Dpinga

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

Dan Shu
Active Kutakian
Group:
村民 :: Villager
Hi everybody,

I do face some difficulties with the Gyokko Ryu technique Dan Shu.

The critical point is the lock at the end of the technique, I learned an hon gyaku with migi keri to ukes right knee.

In Sokes newest book there should be a take ori with reversed grip. Finaly uke should fall unto his back.

Somehow I´m not able to do any of those locks without changing hands (the left is blocking ukes fudo ken). So it doesn´t feel right.

How are you guys doing this?

Regards

Posted on: 2008/8/23 6:34

"Thou art a child of nature.
Thou shalt know that it art a crime to murder thy mother.
Yet, I hear her skriek in horror ... "
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Dan Shu
Village Old Timer
From Dayton, Ohio
Group:
Well it's obvious then, Soke must be wrong!

Marty

Posted on: 2008/8/23 7:51

Villager
From London
Group:
I've been looking at this kata myself this last week.

I was looking at the new book, the 'Gyokko Ryu' DVD, and the 2005 Daikomyosai DVD.

I found the 2005 DVD was able to give a perspective which helped knock me out of my 'mental rut'. YMMV.

I'd be curious to hear anyone else's perspectives as well...

Posted on: 2008/8/23 8:06

Permanent Village Fixture
From Cupertino, CA
Group:
Step by step kata instruction by internet is probably not feasible . But I think we can still share some pointers..
(include standard "askyourteacher" clause )

One general pointer, that you may find useful is considering that this is kosshi-jutsu, so the while you receive and strike you want to have the body of the attacker "reshaped" in such a way that the space for a next move is made... if you do not use taijutsu and space properly it will feel awkward (which is one of the first indicators that I use on myself ). For example: maybe you do not strike in such a way that the attacker's body (spine alignment etc.) is reshaped as doctor prescribed?

Quote:

stephen wrote:

I was looking at the new book, the 'Gyokko Ryu' DVD, and the 2005 Daikomyosai DVD.

my thoughts exactly, also, for me, 2001 TaiKai dvd turned out very useful too when I returned from a class several weeks ago where we played with those kosshi-jutsu kata (Dale illustrated some condepts using "togakurized" version of several first GKR kata ).

When I watch dvds, In general, I find it useful to look/feel for a common denominator of various henka that Sensei shows while a given kata is shown. This common part seems to reveal some principles that he is demonstrating.

peace
mn

Posted on: 2008/8/23 10:18

From Austin,TX
Group:
Quote:
Hi everybody,

I do face some difficulties with the Gyokko Ryu technique Dan Shu.

The critical point is the lock at the end of the technique, I learned an hon gyaku with migi keri to ukes right knee.

In Sokes newest book there should be a take ori with reversed grip. Finaly uke should fall unto his back.

Somehow I´m not able to do any of those locks without changing hands (the left is blocking ukes fudo ken). So it doesn´t feel right.

How are you guys doing this?

Regards

I don't remember there being take ori or hon gyaku in Dan Shu.....might you be thinking of Renyo?

Mod.edit (Ôari): added the quotation tags

Posted on: 2008/8/23 12:24

Please be careful not to have preconceptions, and to always remember the idea of truth-and-falsehood.
-- Hatsum

Village Old Timer
Group:
議長 :: Mod
It's an ashi take ori. You are breaking his ankle.

Posted on: 2008/8/23 12:37

Group:
If you check out the original Gyokko ryu tape (Dan Shu) is not done with a take ori or hon gyaku. Historically, there are no hon gyaku or take ori within this school. That is why they are not done in the kihon happo. They are used in the jujutsu schools. Dan Shu was done with a muso dori. This is also the way I was taught.

As far as the book is concerned maybe during the filming because of situation at the time the person ended up in a take ori. I don't think they do many retakes and just let things happen as they may. It was the same with the original set of tapes by Hatsumi Sensei. When there was a mistake he just left it in the tape because real things happen.

That could also explain why they ended on the back. I was also taught the uke should land on its back. It depends on the angle of the kick and which way the uke is leaning. That will change the finish for the kata.

There is a similiar technique in Shinden Fudo Ryu Dakentaijutsu where the grabbing hand is taken into take ori from a sameside hand. It one of the basic grips for the school when the person grabs you. You can put your hand on top of their hand, underneath their elbow, on top of their shoulder and finally from underneath. The last one is how you take the take ori with one hand. You do a sameside hand grab from underneath with your palm facing their palm. Break the grip, lift the hand up and you have a take ori.

Good luck.

Posted on: 2008/8/23 12:45

Group:
Quote:
Jwills79 wrote: I was also taught the uke should land on its back.

Most of the finishes in this school have the opponent on their side for a stomp. It is easier to roll an opponent on their side from their back than from their stomach. They also use alot omote gyakus which would explain it.

Posted on: 2008/8/23 13:15

Active Kutakian
Group:
Quote:
Dan Shu was done with a muso dori. This is also the way I was taught.

Hmmm, that might be. I learned it some years ago, but can´t remember. I´ll try that and check if it feels "right". Thanks.

Quote:
I don't remember there being take ori or hon gyaku in Dan Shu.....might you be thinking of Renyo?

Yes I am sure, Renyo I learned to finish with an omote gyaku preceded by an ura gyaku.

Posted on: 2008/8/23 15:28

"Thou art a child of nature.
Thou shalt know that it art a crime to murder thy mother.
Yet, I hear her skriek in horror ... "

Bwahahaha...
From Dallas, TX
Group:
the takeori is a kick to the leg... the first gyaku is what becomes a te-hodoki... takeori to the leg is not what you normaly think take ori to the wrist is... reread it...

I am in austin texas... koryuu sean is about to teach in a few hours...

Posted on: 2008/8/23 16:41

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor