Posted on: 2007/4/5 1:33
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Defineing Footwork of each 9 Ryu
Kutaki Postmaster
Group:
村民 :: Villager
henriss88,

What kind of question is that ?

This must be one of the most stupid topics ever on this martial arts forum.

Isnt it better you try to learn the footwork by attending regular training in the Dojo? Do you expect someone to come up with a mathematical formula on how to move your feet ? How exactly are you supposed to transfer knowledge of physical movement in written form, through an internet forum ?

Please, stop it.

Regards / Skuggvarg

P.S: Yeah, I forgot. In Kumogakure Ryu you bend your waist, elbows and knees and put 13 % of the weight on the front leg. Tip around on your toes, move in huge eliptical movements on an angle of approx. 33,5° compared to the antagonists front leg while at the same time tensioning your calf muscles.

Why ? Because it looks damn good!

Posted on: 2007/4/5 5:24

Frequent Visitor
Group:
that is not what i am asking , what i am asking is about the different ryu's foot work and how they are different like the difference between the togaure ryu and gyokko ryu school foot work because i know that it is not the same

Posted on: 2007/4/5 6:37

Cant Stay Offline
From Hamina, Finland
Group:
議長 :: Mod
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
Quote:

henriss88 asked:
dose anyone know how the foot work works in all the ryu and why it was that way

That "anyone" might be Hatsumi-sôke (I take it you meant the Ryû-ha of Bujinkan Dôjô).

On the footwork of any given MA-school/style... I see it as "not what you do, but how you do it" that defines the school/style. This means Kamae, Ma-ai, Sabaki (Ashi, Tai and Te), the whole nine yards.

So, if you take... say Omotegyaku (my favourite pick for example when I talk about this )... even though the overall result is the same on Uke's part (falling on his back, arm hurting), the things Tori used to get Uke there.... different things in different schools, different strokes for different folkes.

My 0.02 euros.

Posted on: 2007/4/5 6:43
(Bujinkan Budōka since 1985)

Frequent Visitor
Group:
but didnt some schools contribute to difrent parts of the kihon happo

Posted on: 2007/4/5 7:09

Permanent Village Fixture
From Centerville, Ohio
Group:
Everyone here knows exactly what you're trying to ask. It's a ridiculous question because anyone who has trained for more than three months knows that it's a little more complicated than any simple definition can hold.

Koto Ryu is linear. Gyokko Ryu is circular. Togakure Ryu has very long footwork.

This doesn't tell you ANYTHING.

There are people on here who could give an excellent essay on the footwork of each ryu but it wouldn't mean anything to a person who hasn't trained as much as they have. No matter how many times you read "The art of War," "On War," and "A Book of Five Rings," text does not translate to physical ability or even necessarily to conceptual understanding. The best way to get the information you're looking for on a level that is appropriate to you, is to ask your instructor.

I'll make you a guarantee on this forum: If you come up with a well thought out, intelligent, polite question, you will get a well thought out, intelligent, polite answer. The original question had none of these attributes.

Posted on: 2007/4/5 7:34

Deleted_
Shinoobie, that answer was helpful, how about the other ryu's footwork;? Takagi Yoshin Ryu, Shinden Fudo Ryu, Gikan Ryu, Kumogakure Ryu, Gyokushin Ryu, Kukishinden Ryu. Just a general/brief description.
Thank You.

Posted on: 2007/4/5 7:49

Permanent Village Fixture
From Austin,TX
Group:
I would say that general and simple concepts are the signposts that keep you close to the core of whatever art you are practicing.

"Koto ryu is linear."

Yes, it is true that this by itself does not say much about the art. I, however, believe that there might be more important concepts which determine this feeling of linearness

HYPOTHETICAL EXAMPLE(I'M NOT CLAIMING THIS IS TRUE!)
Perhaps the koto ryu sprung from and was used in a very mountainous region, where trails were very narrow and combat HAD to be conducted in short small lines(as a result of the decreased amount of space available from the rough terrain). This would obviously impact the footwork that the school trained in most regularly.

Knowledge about this aspect of Koto Ryu would allow one various insights into various aspects of Koto Ryu training that are perhaps not covered inside of the modern dojo, for one reason or another. It would probably be an aid, not a detriment, to one's training.
END OF HYPOTHETICAL EXAMPLE

I've been told "Keep it simple, studid!"

I like to think that complex things are really just natural extrapolations on simple things.

ON A SEPARATE NOTE:

I fail to see how the initial question was stupid or deficient in some way.

Posted on: 2007/4/5 8:03

Please be careful not to have preconceptions, and to always remember the idea of truth-and-falsehood.
-- Hatsum

Deleted_
Noname, thank you for the reply, I agree w/ you.

To my knowledge Takagi Yoshin Ryu footwork is shorter than most,almost choppy I would say. Often w/ very sudden positioning. From what I know of the Ryu, it was primarily a bodygaurding art in that it was used primarily indoors, which would explain the need for the shorter footwork, as Japanese interiors are pretty small not allowing for large or wide movements and positioning. I work offshore and many of the living quarters and galley areas are very tight. I tend to get more of a feel for this Ryu's principles when I am here. It is almost as if I FEEL the logic of this Ryu when I am in a setting that is condusive to it.

Thank you for your sincerity. -Chris

Posted on: 2007/4/5 8:20

Village Old Timer
Group:
議長 :: Mod
I would think that without intensive training in any of the ryuha with a qualified teacher (menkyo kaiden, etc) that most of us aren't in a position to offer an opinion of the footwork from specific ryu. I have read on the intenet/heard in seminars, things like "gyokko ryu is circular/koto ryu is linear, etc" and upon moving here (Japan) and training with a teacher who knows the differences, I have found that most of the ideas I arrived with had to be discarded.

Posted on: 2007/4/5 8:36

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 13 »

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor