Active Kutakian
From Vancouver, WA
Group:
村民 :: Villager
Quote:

JamesGarcia wrote:
Quote:

Philip wrote:

Native Americans gobbled nuts, dried meats.

We did??? I am Mescalero Apache and didn't know that... I thought the meat was salted and as a result dried... This enabled to meat to keep and not turn, so to make it last...

I understand the generalizations, and remember Mr Jack Hoban as being the first to introduce the idea of culture and climate influencing food... I don't agree with most of it, but I do understand the basic theory...

James, I'm slightly confused. You attack my generalization with a support of what I said and then claim I know nothing. Yes I was being general. I was hoping for something constructive, not to be projected on. Wikipedia, If I sighted wikipedia as source, I wouldn't have a job, so I'll be more detailed in the future and I'll apologies for the generalities. http://arjournals.annualreviews.org/d ... 032702.131011?cookieSet=1 this is a good sight for the study, though.

Boggs, you no absolutly nothing about my diet or my medical past so shut up. I eat organic, my folks were Science Christian so medicine wasn't a huge thing in our house, though I use it now. What was the attack about? I suggested that a normal diet should suffice, and yes help with a long life. Did it press buttons? I re-read it and didn't seem to think it was all that inflammitory. In fact it isn't all that different from Ed's.

Posted on: 2008/5/5 1:56

"But if you have someone who is in great need and you are still stron
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Bwahaha...
Active Kutakian
From Vancouver, WA
Group:
Wow,
My allergy mes are taking hold hard. I meant Christian Science.
Phil

Posted on: 2008/5/5 4:29

Hehehe...
Permanent Village Fixture
From Dallas, TX
Group:
I claimed you knew nothing?

I was making a joke because we "Native Americans" eat a lot of cooked as well as raw meat...

Dude... eat some carbs... hehe

Oh yeah, and that link didn't work when I tried it.

Posted on: 2008/5/5 10:23

Re: Soke's Diet
Active Kutakian
Group:
Quote:

Kasumi wrote:
From The Way of the Ninja
Quote:
Having a healthy everyday diet is still the foundation on which one should build the kind of body which will help one's Taijutsu (to) grow. Above all, I recommend eating plenty of vegetables. The ninja kihon happo diet consists of brown rice, tofu, sesame, miso soup, no salt, no sugar, uncooked food and colored vegetables.

Hatsumi is not a dietician but a part of the Kukishinden is the medical practice of Amatsu Tatara Hichi Buku Goshinjutsu of which he is soke. The diet outlined by him in many of his books comes form there.

It also has a martial application in that the belief that eating food with “no taste and no smell” heightens the senses.

Hatsumi outlines his own diet of the time in the book Togakure Ryu Ninpo Taijutsu based on this diet in the 1970s. I saw him eating lunch on three occasions more recently and he obviously wasn’t following this diet but was eating what I would consider food for a normal Japanese person, like Tendon. He address this in the book “Advanced Stick Fighting” in which he talks about having a very high blood sugar level and having to return to a “ninja diet”. I don’t know if he currently practices this or not.

For the most part the diet is a common sense diet or wholemeal foods, plenty of vegetables, low salt and sugar etc with the addition of more plant protein in the soy beans in tofu, miso etc.

I tried the diet three years ago. For breakfast I would eat brown rice, sesame, natto, miso soup with tofu and spring onion also I added a glass of low fat milk. For lunch I would eat raw vegetables with a drizzle of good quality olive oil and balsamic vinegar (this helps digestion of raw vegetables greatly) and miso soup with tofu from a thermos plus brown rice and sesame seeds. For snacks I would eat fruit and for dinner I would eat anything.

I found the diet had very similar results as noted by Mr Sanders but I did drop out of it after about eight months. The problem I found was the preparation time in gathering good quality ingredients and preparation became a bit of a strain on my time, was becoming too bland after an extended period of time. But maybe I will return to it again sometime.

Of course before any dramatic change in your own diet you should consult a dietician and/or doctor if possible. Most important I think is to use common sense and listen to your own body. If you have trouble digesting certain foods or feel run down then change. Also food should taste good. If you diet is unappetizing then you won’t stick with it.

Posted on: 2008/5/5 12:00

[i]"One should be neither strong nor weak, neither soft nor hard. Leave such thoughts behind, awaken

Re: Bwahaha...
Active Kutakian
From Vancouver, WA
Group:
Quote:

JamesGarcia wrote:
[quote]

I was hoping for this thread to be about Hatsumi Sensei's habits as seen first hand from people that have had the pleasure to have broken bread with him... Not just anyone's theories on diet from a quick google search or a wikipedia entry as a source...

Perhaps "shut up and listen... don't post unless you know somthing" should be a new admonition... hehe...

Well just a couple of times:)

I'll eat more carbs.

Posted on: 2008/5/6 0:33

Frequent Visitor
Group:
Exercise people!

Alex Valhuerdi

Posted on: 2008/5/6 4:09

Active Kutakian
From Vancouver, WA
Group:
Quote:

Kasumi wrote:

Hatsumi is not a dietician but a part of the Kukishinden is the medical practice of Amatsu Tatara Hichi Buku Goshinjutsu of which he is soke. The diet outlined by him in many of his books comes form there.

It also has a martial application in that the belief that eating food with “no taste and no smell” heightens the senses.

Interesting!
I have some exposure to combat vets and get some of their insights on a near daily basis. A friend of mine said that they ate all the indigenious foods they could in order not to smell out of place when they sweat in the field. Certain foods smelled out of place. Sounds, er, sound. And it is good martial application, too.

Phil

Posted on: 2008/5/6 8:14

Permanent Village Fixture
From No. Cal., USA
Group:
Mr. Boggs,
Quote:

LB wrote:
Now have you ever heard of such lovely things as penicillin, antibiotics, surgery, diagnostic or preventative medicine? I think these have contributed to your long life more so than your meat gorging diet.

Everyone knows that the single greatest contributor to an increased human life-span is a clean water supply. Modern medicine is a distant third.

Sorry docs (public health rules!) so suck it.

Besides, how can you be sure that the guy you are arguing with has ever benefitted from therapeutic interventions like the ones you mentioned? And, if he's only 25 years old or so, you can't really say that anything contributed to his long life since he ain't got one.

Dig it?
I knew you could.

Posted on: 2008/5/6 13:43

Active Kutakian
Group:
Quote:

petelohstroh wrote:
Mr. Boggs,
Quote:

LB wrote:
Now have you ever heard of such lovely things as penicillin, antibiotics, surgery, diagnostic or preventative medicine? I think these have contributed to your long life more so than your meat gorging diet.

Everyone knows that the single greatest contributor to an increased human life-span is a clean water supply. Modern medicine is a distant third.

Sorry docs (public health rules!) so suck it.

Besides, how can you be sure that the guy you are arguing with has ever benefitted from therapeutic interventions like the ones you mentioned? And, if he's only 25 years old or so, you can't really say that anything contributed to his long life since he ain't got one.

Dig it?
I knew you could.

Diet?

Pete, I would suggest to keep the threads in kutaki more lean and healthy we stop feeding the troll?

Posted on: 2008/5/6 14:09

[i]"One should be neither strong nor weak, neither soft nor hard. Leave such thoughts behind, awaken

Deleted_
Quote:

Diet?

Pete, I would suggest to keep the threads in kutaki more lean and healthy we stop feeding the troll?

[/quote]

It's interesting that you call me a troll, when you are the one who replies to threads with ZERO information about the subject at hand.

While it's fine to disagree with me if you like, I'm at least replying to the subject at hand.

So little boy, why don't you find yourself a nice little bridge to hide under and you can accost passers bye for change or something.

Quote:

And you get clean water supplies by dumping tons of chemicals in the stuff.

Chemicals, drugs and plastic extend our life beyond that of our ancestors, not cooking food on a rock that a bird crapped on...

Posted on: 2008/5/6 22:16

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 »

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor