Dpinga

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Just a little worried
Active Kutakian
From Sheffield, England
Group:
村民 :: Villager
As far as I see it you have three options.

1. Do nothing. They'll either get fed up and stop bothering, or things will escalate to a physical confrontation - at which point I agree with YamaMizu (above).

2. You could "take the fight to them" as it were. Verbally parrying could stop the problem, but again it could excalate it, and this time you could be done for provoking a fight.

3. Never leave the house again. It doesn't matter where you go, because at some point there's always going to be someone or some group that's behaving in that way.

Posted on: 2005/9/5 23:24

Deleted_
I think fear is an important ally and I wouldn't dismiss it. In your situation I would take a different route. In the past I've had to make similarly inconvenient changes, but looking back, it was a wise decision.

Posted on: 2005/9/6 1:05
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Villager
From Manchester, England
Group:
Thanks again Bujinkaners, for all your input and information, i suppose what i'll do is get a taxi from the station, rather than risking my life.

Giuseppe.

Posted on: 2005/9/6 23:56

Village Old Timer
From oz
Group:
fair enough, but what happens if a similar group starts hanging around the front of your house? do you start climbing out the back window?

taxi's can add up too, but i suppose it's cheaper than a new life.

as an example(true story)

i moved to a strange country where i didn't know a soul, about a few months after i moved into a rented unit, the guy next door(an alcho.) took offence to how hard i closed the door one evening. he came out yelling 'can you slam that door any [oops]ing louder!', i was sitting on the floor playing some playstation game and i thought 'fair enough mate' and continued the game.

5 minutes later his door opened again and he starts yelling ' if you slam that door again, i'm going to slam you into the wall!!' i popped up onto my feet, opened my door stepped outside and said ' well come on then [oops] lets see you slam me then!' and gave him my best poker face.

he back peddled a bit, his face as white as a sheet and ended up sort of cuddling his door halfway down, it was a pretty funny sight, with my girlfriend holding the fist i was about to launch at him, had he stepped into range, with both her hands,lol.

i was shaking a bit after getting back inside, when all the 'what if's' started, i'm not sure if i did the right thing, but i never had any more bother with him. i think most folks will back down when it comes to the crunch, and the ones that won't, don't usually start the trouble.

best wishes

Posted on: 2005/9/7 18:50

Oldschoolcarpentry.com.au

Deleted_
Quote:
fair enough, but what happens if a similar group starts hanging around the front of your house? do you start climbing out the back window?

taxi's can add up too, but i suppose it's cheaper than a new life.

Then he would deal with that situation. Right now he is in a position to avoid conflict.

Posted on: 2005/9/7 23:41

Villager
From Manchester, England
Group:
you make a good point when it does come down to the crunch the ones that mouth off just back off. But i'm always a little hesitant to even actually mouth back off at them.

Posted on: 2005/9/7 23:53

Deleted_
Quote:
you make a good point when it does come down to the crunch the ones that mouth off just back off. But i'm always a little hesitant to even actually mouth back off at them.

Even if that's true, and I don't think it is, are you willing to bet your life on a hunch? It takes very little to escalate from harmless banter to curb stomping.

Some links for you to check out:

Lies to Bleed For

No Nonsense Self-Defense

Posted on: 2005/9/8 0:09

Active Kutakian
From Winterpeg, Manitoba, Canada
Group:
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
Hi Giuseppe,

I hope this finds you and your friend safe and well.

When I first read your post a few thoughts/questions came up.

What were you/your friend wearing? Were you more animated (physically and/or vocally) than usual? As you were on your way home from the dojo, were you discussing training?

Groups like this are opportunists. Was the only factor here a closing of distance or was there something else about you/your friend that caught their attention?

I'm not laying blame. Just exploring another element of this event which I don't feel has been touched on in the responses so far.

A few days have passed, have you travelled that route on foot again? If so, how did you feel and were there any issues with people along the way? How much of your apprehension after the event was actually based on external stimuli (from the group)?

We all go through this kind of thing at some point so the insights may help others.

Keep your head up and your eyes open!

Adam McColl

Posted on: 2005/9/8 7:51

Villager
From Manchester, England
Group:
cheers adam, well to be honest with i actually thought about this today, before i even seen your post, but i was wearing baggy jeans and a t-shirt, you see over here when you wear something like that you are classed as a "mosher" someone who basically likes the rock and metal music genre which i do, so maybe it was possibly the fact it was my clothes that would have given them the urge to start running their mouth.

Giuseppe Storto

Posted on: 2005/9/8 23:54

Village Old Timer
From oz
Group:
i just wrote a fairly verbose reply to you jonathan, but i was timed out aaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhrrrr!!!

don't you just hate that,

anyway the short version, thanks for the links, even if they do appear to be aimed at 14 yr old tae qwon do students. a lot of what i read supported my ideas, so perhaps you should read them yourself.

i am not promoting full hardy bravado, because we are really tough ninjurs. i am saying you have to learn to stand up for yourself, live your life the way it makes you happy, being nice because you choose to be and not out of fear. i wish i could find that quote by takamatsu sensie.

'the next time' or 'ok, i'll put up with this, this time, but...' tomorrow never comes, sooner or later you have to strap on a pair, draw a line in the sand, and tell yourself 'it stops here and now'

whether you think my 'theori' is lot of rubbish, is up to you, all i can tell you is it works for me, and has done counless times, with very few times i've had to scrap it out. it's about 'just enough' that both of you can back away without losing face, not about a fake, feeble 'raff off you toffy nosed twit' which isn't foolin anyone and will result in a bloody nose the hard bit is keeping your cool, when that adrenaline is pumping.

eyeballing people isn't the 'only' way to go, that is case by case and experiance, but standing up for yourself is almost(but not 100% always) the best choice, be it to some [chaps] on a train, your girlfriend or your boss. quick wit is also pretty handy. you will always be given more respect afterwards by all concerned including yourself, and i have found it better than pretending to be blind and deaf with a stiff neck, hiding under the bed or crunching yourself up into a ball, hands over your head and making a loud whining noise , and it's a heck of a lot cheaper than taxi's everywhere.

also a few of my friends or other people i have known have/are done a bit of time, for things ranging from bank robbery to murder, and in conversations with them, again my ideas are supported, especially in the 'no one backing down' culture of prison, where there are many bullies i'm sure.

anyways i'm off for a pint, i hope it is a peaceful one, no body picking on me,lol

regards,

Posted on: 2005/9/9 21:40

Oldschoolcarpentry.com.au

« 1 (2) 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor