privacy Act).

*** HAVE A VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYBODY! *** (yup, I said it. So sue me...)

Posted on: 2011/12/24 1:21

I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, or in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. ~ Thomas Jefferson

Cant Stay Offline
From Pennsylvania, USA
Group:
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
LMAO, thank you Darren!!!

Posted on: 2011/12/24 10:20

Kutaki Postmaster
From South East UK
Group:
Yes, thanks Darren, I'm pinching that, I will offer people a choice of either Merry Christmas or (copy + paste from above).

Posted on: 2011/12/24 22:18

Village Old Timer
From oz
Group:
Lol, very good!

Posted on: 2012/1/2 9:25

Oldschoolcarpentry.com.au

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]