Dpinga

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

Staying at the Asuza Inn
Frequent Visitor
From Edmonton, Canada
Group:
村民 :: Villager
I will be staying at the Inn while I am in Japan. I am considering having the meals there and am wondering what they are as the person I am traveling with is pretty picky.
If anyone has an idea please let me know. Also do you need to bring your own bedding? I will be leaving on the 8th of August.
Thanks in advance

Posted on: 2005/7/30 12:12
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Staying at the Asuza Inn
Permanent Village Fixture
From Centerville, Ohio
Group:
I think the Asuza only serves breakfast(anyone know?). I am also very picky. Maybe this will help:

There is a McDonalds within a mile or so of the Hombu, locals will direct you. My savior while there.

Sukiaki is tremendous.

Ichidais is very good as well. Order Yakitori(chicken on a stick). Maybe you can get directions on that one too?

"Jusco" is a local supermarket type place that has a full grocery on the bottom floor where you can find anything for your picky friend.

Posted on: 2005/7/30 13:42

Kutaki Postmaster
From New York, NY
Group:
The Azusa serves 3 meals, but they're only during set times of the day. And anyone who's remotely picky should probably find alternative food sources.

Nate's got some good suggestions. I would highly recommend Jusco -- buy what you want for a reasonable price.

Posted on: 2005/7/30 14:04

From Antelope, Ca.
Group:
I finally said ok to breakfast at the Asuza, so lets see I remember the morning getting up and walking into the dining area and then after that I have a hard time remembering anything else. A little soup I think and a raw egg by it's self, maybe some seaweed. Sorry I'm lossing it again.
Nates ideas are what I did after that!!
Barry

Posted on: 2005/7/31 2:00
Nourished by the earth, I cultivate it.
Can you grapple with the fire?
Warmed by the fire I feed it.

Deleted_
I stayed there and breakfast was typically a bowl of rice, a raw egg, some fish slab things I could not identify, and some green tea. It was ok for about three days then I moved on to other things.

It was an ok place but honestly I would never stay there again. Small, cramped, expensive (similar prices to much nicer places in Kashiwa), the doors were so small I kept hitting my head, shared showers, etc.

I'm going for a private room with my own bathroom for about $10 more a night next time.

Posted on: 2005/7/31 3:12

Village Old Timer
From Dayton, Ohio
Group:
I love the Azuza Inn.

It is full of odd things that make our trip to Japan very unique. You can't beat the location - 5 minute walk to Hombu, Jusco, and Noda in General. We do not eat there as there are so many places near by. We usually do breakfast at Denny's and then lunch and dinner when we are out and about. By mid week we usually have been to Jusco and have regular meal items.

Stay at Kashiwa and you might miss out on all the fun.

Marty Dunsky

Posted on: 2005/7/31 16:51

Deleted_
To me Kashiwa has more places to eat, to shop, to play, is on both the line that goes to the Hombu and Ayase and has a Starbucks about 300 feet from where I'm staying next time:)

Besides that I'll avoid more bumps and bruises to my head from the 5' doorways at Azusa, and won't have to share a room or smell smoke coming up from rooms below me. Besides I would not mind a washer and dryer that actually work my next time over hehe.

Posted on: 2005/8/1 0:58

Kutaki Postmaster
From New York, NY
Group:
I sometimes consider staying in Kashiwa, but I'm very fond of the Azusa. The women who run the place are absolute sweethearts, and we have easy access to some of Noda's quirkier spots. I'm a short guy (about 2'), so the rooms are actually okay for me. Staying at the Azusa becomes part of the whole slightly odd Japan experience for our group.

On the other hand, if you're a big guy (or have big feet) and/or like more privacy, then I can definitely see the advantages of staying in a more normal hotel. One of our taller guys hit his head everyday for the first 3 days in Japan (pretty funny to watch).

Posted on: 2005/8/1 1:40

From Centerville, Ohio
Group:
I can attest to how nice they are.

I wanted to buy one of those unisex kimonos that they sell there for my grandma as a gift from Japan. They were out of stock but said to check with them in the morning.

I went to them the following morning and they gave me a beautiful black kimono with gold and red on it to take to my grandma. I didn't say that they offered to let me buy it, they GAVE it to me. They don't know me, and I hadn't done anything for them. I don't know that I've met nicer people.

The rooms may be small but I think being able to walk anywhere you need to go(5 minutes to Hombu) is a huge plus.

Posted on: 2005/8/1 5:12

Frequent Visitor
From Edmonton, Canada
Group:
Thanks for all of the input.

The last time I was there I stayed in Mark's place. It was great. But that was 11 years ago. This time I wanted to see what else was out there. I just need a place to sleep, shower and soak. I hope to meet some of and thank you personally for all of the info. Also should we bring little gifts to give people or is that "not cool". I just want to make sure that we reflect well on the Bujinkan and on Soke while we are there. If you are a Canadian and want some "Canadian Stuff" let me know. I will bring it along.

Posted on: 2005/8/1 13:42

(1) 2 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor