Socialize

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic  Topic is Locked

(1) 2 »

Training down under?
Frequent Visitor
Group:
村民 :: Villager
Just curious as to who are some instructors or students i definitely could NOT go without training at least once with in Australia.

Many instructors are featured in a MA magazine "Blitz"; i have yet to commence training in this beautiful art, yet i do intend to do so, in conjunction with some travel at a later date.

The primary purpose for me selecting this art over ANY other art, including my former Bando and Wing-Chun styles, are the dexterity, diversity and versatility that it encompasses.

I've seen various dojos over here, had a few friends and a cousin training in Bujinkan, and have been simply astounded.

Would anybody be able to highlight a few genuine practitioners please?

Duncan Stewart, Steve Revnak, Greg Hinks, Mike Tattoli, Mike Hammond, Andrew MacDonald, Jamie MacAninch, Ed Lomax, Darren Horvath?????

If anybody feels insecure about including/excluding certain people, feel free to disregard the post, or simply PM me anytime.
I don't wish to appear to downgrade anyone, especially since i am a non-Bujinkan member.

Thanks for the time taken to read a non-member's (not for long ) query!

Best Regards to all,
P. S

Posted on: 2003/3/25 16:23
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Training down under?
Deleted_
I answered your PM on who I would recommend training with in Perth. As for other locations I made a list of people I know and recommend which can be found here:
Australian Bujinkan Dojo List

Ed Lomax from your list now lives in Japan.

Posted on: 2003/3/25 17:13

[mistake]
Deleted_

Posted on: 2003/3/26 17:40

Re: Research tools
Kutaki Postmaster
From Ann Arbor, MI, USA
Group:
I second that. The list is excellent. Only the best representation of the art there.

I would start my journey there. Granted, the Shidoshi are all over the country. There are certain teachers who are "better" than others for different things in different areas of Australia.

-ben

Posted on: 2003/3/27 2:25

re
Deleted_
Quote:

bencole wrote:
I second that. The list is excellent. Only the best representation of the art there.

Thanks for that Ben.
I actually read Matts post as a comment that his own instructor Peter Duffy isn't included on the list. We have a seminar with Greg Alcorn coming up on the 5th / 6th of April so I would hope to see all the Shidoshi in Brisbane there. Instructors who attend seminars, and participate, will be included in my recommended dojo list no questions asked.

Posted on: 2003/3/28 7:10

[mistake]
Deleted_

Posted on: 2003/3/28 11:18

Re: Integrity
Deleted_
Quote:
1. Can watching be considered a method of learning?

All training involves "watching" but then the most important phase comes into play - actually trying it for yourself. I hope no-one seriously believe it's good enough to just watch training and then take it back to your dojo to teach to your students?

Quote:
2. Should members be penalised for having higher priority commitments such as family, work and/or budgetory constraints? (I like the flat, fixed fee methodology personally...).

No, I think this should always be taken into consideration. If you have the time to teach though I can't see why you wouldn't not have the time to train?

Quote:
3. Could one method of assessing a teacher's ability be the all-round quality* of their senior students?

I'm a very poor teacher myself, I just enjoy budo. Because I can't teach I just do things I want to practice myself and let people copy that - if anyone gets anything out of good for them. I don't base my recommendations on who is a good teacher, just on who I think are reasonable practitioners. People who are at least on the same road.

Quote:
Acknoweldgement: Duncan has an excellent senior student (his first shidoshi in fact) who received his black belt from Peter a couple of years ago - congratulations all concerned, no thanks necessary...

Dale Heers is an excellent Shidoshi because he puts the work in himself. I don't take credit for anything - people are only what they make of themselves surely?

Quote:
There once was a little boy who was a bit of a bully. One day in class he was erratically painting away, splashing paint on the floor and walls, generally creating a mess but having fun none-the-less. Another little boy, educated in the art of painting by a wise (and well connected) old lady, offered the very creative and knowledgeable, but sometimes messy apprentice a few friendly tips...
"How dare you tell me what to do - I've been painting for 10 years just like all the other boys!" replied the little boy, resolving to take this upstart 'know-it-all' off his birthday party list...

I assume from this that I'm the bully, Peter Duffy is the educated one and the wise, well connected old lady is Peter's Kenbu / Iaido sensei?

There is a lot I could say here but I'm not going to get into a mud-slinging match with you mate.

Posted on: 2003/3/28 12:22

[mistake]
Deleted_

Posted on: 2003/3/28 16:37

Re: Maturity
Deleted_
Quote:

Mariwasi wrote:
1. Can we (BBT practitioners) learn and improve from exposure to other arts whilst remaining loyal to Hatsumi-sensei's teachings?

I would say yes.

Quote:
2. How important are 'teaching' skills in passing on the art of survival?

I don't know. I would prefer to study with an excellent practitioner than an excellent teacher.

Quote:
3. Like any field of study surely objective, rational evaluation and not perspective or emotion based reasoning is the goal?

I agree

Quote:
4. Are we not all just trying to learn and survive? Can't we work together instead of playing games?
I am still not convinced that the issue at hand is nothing more that sour grapes.

What games? Sour grapes about what?
I created a dojo list of people I recommend training with in Australia. If I didn't include your teacher then sorry, I have based my desisions on my own judgement. If I am wrong then I'll re-examine my position when I see Peter training at Greg Alcorn's seminar.

Posted on: 2003/3/28 18:16

Sorry to cause a debate..........
Frequent Visitor
Group:
This is what i was afraid of.

I must give HUGE props to Mr Mitchell in making his recommendations vocal!!!

Not everyone will meet each individual's standard, nor will they be on the same "wave lenght/path", although i'm sure their destination will ultimately be the same, should they be loyal to the Bujinkan.

I'm sure Mr Duffy is a very proficient practitioner, i'm sure Mr Mitchell would have missed out others he "hasn't" seen in action (obviously), or those who are recommended by other instructors.

My view though, in its infancy is that everyone has his/her personal opinion, and there's really no need to critique it.

Thanks to all who participated in the discussion nonethelss.

Ciao for now.

Posted on: 2003/3/28 19:08

(1) 2 »

Topic is Locked

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor