Dpinga

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: spiritual training and kihon happo
Village Old Timer
Group:
村民 :: Villager
議長 :: Mod
I will disagree again. Moving your hips first causes you to take your own balance resulting in you needing to step to regain it. This is the slow method. Try this when practicing taihenjutsu drills against a sword (against a good swordsman) and you will find out how slow it is. Proper taihenjutsu starts from your legs.

Posted on: 2010/9/7 8:23
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Kutaki Postmaster
Group:
But movement still need to be initialed from your core unless you already have the weight transfered off the leg you want to move.

Posted on: 2010/9/7 9:07

Cant Stay Offline
From Sacramento, CA (USA)
Group:
村長 :: Admin
Quote:

benkyoka wrote:
I will disagree again. Moving your hips first causes you to take your own balance resulting in you needing to step to regain it. This is the slow method. Try this when practicing taihenjutsu drills against a sword (against a good swordsman) and you will find out how slow it is. Proper taihenjutsu starts from your legs.

True, especially when first learning muto dori. The thing I caution is that in order to move weight, it has to either lift off a planted posture, or knees need to bend in order to create motion, then guided with footwork.

When you move from A to B, you have to be careful not to let weight settle too much. That's when you lock in your position. You can't unlock and move fast enough. This can happen when you move too much body weight in one direction, then stop.

Knowing how to move your parts independently, to keep the motion continuing, is key to avoiding this trap. It's also hard to track.

Posted on: 2010/9/7 9:14

I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, or in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. ~ Thomas Jefferson

Village Old Timer
From Dayton, Ohio
Group:
There are times that you initiate the movement in your core, times you may drag the core along, times you do it all together. The ability to do what ever you want is called body control. The knowledge to do what is appropriate, when it is appropriate is called Taijutsu!

Marty

Posted on: 2010/9/7 10:59

Village Old Timer
Group:

Quote:

mrdunsky wrote:
There are times that you initiate the movement in your core, times you may drag the core along, times you do it all together. The ability to do what ever you want is called body control. The knowledge to do what is appropriate, when it is appropriate is called Taijutsu!

Marty

So you subscribe to the 'whatever ends up working at that instant is proper taijutsu' theory?

Posted on: 2010/9/7 11:09

Kutaki Postmaster
Group:
Quote:

mrdunsky wrote:

If I am standing normally and advance my right foot one step the movement is initiated from a shift of weight from my centre to move my weight from my right foot to my left in order to move my foot and then return the weight to its centre balanced equally between my two feet.

If I take a step in as the classic weight shift I am shifting my centre (probably sinking a bit) to my left leg and advancing my right foot seemingly independently, placing it and then transferring my weight while probably shifting my weight / balance drawing power from the ground, through the legs, hips and spine etc.

Unless I immobilise my upper body somehow I can’t move my legs without moving from my core. Even if I am standing on one leg I can’t put the other leg down or hop without doing this.

Posted on: 2010/9/7 11:27

Village Old Timer
From Dayton, Ohio
Group:
Quote:

benkyoka wrote:

So you subscribe to the 'whatever ends up working at that instant is proper taijutsu' theory?

That is not what I said.

Marty

Posted on: 2010/9/7 11:31

Village Old Timer
From Dayton, Ohio
Group:
Quote:

Zenigata wrote:

Unless I immobilise my upper body somehow I can’t move my legs without moving from my core. Even if I am standing on one leg I can’t put the other leg down or hop without doing this.

To one subtle degree or another it is true that to move your extremities you at least have to stabilize your core. It is different to say you have to move your core.

Marty

Posted on: 2010/9/7 11:33

Kutaki Postmaster
Group:
Quote:

mrdunsky wrote:
Quote:

Zenigata wrote:

To one subtle degree or another it is true that to move your extremities you at least have to stabilize your core. It is different to say you have to move your core.

Marty

I'm not saying you have to move your core but understand how movement is initiated from your core.

Because I'm a Shiraishi Dojo student things like this are close to my heart.

Posted on: 2010/9/7 11:43

Kutaki Postmaster
From Wyoming
Group:
It is physically impossible to initiate movement from the feet alone. It simply cannot be done. That is not how our muscular/skeletal system functions.

This reminds me of a conversation I had with a karateka about the heel being on the floor in zenkutsu dachi. He insisted that it pushed off to move you forward. This is not possible, it is not how the foot works in that configuration. In forward motion the heel is a receiver, not an initiator.

Posted on: 2010/9/7 12:13

What? Yes...that's how I do that....why...why do you ask?

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor