Enjoy!
This is a nice overview on wisdom.

Posted on: 2007/5/14 10:09

Re: A nice account of wisdom
Villager
From Greenville, MI
Group:
村民 :: Villager
Just a question..In the begining of the article it talks about socrates and the oracle. It states that the humility theory is wrong, because he believed the oracle that he was wise. And it he was truly humble he wouldn't have believed the oracle and just went on his way with no puzzle to solve...I think thats the gist of it. But in those days they believed in the Oracle and why would socrates go to the oracle if he didn't believe in what she said? It seems there is too much modern rationality being applied to the essay. Of course maybe thats what I am doing here..Over thinking it. Kinda fun though.

Posted on: 2007/5/15 15:31

Kutaki Postmaster
From 埼玉県、春日部市、日本
Group:
Socrates went to the Oracle with his friend, and his friend asks the Oracle the question.

Socrates does not actually ask the Oracle, and nor does he believe the Oracle. So there isn't a problem with the puzzle.

Did you get the basic gist? You seem to be at least thinking about it.

And, there is another thing you might need to know about Socrates, he actually was ordered to kill himself with poison for corupting the youth.

And, as far as I know he never believed in Gods or Oracles. But, I never got into ancient philosophy.

But, I thought the article was kind of cool. At least a beginning for making sense of wisdom at least.

Posted on: 2007/5/15 17:28

Villager
From Greenville, MI
Group:
Ok, that makes a bit more sense to me. Yes, I knew he was sentenced to suicide. The corruption of youth was mostly just a state sponsored excuse. It wasn't always good to be right. I guess you could say sometimes its more wise to not be right, eh?

Posted on: 2007/5/16 14:49

Villager
From USA, PA
Group:
Gaijin (Inactive)
Isn't the meaning of wisdom itself up for speculation? What does it mean to be wise, and who is wise enough to know it?

I feel that you can not measure a persons wisdom directly. Is one person more wise than another? Just because of some limited perspective?

In terms of martial arts I remember a friend of mine used the following story when I talked about the many variations in Bujinkan:
A cat and a fox were sitting in the shade of a tree in the middle of a field arguing about how to defend against a pack of dogs. The fox boasted, "I know 1,000 ways to escape from a pack of dogs". The cat replied, "wow amazing, I only know one". Just at that moment a pack of dogs entered the field at a tremendous pace. The cat immediately lept up the tree to a high branch. The fox ran this way and that while deciding one of its 1,000 methods of escape, was pounced upon and torn to shreds.

I had to admit he had a point, I though about it later that night and then realized. What if there was no tree nearby? What if it was a small tree and the dogs can jump? What if the dogs don't leave? etc etc. So unfortunately the cat just seemed wise in this story but in another story would have paid the price of being a smart ass.

Wisdom is like an illusion perhaps, you sometimes see it when it is not there, and other times it is there but you know not that it is.

Posted on: 2007/5/17 0:52

Kutaki Postmaster
From 埼玉県、春日部市、日本
Group:
Quote:
Isn't the meaning of wisdom itself up for speculation? What does it mean to be wise, and who is wise enough to know it?

That was what the whole article basically was about – clarification of what wisdom means. You do not have to be wise to know that you are not wise, nor do you have to be wise to tell that another person is wise. You can knowledge without being wise, but you can’t be wise without having knowledge.

Quote:
I feel that you can not measure a persons wisdom directly.

But, wouldn’t it be nice to have a wisdom meter, beep, beep, beep, BEEEEEPPPP! Wise person ahead! Fakes then would be easier to spot 

Quote:
Is one person more wise than another?

Yes!

Quote:
Just because of some limited perspective?

I have no clue what you mean by a limited perspective could you explain more, that might help.

Nice story…
Quote:
A cat and a fox were sitting in the shade of a tree in the middle of a field arguing about how to defend against a pack of dogs. The fox boasted, "I know 1,000 ways to escape from a pack of dogs". The cat replied, "wow amazing, I only know one". Just at that moment a pack of dogs entered the field at a tremendous pace. The cat immediately lept up the tree to a high branch. The fox ran this way and that while deciding one of its 1,000 methods of escape, was pounced upon and torn to shreds.

But, I fail to see anything remotely related to wisdom. All I read is a story about talking animals and a fox boasting about how many ways they have to escape a pack of dogs. The moral of the story is not related to wisdom. This story is probably not going to be much use in illustrating your point on wisdom. But, cool story…

Quote:
Wisdom is like an illusion perhaps, you sometimes see it when it is not there, and other times it is there but you know not that it is.

Proof maybe, without the wisdom meter beep… beep… perhaps may seem like an illusion, but whether or not someone is wise is very much open to debate and can be objectively ascertained. But, the article wasn’t if one can tell say by bumping into someone, the article was an attempt to unravel what wisdom means or what does it mean when a person is wise. But, you probably are right wisdom is not something easily discovered.

Posted on: 2007/5/17 10:14

Cant Stay Offline
From Pennsylvania, USA
Group:
議長 :: Mod
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
I remember the line "wisdom is learning from someone ELSE'S mistake". Maybe, just maybe, wisdom is like good taijutsu. Good taijutsu is able to find and use the best possible movement for the problem at hand. Maybe wisdom is like that, able to find the best possible solution for the difficulty faced. What creates wisdom? Now that is a good question, and just maybe experience in Life is a factor as long as its lessons are properly understood and applied.

Posted on: 2007/5/17 20:54

Villager
From Greenville, MI
Group:
A short little story with multiple meanings...

A man walking throught the desert spots an oasis. In the middle there is a refreshing pool of water. The man dives in to find relief from the heat, only to discover the pool is too shallow and he breaks his neck.

What do you see?

Posted on: 2007/5/18 15:08

Village Old Timer
From Dayton, Ohio
Group:
A buddhist walks up to a Hot Dog vender and says "Make me one with everything..."

Marty

Posted on: 2007/5/18 16:22
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Villager
From Greenville, MI
Group:
So the buddhist guy is eating a hotdog with everything while watching the guy break his neck in the shallow pool...not very buddha like, eh? LOL

Posted on: 2007/5/18 17:44

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor