Cant Stay Offline
From Hamina, Finland
Group:
村民 :: Villager
議長 :: Mod
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
Quote:

Boggs wrote:
Depends on where the "wild" is. Here on Lake Lanier they advise you not to eat any bass beyond a certain size, and in certain sizes you are not supposed to eat it more than twice a month. The reason stated is that these predator fish build up toxins from the hordes of baitfish they consume (not to mention frogs and rats). Eating them farm raised the only toxins they are exposed to is from the pellets they eat and the filtered water they are living in. Now I know that there were a thing years ago about salmon being fed pellets that were above a certain level in a chemical, but that is all I've personally ever read against farm raised.

This is a good point - the proper diet indeed might vary from region to region, thus eating like in place A might be bad for you in place B.

Hey, that reminds me of the Kata-training, the rote movement and that stuff from another thread....

Posted on: 2008/4/30 6:31
(Bujinkan Budōka since 1985)
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Soke's Diet
Honorary Villager
From Chattanooga Tennessee
Group:
Randy Sessions was one of my favorite teachers at B.A.D. as he was so painful. Pain is a great teacher but few want to attend its classes. Thom Humphreys is always telling me this.

Anyway, about the fish, its the same way here in Chattanooga. Catfish should be off the menu and other fish I think is two meals a month. 'round these parts, farm raised is best or farm ponds. When I do eat meat, I try to make it venison which I kill myself, no growth hormones. Also no fat exists in deer within the muscle as they store their fat on the outside.

Didnt want to start a flame war. Things I write about are based on my own experiences and I welcome correction and new knowledge always.

Posted on: 2008/4/30 9:43

Like a mule eatin' Briars. :)

Deleted_
Quote:

Taifuugan wrote:
Randy Sessions was one of my favorite teachers at B.A.D. as he was so painful. Pain is a great teacher but few want to attend its classes. Thom Humphreys is always telling me this.

Anyway, about the fish, its the same way here in Chattanooga. Catfish should be off the menu and other fish I think is two meals a month. 'round these parts, farm raised is best or farm ponds. When I do eat meat, I try to make it venison which I kill myself, no growth hormones. Also no fat exists in deer within the muscle as they store their fat on the outside.

Didnt want to start a flame war. Things I write about are based on my own experiences and I welcome correction and new knowledge always.

Yeah I like Randy he's old school hehe.

I'm more of a trout bum myself, though I mostly catch and release. If you are in Atlanta anytime soon, bring your waders and drop me a line!

Posted on: 2008/4/30 22:10

Honorary Villager
From Chattanooga Tennessee
Group:
Ahhhh....trout fishing, yes, ever been to telico? That is usually where I fish for trout. We eat what we catch there as it is stocked rainbows, however ....there is the occaisonal native brookie, we release those. You must be fishing the Chattahoochee, ultralight or fly?

Posted on: 2008/4/30 22:37

Like a mule eatin' Briars. :)

Deleted_
Locally I fish the "Hooch" or Cooper's Creek. I camp/fish/hike at the Chatooga quite a bit as well.

Posted on: 2008/4/30 22:54

Permanent Village Fixture
From No. Cal., USA
Group:
Lance,
Ouch! I guess I was feeling my oats and trying to out-dick a guy who seems to be in the middle of several hairballs presently (your name here). Maybe next time...

But seriously (how's that for deflection?)
Number A) The funny thing about farmed fish is that they tend to have higher concentrations of fat-soluble toxicants than wild critters because they are in confined spaces. For one, the water they live in may have higher levels of xenobiotics to begin with including potent endocrine disruptors like PCBs, dioxin, growth hormones, pesticides, antibiotics, pthalates, heavy metal, antibiotics, organophosphates.

Number B) Most normal humans have a variety of ailments including but not limited to a sore back for which they take medication. But that misses the point that there is no such thing as a “normal” person.

Number C) No one has ever proved that blueberries and tomatoes actually fight cancer in a clinical or in a free-living situation.

Posted on: 2008/5/2 4:02

Deleted_
Quote:

petelohstroh wrote:
Lance,
Ouch! I guess I was feeling my oats and trying to out-dick a guy who seems to be in the middle of several hairballs presently (your name here). Maybe next time...

Ah gotcha, I'm kind of in the middle of a few rants right now and missed it. It was a good try, but out dicking me might take some work. I teach a graduate course in it...

Quote:

But seriously (how's that for deflection?)
Number A) The funny thing about farmed fish is that they tend to have higher concentrations of fat-soluble toxicants than wild critters because they are in confined spaces. For one, the water they live in may have higher levels of xenobiotics to begin with including potent endocrine disruptors like PCBs, dioxin, growth hormones, pesticides, antibiotics, pthalates, heavy metal, antibiotics, organophosphates.

Cool, I'm familiar with that in salmon, and I know back earlier this decade they were using pellets that had unsafe levels of some kind of crap in them and were making them ingest some type of chemical to change their meat pink.

My understanding is that the local hatcheries here who do trout, which is all that I'll eat that I catch in GA, are just as or not healthier than stream caught.

Honestly I just eat stuff I catch and not worry about it to much.

Quote:

Number B) Most normal humans have a variety of ailments including but not limited to a sore back for which they take medication. But that misses the point that there is no such thing as a “normal” person.

Someone with a sore back is still normal, they just have a sore back. Medically not normal would be hypertensive people, Type I and II Diabetics, people with cancer, severe heart issues, or any other issue that would prevent them from following a regular diet without severe reprecussions (for the purposes of what we are talking about here at least).

Quote:

Number C) No one has ever proved that blueberries and tomatoes actually fight cancer in a clinical or in a free-living situation.

True, but they are foods "thought to fight cancer," much like the ones Chris was talking about which is why I brought them up.

Posted on: 2008/5/2 10:22

Active Kutakian
From Vancouver, WA
Group:
Hmmmm,

Native Americans gobbled nuts, dried meats. Eskimos gobble blubber and seal meat with very littel ingestion of vegetable matter. I eat a western diet consisting of meat, veggies and grains. Medievals ate bread with everything in it. I have lived longer tha most medievals. My G-Grand father had a diet that constisted primarliy of Oklahoma fat saturated foods. His dietician in the old folks home said he needed to cut back on his bacon and eggs in the morning. Unfortunatly he didn't and died at a 106 years of age. I don't think the tabacco could be considered a raw food, but I may be wrong.
Maybe a diet that is comfortable, well rounded, nutrient diverse and in smaller portions could be the only thing you need to do as far as food goes.

Posted on: 2008/5/3 4:23

"But if you have someone who is in great need and you are still stron

Bwahaha...
Permanent Village Fixture
From Dallas, TX
Group:
Quote:

Philip wrote:

Native Americans gobbled nuts, dried meats.

We did??? I am Mescalero Apache and didn't know that... I thought the meat was salted and as a result dried... This enabled to meat to keep and not turn, so to make it last...

I understand the generalizations, and remember Mr Jack Hoban as being the first to introduce the idea of culture and climate influencing food... I don't agree with most of it, but I do understand the basic theory...

I was hoping for this thread to be about Hatsumi Sensei's habits as seen first hand from people that have had the pleasure to have broken bread with him... Not just anyone's theories on diet from a quick google search or a wikipedia entry as a source...

I have had the privelage to have eaten with Sensei on a few occasions at Taikai's... The problem with this is that he sampled the different regions specialties rather than request anything specific, so as to take advantage of his travels... Hardly anything worth citing on this subject. Although, he often seemed to be watching what others were doing and eating... The whole time aware that all eyes were on him...

Perhaps "shut up and listen... don't post unless you know somthing" should be a new admonition... hehe...

Posted on: 2008/5/3 18:36

Deleted_
Quote:

Philip wrote:
Hmmmm,

Native Americans gobbled nuts, dried meats. Eskimos gobble blubber and seal meat with very littel ingestion of vegetable matter. I eat a western diet consisting of meat, veggies and grains. Medievals ate bread with everything in it. I have lived longer tha most medievals. My G-Grand father had a diet that constisted primarliy of Oklahoma fat saturated foods. His dietician in the old folks home said he needed to cut back on his bacon and eggs in the morning. Unfortunatly he didn't and died at a 106 years of age. I don't think the tabacco could be considered a raw food, but I may be wrong.
Maybe a diet that is comfortable, well rounded, nutrient diverse and in smaller portions could be the only thing you need to do as far as food goes.

you have lived longer than Meievals. Good for you.

Now have you ever heard of such lovely things as penicillin, antibiotics, surgery, diagnostic or preventative medicine? I think these have contributed to your long life more so than your meat gorging diet.

Posted on: 2008/5/4 23:11

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 7 »

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor