Recent Topics

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

First class of the year. Some thoughts.
Village Old Timer
Group:
村民 :: Villager
議長 :: Mod
As you may or not be aware (but should), the theme of the year is Shinden Fudo Ryu. I was at the first class of the year with Soke this evening at Ayase and thought I would share some of the things I heard/picked up while there.

We really only did one technique. Nichigeki. This is the first waza from the Shinden Fudo Ryu densho (if I am not mistaken). I will not go into the ins and outs of the waza here, as you should be learning that sort of thing from your instructor. If you really want to see it, pick up the Daikomysai DVD from 1998. It is the first technique shown. We also did several henka for Nichigeki, which I believe are included in the Densho.

Some quotes (paraphrased, hehe) from Soke:

"There are no kamae in Shinden Fudo Ryu. You are free to take any kamae you want. You can take a good kamae or a bad kamae. Good things can happen as well as bad things can happen."

"I have been training for 50 years to get everyone to this level. This way the next generation can be prepared."

"Human beings control nature and are controlled by nature."

"If you think this technique is good or bad you are still a learner."

"You need to move naturally in order to defeat bad people."

He also mentioned "Cho Shizen" on more than one occasion and that can be translated as supernatural or extranatural.

And, of course, I have forgotten many of the other things he said. If anyone finds this post helpful or at least entertaining I may try to post more.

Posted on: 2006/1/10 22:06
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: First class of the year. Some thoughts.
Just Passing Through
From Paris France
Group:
Thank you for sharing your training notes with us. Quotes by Sensei are always of interest even if we did not attend the class.

About "controlling Nature" and "being controlled" by it. During one of his last classes in December, Sensei said something similar: "If we try to control Uke, we lose control of ourselves". It looks like another way to explain the In-yo (yinyang). Nature impose the situation and we adapt a dead Waza to it naturally.

Happy Fudoshin year to all of you!

Sincerely,

Arnaud Cousergue
Bujinkan France

Posted on: 2006/1/10 22:34

Unsubscribed
Deleted_Unsubscribed
Syd,

thanks for sharing that with us, especially Sensei's words. i think that's awesome. i've been playing the 1998 Daikomyosai dvd every monday since it came out; not entirely sure why, but i know that it feels good. perhaps your post will help me to look at Nichigeki from a new perspective.

just my opinion, but i think it would be great if you kept these posts coming. i would certainly enjoy anything you had to share on this subject.

keep 'em coming, buddy.

mark spada

Posted on: 2006/1/10 22:35

Frequent Visitor
From Tokyo, Japan
Group:
Double wow!

I just got home from tonight's class and there is already a post about it and wow #2, Arnaud has made an appearance. Hello my furry French friend.

Tonight's class was exciting, inspirational and thought provoking, but also a natural (shizen, an important theme for this year) continuation of last year. As Sensei has said before, it's always the next and the next and the next. Being complacent with your current level and your current understanding is never enough. We have to keep forging forward. To be satisfied with wherever you're, is tantamount to death. Gambatte kudasai! Keep going!

Just my initial thoughts.

Cheers,
Pete

Posted on: 2006/1/10 23:54

Active Kutakian
From Barcelona (Spain)
Group:
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
Thank you very much for share it with us.
Keep doing it please !!!

Posted on: 2006/1/11 2:04

Dani Esteban -Koryu-
Bujinkan Bushi Dojo
Barcelona (Spain)
http://bushidojo.wordpress.com

Village Old Timer
From San Francisco, California, USA
Group:
Quote:

benkyoka wrote:
We really only did one technique. Nichigeki. This is the first waza from the Shinden Fudo Ryu densho (if I am not mistaken). . .If you really want to see it, pick up the Daikomysai DVD from 1998. It is the first technique shown.

It's also in the Quest video, and the '98 US Tai Kai video, and the '92 US Tai Kai video.

Oh yes. . .How many people remember that the '92 Atlanta Tai Kai theme was Shinden Fudo ryu? I was there, but to be honest I'd totally forgotten it was that one until I came across the tape the other night.

I can't wait to get a first-hand "feel" for the way Sensei presents it this year -- it's always "new". Thanks so much for sharing this with us, and please continue!

Posted on: 2006/1/11 3:10

Occasional Visitor
Group:
Nice quotes. Gives me something to think about. ^__^

I'm pretty new to the Bujinkan (started beginning of the school year in September), so I don't know a lot about the different schools. Since the theme of this thread seems to be the Shindenfudo-ryu - would any of you mind explaining a bit about what this school is like? I know "shin" can be translated as "heart" (among other things) and "fudo" as "immovable", but overall what does that mean? Can any of you describe what the school is about? I'd really like to know a bit what I'm supposed to be learning, like things about the freedom of kamae in this school, mentioned in the first quote.

Thanks! Sorry if I should have started a new thread with this...

Posted on: 2006/1/11 5:33

Deleted_
Quote:

PU_Oseike wrote:
...I'd really like to know a bit what I'm supposed to be learning, like things about the freedom of kamae in this school, mentioned in the first quote.

Thanks! Sorry if I should have started a new thread with this...

At Month #5 -- you should be learning the basics -- not about SFR.

-Daniel Weidman
Bujinkan TenChiJin Guy...

Posted on: 2006/1/11 6:47

Cant Stay Offline
From Sacramento, CA (USA)
Group:
村長 :: Admin
議長 :: Mod
Daniel is absolutely right. For instance, the first waza in the Dakentaijutsu portion of SFR (Nichigeki) is a counter to a back throw (Seoi Nage), so if you don't know how to do the throw or you don't have the ukemi for it, you really will not be able to do Nichigeki with any sense of efficiency or real understanding.

What you should be learning, to answer your question, are the kihon (fundamentals), which is what your teacher should be showing you - not what is being posted on forums, websites and the like.

But, if you are interested in the academic side of SFR, you might find this link informative:

http://www.shinobi.org/gambatte/shindenfudouryuu.pdf

This is NOT to replace proper instruction from regular class attendance.

Cheers!

Posted on: 2006/1/11 7:20

I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, or in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. ~ Thomas Jefferson

Village Old Timer
From San Francisco, California, USA
Group:
Quote:

Darren wrote:
Daniel is absolutely right. For instance, the first waza in the Dakentaijutsu portion of SFR (Nichigeki) is a counter to a back throw (Seoi Nage), so if you don't know how to do the throw or you don't have the ukemi for it, you really will not be able to do Nichigeki with any sense of efficiency or real understanding.

Right -- what Dan & Darren said.

In my own class tonight (3rd class of the year) we barely touched on Nichigeki in the second half -- it's mostly been walking and striking practice, which will also continue for a long time. But when we did begin with Nichigeki, I focused on how to actually do the throw which uke attacks with. . .which is not the way it's shown on the various videos I mentioned earlier, which have something missing (hint: Japanese word beginning with a "k" sound).

Posted on: 2006/1/11 16:12

(1) 2 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor