Ichiba 0 2018/2/21 1:18
Dpinga

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Tanren Uchi
Kutaki Postmaster
From Wyoming
Group:
村民 :: Villager
I am just curious as to how many people practice tanren uchi either with empty handed striking or with weapons like the bo and bokken?

If so, what do you find to be the most useful about it in your training?

If not, why not? Is it something you don't do because of time and equipment or because you think it is an outmoded or ineffective method for training?

Hitting a bag and mits counts as tanren, as does hitting a makiwara of some kind.

Posted on: 2012/3/16 13:27

What? Yes...that's how I do that....why...why do you ask?
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Tanren Uchi
Active Kutakian
From Boise, ID
Group:
I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for in your response, but you mention empty handed stuff so I'm going to run with that. I don't know that it counts as truly Tenren Uchi... Anyway, I do things to strengthen the body where it is used often for striking (I know, the whole body can be used, but we do tend to use some more than others). I lead my training group in doing push ups on different fist weapons ie. on palms, on knuckles, on finger tips, on thumbs, on foreknuckles. Sometimes we do them normally and we do many reps, but if we do them plyometically, we do fewer reps. I also have a makiwara post with rope around the top. Then we also use a kicking shield and a free standing punching bag. Also, if you have every seen the STRIKE program developed by Robert Humphrey and (I think) Dave Furukawa, we do that as well.

I think this type of conditioning is good training, teaches very quickly how to correctly strike using the body. We don't go overboard, no intentional injuries from excessive use, just enough to learn and improve.

Posted on: 2012/3/21 12:09

Kutaki Postmaster
From Wyoming
Group:
Quote:

YoruKage wrote:
I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for in your response, but you mention empty handed stuff so I'm going to run with that. I don't know that it counts as truly Tenren Uchi... Anyway, I do things to strengthen the body where it is used often for striking (I know, the whole body can be used, but we do tend to use some more than others). I lead my training group in doing push ups on different fist weapons ie. on palms, on knuckles, on finger tips, on thumbs, on foreknuckles. Sometimes we do them normally and we do many reps, but if we do them plyometically, we do fewer reps. I also have a makiwara post with rope around the top. Then we also use a kicking shield and a free standing punching bag. Also, if you have every seen the STRIKE program developed by Robert Humphrey and (I think) Dave Furukawa, we do that as well.

I think this type of conditioning is good training, teaches very quickly how to correctly strike using the body. We don't go overboard, no intentional injuries from excessive use, just enough to learn and improve.

Yes, all of that is part of tanren.

I am familiar with the STRIKE program name, but not its contents. I know it is centered on boxing.

What type of makiwara post do you use, is it more like a karate makiwara or is it a more solid post?

I use a 6" green treated fence post that is 8' tall buried 2.5 ft. in the ground. I does give some, because it is not a good idea to hit something that is not padded or have some flex with most strikes. This is also what I use for my bokken and bojutsu tanren.

I also use a telephone pole at a park where we train during the Spring and Summer. I don't have others do empty handed tanren on that, just weapons. I work my empty handed tanren with a heavy emphasis on the legs through the spine on it, because it gives a lot of feedback. Mostly shuto on that, because hitting a telephone pole with knuckles isn't a good idea.

I use sand bags, bean bags, mitts and heavy bags for fudo ken and such.

Thanks for the reply, I am trying to see what others do and see if I can pick up new drills and ideas. It's not something that is discussed much, and I don't think many people really practice it beyond hitting a mitt every blue moon or so. I do know there are people who do, but I think they are in the minority.

There may be a good reason for that, and I would like to hear from peope who think tanren is not a good practice too. Not to argue, just to hear other viewpoints and perspectives on how we train.

Posted on: 2012/3/23 13:42

Active Kutakian
From Redmond, Washington
Group:
Don't forget that grip conditioning is important as well. For that, there's nothing better than climbers putty, which you can get at most outdoor shops. It cones at various hardness. Strong grips also make for better strikes.

Posted on: 2012/3/23 14:55

Kutaki Postmaster
From Wyoming
Group:
Quote:

jgaunttWA wrote:
Don't forget that grip conditioning is important as well. For that, there's nothing better than climbers putty, which you can get at most outdoor shops. It cones at various hardness. Strong grips also make for better strikes.

Tanren with a bokken is an excellent way to build the grip and integrate it into your kamae.

In the past I have used grip balls, catching large bricks with the finger tips, and a weighted grip roller.

Posted on: 2012/3/24 11:30

Active Kutakian
Group:
I used to do it each training session for some 8-10 minutes using a tatami standing against a wall.

For Kenjutsu we use trees, but here we do it really slow. Just slowly moving the bokken against the tree, trying to hold a correct angle. Once at the tree I focus on pushing out of the legs without simply leaning against the tree.

I consider this a very important part of training, several martial arts do not train this - in my surrounding especially Karate-groups - and you can literally see, that they never hit anything else than air.

I think a post with rope is not optimal, this leads easily to ripped skin. Also make sure to stress the importance of the right distance by immovable objects, else you'll put a lot of stress on the joints.

Posted on: 2012/3/25 21:32

"Thou art a child of nature.
Thou shalt know that it art a crime to murder thy mother.
Yet, I hear her skriek in horror ... "

Kutaki Postmaster
From Wyoming
Group:
Quote:

GreyArea wrote:
I used to do it each training session for some 8-10 minutes using a tatami standing against a wall.

For Kenjutsu we use trees, but here we do it really slow. Just slowly moving the bokken against the tree, trying to hold a correct angle. Once at the tree I focus on pushing out of the legs without simply leaning against the tree.

I consider this a very important part of training, several martial arts do not train this - in my surrounding especially Karate-groups - and you can literally see, that they never hit anything else than air.

I think a post with rope is not optimal, this leads easily to ripped skin. Also make sure to stress the importance of the right distance by immovable objects, else you'll put a lot of stress on the joints.

You list some very good points. I started tanren with a bokken because I realized that my suburi training had only developed my cutting so much. I come from an Iaido background with the sword. I noticed that when I hit the makiwara, my power did not follow the same vector as the cut I desired.

Your other points are important, let the kamae and its motion drive the cut or strike.

In terms of the distance this is very important. Power is not too important on heavy objects, but integration of power generation with the whole body is. The object provides feedback that lighter targets or air just can't provide.

In terms of bokken, with wood you have to be careful. I just obtained a Cold Steel polymer bokken, which allows me to use a bit more power without worrying about damaging the bokken. Still have to work up carefully to greater power so you don't lose the integration of your kamae. At under $30 US, these are a great deal and they perform well, but others may not agree.

This has helped me with my hip and leg power in my kamae quite a bit.

Thanks for your post.

Posted on: 2012/3/26 3:39

Village Old Timer
From Istanbul Turkiye
Group:
I agree that Cold steel's Bokken is nearly undestructable still I do not like it much as it shakes a lot to the sides. You mostly can not feel the straight angle of the cut because of that expansion.
For the Tanren Uchi, I do not follow a discipline...whenever I want I find sth. to hit..a wall, a tree..whatever works..try to punch, hit with fingers, grab etc. just to keep the hands strong enough.

Posted on: 2012/3/26 6:58
-----------------------------------------

Kutaki Postmaster
From Wyoming
Group:
Quote:

Toruko-jin wrote:
I agree that Cold steel's Bokken is nearly undestructable still I do not like it much as it shakes a lot to the sides. You mostly can not feel the straight angle of the cut because of that expansion.
For the Tanren Uchi, I do not follow a discipline...whenever I want I find sth. to hit..a wall, a tree..whatever works..try to punch, hit with fingers, grab etc. just to keep the hands strong enough.

I thought this too, at first. Then I realized that it flexes because I apply too much pressure through my right hand. So, I use its flexibility as a tool to assess how even my power application is through my hands.

If I keep it even and use my body and legs, then I get no flex. Also, I use the okatana rather than the regular katana, it is a bit more stout.

I appreciate the reply. Hopefully, this can continue, as I am being reminded of a lot of things.

Posted on: 2012/3/26 13:21

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor