Recent Topics

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 »

Re: Everyday items...
Permanent Village Fixture
From Toronto/Waterloo, Canada Eh!
Group:
村民 :: Villager
very nice! I'm guessing that you are advocating carrying a cane whether injured or not?

the rubber tip thing is throwing me a bit though???

Posted on: 2005/4/4 7:18
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Villager
From Phoenix, AZ
Group:
Jon, just make sure you remember your cane in court and which leg has the limp.

I think it's a little goofy to come up with things I can carry to use for protection. Instead, I'm just going to look at what I normally carry and see if it serves a purpose in this manner.

Wallet- I can throw it/use as distraction. Of course, I probably lose my wallet at this point, but I don't typically carry cash anyway. No biggie.

Student ID- It has a metal clip on it that might be good for scratching. That's about it. If I lose it, I owe 10 bucks to get a new one.

Chapstick- I suppose I could shove it into someone's eye?

Keys- I may need to start my car and flee. I think I'll keep these in my pocket.

Cellphone- This doesn't seem to have much use.

I'm thinking I'd still choose running away if it's a viable option. If not, I don't see a whole lot of value in trying to dispense a threat with the above items. I have a pretty big head that I can swing around if I need to.

Posted on: 2005/4/4 8:41

Cant Stay Offline
From Pennsylvania, USA
Group:
議長 :: Mod
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
In our legal system, the rubber tip on the end makes it a "medical instrument". This means if someone grabs your cane it is assault, just like grabing you. Needless to say this gives you a major legal advantage.
Ed Martin aka Papa-san

Posted on: 2005/4/4 10:36

Honorary Villager
From Boston
Group:
I've seen a demo video (sorry, can't remember where right now) of a cellphone being used in a strike to the temple. Small things like chapstick can make pressure points hurt that much more. Or you could throw it at their face as a distraction.

Posted on: 2005/4/5 0:01
"The good Christian should beware of mathematicians and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and confine man in the bonds of Hell."

From Leesburg, Florida, USA
Group:
Quote:

Kopyo wrote:
I've seen a demo video (sorry, can't remember where right now) of a cellphone being used in a strike to the temple. Small things like chapstick can make pressure points hurt that much more. Or you could throw it at their face as a distraction.

I think I remember one here....

http://www.bujinkannyc.org/html/mtm_other_wpn.html

Posted on: 2005/4/5 3:44
Florida Bujinkan Network

Group:
Nice... I like that site...

Jason thanks for the advice ... I'll remember to bring it to court. although I wonder what they'd say if I told them I only use it on occasion when my knee acts up or something (that way all the investigators photos won't help...lol)

We once used a cell phone in training. used the glow of the light as a distraction...ex. you punch at me I reveal the glow and you follow it with your punch.

you're right... I don't think I'd want to carry around anything too rediculous for self defence purposes, but if it were something small and simple than I might make an exception. I'd also feel more comforted in a situation.

Posted on: 2005/4/5 10:53

Group:
forgot to mention all of the times I've used a plastic beer cup as a potential weapon when I talk people down from fighting at parties, etc. just toss the contents in their face, and you don't seem as threatening if you have a drink in your hand for some reason... I guess u appear unprepared or unaggressive.

ohh.. noone mentioned any James bond type gadgets... like if I were to wear a watch (shich I don't cuz I find it annoys me) than I might hide something in the band etc.

some people at my highschool used to carry razor blades and put them in their mouths b4 a potential conflict...not that I see much of a value in that.

maybe one of those huge cowboy belt buckles as a shurikan...hahahhaha

Posted on: 2005/4/5 10:57

Villager
From Stockholm
Group:
"ohh.. noone mentioned any James bond type gadgets... like if I were to wear a watch (shich I don't cuz I find it annoys me) than I might hide something in the band etc."

You mean like one of these? I have one.

http://www.spiderti.com/dband/DBandFrameSet.html

I did however remove the label on the velcro so as not to give its purpose away. Never had any problems with it, nobody even gave it a second look at the airport on my way to Japan.

I also like the pocketed bandanas available from www.survivalsheath.com and www.bladerigger.com, and have several of them. Load them up with a couple of coins, a smooth rock, batteries or any solid object, and they become a formidable flexible weapon.

Then there is the Stinger, always a favorite...

http://www.donrearic.com/stingerchinook.html

Pieces of paper can be rolled up tightly and used as stabbing implements, though I figure doing so would clearly demonstrate intent to kill, and you can only use them once or twice before they become unusable.

Posted on: 2005/4/5 11:14

Group:
now thats a bit more what I'm talking about ...

ye the only question regarding sush things is their legality. But I do think that some of those things are where our minds should be headed... a weapon thats not really a weapon... something simple that you could carry everyday. I still prefer my hands though

I'm just very interested in things that are seemingly harmless but end up being decent self defense tools. keep it coming

Posted on: 2005/4/5 11:52

Active Kutakian
From Memphis, TN - USA
Group:

Posted on: 2005/4/5 12:03

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 »

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor