Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Socialize

Recent Topics

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 9 10 11 (12) 13 14 15 »

Re: New student requesting some information.
Honorary Villager
From Koshigaya, Japan
Group:
村民 :: Villager
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
found this clip online showing the kick discussed a few pages earlier in relation to ku no kata

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ExPKO2w1RU#t=1238

Posted on: 2014/1/25 21:52
Of every one-hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are nothing but targets, nine are real fighters... We are lucky to have them, they make the battle... AH but ONE, one of them is a Warrior... he will bring the others back - Hericletus c. 5...
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Villager
From Fort Wayne Indiana
Group:
Thanks for the video regarding the kick. That's very close to how we do it. Earlier I mentioned a question regarding Nagase Shihan. Well according to my shihan, Nagase does things a little different and this is one of them. Apparently the only difference is don't start the chamber till a little bit later when the foot gets hip height.

Hey guys, I have a question regarding the Junan Taiso stretching. Is the stretching in this art, static or dynamic or some other type?

Posted on: 2014/1/26 9:21

New student at the Fort Wayne Zentai Bujjinkan Dojo

Villager
From Fort Wayne Indiana
Group:
On Martial talk it was said in the sparring thread that the methods taught in the ryu ha them selvs are not up to snuff for dealing with modern attacks. I was told that our art is alive and that we adapt our current methods to modern attacks. I was told that was garbage and a lie.

So guys what is the truth of our art? Just looking from the lens of my mma experience I see much that is good and useable. Though I do question our ability to handle someone who doesn't step with each strike, and can deliver them with rapidity. To illustrate his point he said to try using Ichimonji no Kata against a boxers attack from a boxing range.

I take my self defense seriously and I seriously enjoy what im doing. Its just, if what he says is true, I was lied to. So what is the truth?

Posted on: 2014/1/30 8:15

Cant Stay Offline
From Sacramento, CA (USA)
Group:
村長 :: Admin
議長 :: Mod
Quote:

Kframe wrote:
On Martial talk it was said in the sparring thread that the methods taught in the ryu ha them selvs are not up to snuff for dealing with modern attacks. I was told that our art is alive and that we adapt our current methods to modern attacks. I was told that was garbage and a lie.

So guys what is the truth of our art? Just looking from the lens of my mma experience I see much that is good and useable. Though I do question our ability to handle someone who doesn't step with each strike, and can deliver them with rapidity. To illustrate his point he said to try using Ichimonji no Kata against a boxers attack from a boxing range.

I take my self defense seriously and I seriously enjoy what im doing. Its just, if what he says is true, I was lied to. So what is the truth?

The truth is simply this (my opinion, of course!):

Many people in the forum-world try to pigeon-hole the Bujinkan into some kind of box, but if any of them would spend any actual time with Soke and/or the Japanese Shihan, they would actually understand that it can't. Comparing the techniques to those used in sports is like comparing pistol shooting events to military combat shooting. Similar? Maybe. Same? No. Is being good at one automatically make you good at the other? No. Yet, both can compliment each other if trained in the right context to each other.

Saying Ichimonji no Kata fails against a boxer's attack is foolishly misunderstanding both the scope and function of Ichimonji no Kata and how a boxer 'attacks'. Boxers operate in a confined area, in a set use of distance, angles and protections (i.e. no kicks, groin shots, etc). They are good at what they do, but even better when the conditions match their skill parameters. Ichimonji no Kata is just that - a kata. It's a set of skills designed to teach specific lessons, the application of which is not limited to the kata itself. For instance, the use of the angles and entry can be utilized in any kind of receive and counter technique. The jodan uke is something universally used, just in different ways. The omote shuto is also universally used and applied different ways. It's the use of the feet, hips and spine that hold the biggest lessons, but again it isn't limited to the kata. It exists in all our taijutsu. Even boxers use some form of it.

In my humble opinion, people make the mistake of taking a kata and thinking that is how everything is done against every kind of situation. That is like trying to fit a square block into every shape of hole. Yet, the lessons in that kata develop the body in certain ways that come out in situations as applicable to the 'need'. Make sense?

If I stood in Ichimonji no Kamae, loading up my back leg, and my opponent suddenly comes in low for a single or double leg takedown, do I just stand there and shift away? Maybe not. Maybe I might jump back into Hicho no Kamae and knee them in the face. Maybe I might do something that looks more like Hira no Kamae from Muto Dori Gata. Maybe I might just do a sprawl and rip his face off with Shitojutsu. Or, maybe I might have already saw this idiot wanted to fight and simply left before it happened.

Many people like to cite Takamatsu Soke as having fought many challenges, testing his skills against other martial artists. Hatsumi Soke writes about some of those challenges, most being very brutal. But, and I am only theorizing as I was not around to witness them, I am pretty certain how he fought those guys looked very different from how he taught in those grainy black and white videos you can find on YouTube. If you asked him what kata he used, he would probably laugh at you. Yet his skills were developed FROM the training in those kata - and he defeated quite a good number of highly skilled men.

If someone with all that fight skill didn't believe in the kata and training his teachers taught him, why on earth would he have taught them to his students, to teach the young Masaaki Hatsumi (who also already had a very strong sports martial arts background) the very same kata you are learning (maybe a bit differently, I don't know), and grant him Sokeship of all 9 of those ryuha?

He could have very easily just dropped all of it and taught something else more suited to competition, like the Gracie family did.

So, are all these naysayers implying that Takamatsu Soke and Hatsumi Soke are idiots and that they know better?

I can hardly contain my laughter...

Posted on: 2014/1/30 9:00

I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, or in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. ~ Thomas Jefferson

Villager
From Fort Wayne Indiana
Group:
Well just lately I have been playing with my autistic son. He likes to play rough with me and play boxing with me. Nothing serious just him throwing haymakers and me defending and tickling him for my counter attack. I decided to use that time to work in Jodan Uke. Oddly enough it worked well for his seriously haymakerish attack. Now I didn't go fast, and made sure not to hurt him but they worked. He thinks its fun when I block him..

I guess, being that I have confidence issues, I try to let other people decide my mind about issues like this.. I need to trust my self and make my own mind. I just fear making a mistake.

Off topic, im trying to practice Yoko Nagare on my laminate wood floor. Not going well. Not only does my shirt on my back slide, im not getting the angle right and the very top of my arm, were the shoulder muscle attaches to the arm hurts.

Posted on: 2014/1/30 9:47

Cant Stay Offline
Group:
Quote:

Kframe wrote:

I guess, being that I have confidence issues, I try to let other people decide my mind about issues like this.. I need to trust my self and make my own mind. I just fear making a mistake.

Nail that right to your forehead. Every time you start to let others screw with your mind, let that intense pain in your forehead remind you of what is nailed there.

Seriously, you are going to spend your entire training life struggling with what is in your head and what comes out of others' mouths.

That's why Soke keeps saying "Shut Up & Train".

Attach file:

jpg  Shutup&Train.jpg (28.43 KB)
100_52e9a30f64fe1.jpg 367X270 px

Posted on: 2014/1/30 9:55

I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, or in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. ~ Thomas Jefferson

Cant Stay Offline
Group:
On a related note, you might find this blog post interesting - a discussion with Nagato Shihan (one of the senior Japanese teachers) on ground fighting (really on all sport martial arts). Keep in mind he, too, was a very accomplished kick boxer and judoka in his younger days...

http://bujinkangard.wordpress.com/201 ... o-shihan-ground-fighting/

Posted on: 2014/1/30 10:07

Villager
From Fort Wayne Indiana
Group:
That's a nice article. Thank you for sharing it.

Off topic question. I have a opportunity to study yoga or do crossfit. Opinions guys? Main goals are improved balance and flexability and strength, and aid my weight loss.

Posted on: 2014/1/30 11:18

Cant Stay Offline
From Hamina, Finland
Group:
Quote:

Kframe wrote:
That's a nice article. Thank you for sharing it.

Off topic question. I have a opportunity to study yoga or do crossfit. Opinions guys? Main goals are improved balance and flexability and strength, and aid my weight loss.

Nagato Sensei once commented, that before you get to Shodan do everything. All kinds of sports and physical activities. Then, after Shodan, start to concentrate.

Posted on: 2014/1/30 17:27
(Bujinkan Budōka since 1985)

Honorary Villager
From Koshigaya, Japan
Group:
Might get flamed for this, but avoid crossfit, you will get injured, especially if your out of shape and overweight.
You will do better to follow a healthy diet and find a strongfirst kettlebell instructor in your area.

Diet being the key to losing weight and staying healthy.
look into Evolutionary Health by Jordan Lark, well priced, great results, accountability, fresh food, and personal tailored plans and coaching.
https://www.facebook.com/JordanLark?fref=ts&ref=br_tf

Working out you should have great technique. You cannot go wrong with a StrongFirst instructor. they will keep you safe, and provide you with a program you can follow for months and be able to train at home safely.
http://www.strongfirst.com/instructor ... egory/kettlebell-trainer/
and it will be cheaper than crossfit over a few months.

two simple things really

Find a good nutritionist
find a good Strength coach

Good luck.

Posted on: 2014/1/30 22:45
Of every one-hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are nothing but targets, nine are real fighters... We are lucky to have them, they make the battle... AH but ONE, one of them is a Warrior... he will bring the others back - Hericletus c. 5...

« 1 ... 9 10 11 (12) 13 14 15 »

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor