Dpinga

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

Re: A nice account of wisdom
Village Old Timer
From Dayton, Ohio
Group:
村民 :: Villager
I don't mean this as a criticism, but more a reflection. I remember Soke chastizing someone at hombu for trying to understand something too much. He explained that you will understand it when you do it. Too much analysis or study of something can blind you to the real meaning or secret of some things. Sort of a paralysis of analysis.

Many things such as Wisdom can be studied, but real understanding comes from experience and time.

Marty

Posted on: 2007/5/22 18:56
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Cant Stay Offline
From Pennsylvania, USA
Group:
議長 :: Mod
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
I have always thought that it was important to define just what certain concepts mean to you as an individual. For example I have defined for me the concept of "Honor" as how well I live up to the standards I set for myself ---- with one other requirement, those standards must be "life" supporting standards. So when we get into the "meaning" of life and the concept of "Wisdom" we again must define that first for ourselves and hopefully there will be a broad enough agreement on that definition to permit some mutual acceptance or consensus. I think it is impossible to have meaning in life without the consideration of other people and their well-being. A life that is totally "self-centered" is one IMO of no meaning. When it is ended it has given nothing to the continuing flow of life, it was a life just wasted and an opportunity missed. Community is an important concept especially in this context of "meaning". Working for the "common good" does not negate seeking things of value for yourself, but such seeking is always done with the consideration of other people and a fair exchange, (as defined by the individuals involved) of their resources. So much in Life is attitudinal and the energy of your thoughts, and what that energy creates. It is critical (again in my opinion) that one pay close attention to both their thoughts and the words that are used to express those thoughts as this is creative energy. You will be creating in line with the type of energy you send out by thought and words.

Posted on: 2007/5/22 20:42

Cant Stay Offline
From Pennsylvania, USA
Group:
議長 :: Mod
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
You did ask an important question Rob, about how "budo" fits into a meaningful life, etc. Well I can only give you my take on this, but here it is. Budo permits you to be self directed, not controlled or coerced by others. Budo gives you the power to say "no" and make it stick! It therefore is central to you, you decide how to direct your thought energy and what you create with that. Probably the most distructive thing for us is operating and living our lives based on fear. Fear will stop you from doing what you know to be right and what you really want to do. The power of "budo" means you no longer let that destructive fear direct you so you CAN live a life of meaning.

Posted on: 2007/5/22 20:52

Just Passing Through
Group:
In my opinion ONE aspect of wisdom is

'the knowledge of how to use your knowledge properly'

Take the fox and cat story for example, the cat was wise in using his knowledge to climb the tree, while the fox was not so wise as to not use his knowledge to escape the dogs.

But, in a different situation without a tree, a wise cat would run to a tree, use a boulder, a steep hill side or any other similar object. That is wisdom too. To be able to use what you know in one context in another context.

Wisdom is also to know when you cannot carry over your knowledge in one field into another field. Compare with the knowledgable politicians, who believe they know more than they do (a treat which seems to be so very common among politicians)

Knowledge, in comparison to wisdom, may be attained by hard studies. But no amount of hard studies, without either reflection or experience, would let you actually use what you have learned.

Wisdom is also to think the appropriate number of steps ahead. It is most often more than just one step (like not throwing yourself into a shallow pool) but nor should one
think too much, which would make you get lost in your own thougths (like the fox).

Appropriate use of your knowledge, that I think is one key to wisdom.

Posted on: 2007/5/22 22:50
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Villager
From Greenville, MI
Group:
"paralysis of analysis"
I like this one.

Posted on: 2007/5/23 1:02

Kutaki Postmaster
From 埼玉県、春日部市、日本
Group:
Quote:
"And, please don't tell me that you do Chi no Kata with the feeling of the Earth."

You don't?...LOL
Do you do chi no kata with different falvours? ( oh wait, you don't eat chi no kata so how can you taste it?)
Don't you change the feeling of the technique? Do you do the same chi no kata in different ways?

Yes there are different "flavors" of Chi no kata. But, no I don't do any of the Sanshin or Go gyo with any feeling of an element. I focus just on the kukan.
But moving on...

Meanings of names do not for the most part have anything to do with the objects they refer.

The meaning of a proper name(non- logical use of proper) has nothing to do with the object. Ogawa is a common name in Japan it means big river, ok how is that understanding the personality of a person. ( In a non-wacko way)

The names of techniques although I often forget the names have more to do with how the techniques look than anything else. Ichimonji (a number one in japanese) Jumonji (number ten) you get the picture.

You can look as deep as you want, just be careful not to trick yourself into believing something false or strange as a result. You might get lucky or you could believe something false? Good luck.

Quote:
You did ask an important question Rob, about how "budo" fits into a meaningful life, etc. Well I can only give you my take on this, but here it is. Budo permits you to be self directed, not controlled or coerced by others. Budo gives you the power to say "no" and make it stick! It therefore is central to you, you decide how to direct your thought energy and what you create with that. Probably the most distructive thing for us is operating and living our lives based on fear. Fear will stop you from doing what you know to be right and what you really want to do. The power of "budo" means you no longer let that destructive fear direct you so you CAN live a life of meaning.

I generally agree, although the way I word it are a little different. I think Budo allows for a meaningful life by giving us a complete freedom from all those things you have mentioned. A life without limitations a fully examined life of self-creation without the worry about what one is becoming - total freedom.

Great post Ed.

Posted on: 2007/5/23 11:27

Villager
From Greenville, MI
Group:
"Ogawa is a common name in Japan it means big river, ok how is that understanding the personality of a person"

Big river could = over-flowing spirit, flowing with love like a big river, etc...depends largely on the frame of reference. Some names of techniques are based on what they look like, others have more to do with the feeling of the technique, then how they look. You only look at the kukan?
so sometimes you don't do it with aggresiveness, passiveness, or other feelings? You are always non-attached?
How about joy, or fun? you don't play when you do a technique? Sounds like a dull way to train. But what ever gets the results you desire I guess. I suppose you are not a fan of abstract/modern art either. To each there own.
Good discussion though.
I don't consider any of this as wacko...I find it a heathy use of non-linear thinking.

Posted on: 2007/5/23 14:33

Kutaki Postmaster
From 埼玉県、春日部市、日本
Group:
The meaning of the name Ogawa has nothing to do with the person no matter what way you look at it. It is just a name, it doesn't reveal the personality of the person it merely refers to that person. In other words the meaning is meaningless...

Names of techniques are a little better but only refer, and they are just as meaningless - yes meaningless - whatever you try to squeeze out of them as far as some "truth" will most likely be false. The name is just a name, please be careful not mystify the language, too.

Just because you make something sound like Yoda doesn't me you are wise or knowledgeable.

I only look at the kukan, I play in the kukan, I don't need false meanings or extra names to play in the sand box of kukan. (There is more to kukan than people think... But I am not going to even begin talking about that over an internet forum beyond this general statement.)

I actually am a fan of abstract and modern art. And I love jazz and angular music, as well as the blues. I like Dali, Picasso, and Mori.

It's kind of funny how quite a few people assume my tastes based on my philosophy, hmmmm hasn't this taught people that maybe they can't trust what they believe, or that they have many more false beliefs then they thought ( although some people ought to doubt what they believe but merely don't - this distinction of ought is debatable).

Trust me I understand what you are saying, I just don't agree. Sometimes the surface to something is all there is, or sometimes objects are mere facades trying to discover something deeper, and you might be talking about nothing.

But at least we are all thinking... thats a good thing.

Posted on: 2007/5/23 17:20

Kutaki Postmaster
From 埼玉県、春日部市、日本
Group:
Quote:
Just because you make something sound like Yoda doesn't me you are wise or knowledgeable.

I meant to say that : It doesn't mean that you or me are wise or have knowledge. Sorry...

Quote:
Appropriate use of your knowledge, that I think is one key to wisdom.

What is appropriate use of knowledge? Again just a gadfly question this way we all can have a discussion rather then me fighting with special jargon.

And what kind of knowledge is properly used?

--Is there any way to change the input font, so I can read it a little better.--

By the way Ogawa 小川 doesn't have anything to to with spirit, it can't mean spirit in this world , in bizarro land it could... And this Ogawa means small river . 大川 means big river, but these are only names, there is nothing attached to these kanji beyond what is attached to them, do not look to deep into names.

What does 大川 or 小川 have to do with this or that guy or girl beyond being thier names. --- NOTHING----- WHAT----SO-----EVER!!! It is cool to talk about names having meanings and is kind of neat and all, but in the end it merely refers, now you can choose a name that has meaning to you but that is something different.

Posted on: 2007/5/23 17:56

Villager
From Greenville, MI
Group:
"There is more to kukan than people think"
seems like a contradiction to me....there are no deeper meanings, labels are just labels and are meaningless.
Then why do Japanese change their names when they get older...how bout the tradition of warrior names...Why give have names at all?
there is no kukan. Is yellow really yellow? Or is it yellow because thats what someone told you?
When you look at an abstract painting what do you see? Why do you like it? Do you see something in the expression or is it just a collection of blended colors and shapes? Its Ok if we don't ever agree, but I am curious what you get out of one non-linear expression that you don't from another. As an artist, I am used to approaching things from a different angle than the average person. I am not insane, but I do admit to being on the eccentric side.
Don't you think the name ogawa big/small river comes from something? Probably the area they were born had a river big or small or the town was named because of the river and the child recieved the name because of that. When I name a pet, I name them based on personality. You think that it is wacko? Meaning is meaning. life doesn't require consensus to have meaning. Really, niether does wisdom. You could be the one wise person in a sea of dolts, wwould you be less wise because nobody else could understand?

Posted on: 2007/5/23 21:20

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor