Socialize

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 »

Re: Buji Rules?
Honorary Villager
From Saint Louis
Group:
村民 :: Villager
In regards to Tai Chi, any reputable teacher (Sifu) should be able to tell you exactly where he/she fits into the style's linage. Be wary of anyone who claims to be close to the "source" if they cannot specifically explain where they fit into the linage of the style you are studying. Also, the Chen style is the source of all Tai Chi, not that there's anything wrong with the other styles.

Vince Wilkins

Posted on: 2008/12/25 13:02

Village Old Timer
From San Francisco, California, USA
Group:
Quote:

1. How can you tell who is the real "main-stream" without extensive, multi-faceted experience?

Seems like sort of a no-brainer with Takamatsu sensei having designated Hatsumi soke as his successor and with Hatsumi still actively teaching and not having designated his own successor.

Am I missing something here?

Of course there are also guys like this one out there who just don't care as long as they can sell their books and DVDs:

<<Tired of following modern martial arts, the young Oldham warrior decided to go on a journey of self-discovery to the Far East to study Ninjutsu – the ancient strategy and tactics of warfare practised by the Shinobi, or Ninja.

There, he was taught by two teachers; rival graduates from a school who both claim the title of ‘grand master’.

Now, 30-year-old Anthony – the borough’s only true Ninja – has returned to his homeland to pass on his expertise in the form of a book and DVD. . .

. . .After studying ancient history and archaeology at university, Anthony moved to Japan to train, firstly, under Masaaki Hatsumi, the 34th in an unbroken line of Samurai and Ninja Grandmasters dating back over 900 years, and then later with his rival Shoto Tanemura.

Anthony admits in Japan it is forbidden by both grand masters to train with the other, but he was driven to learn as much about ninjutsu as possible.

Now Anthony has written a book, ‘To Stand on a Stone : 50 Fundamental Principles of Martial Arts’, which focuses on body dynamics and the movement of martial arts. He has also recorded a DVD to compliment the book, segments of which appear on the internet site ‘YouTube’.>>

http://www.oldhamadvertiser.co.uk/new ... s_one_of_the_warrior_race

Posted on: 2008/12/25 17:51

Permanent Village Fixture
From Austin,TX
Group:
Quote:

VWilkins wrote:
In regards to Tai Chi, any reputable teacher (Sifu) should be able to tell you exactly where he/she fits into the style's linage. Be wary of anyone who claims to be close to the "source" if they cannot specifically explain where they fit into the linage of the style you are studying.

So, proving one's lineage is important?

My uncertainty has everything to do with my own failure to remember what my teacher has told me on at least 3 separate occasions, not the fact that my teacher is "unsure." What I can remember is that the mainstream Yang lineage (through Yang Cheng-fu) is not my teacher's lineage. I believe his lineage goes through Yang-ban Hou( Yang Cheng-fu's uncle).

Quote:

VWilkins wrote:
Also, the Chen style is the source of all Tai Chi, not that there's anything wrong with the other styles.

Yup.

p.s. I think people can tell how bored I am right now.

Posted on: 2008/12/25 17:59

Please be careful not to have preconceptions, and to always remember the idea of truth-and-falsehood.
-- Hatsum
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Honorary Villager
From Saint Louis
Group:
Yes, a verifiable linage is important if one wants to invest time and effort studing internal martial arts. In my opinion, it's important in the study of any art, but to each their own.

Vince Wilkins

Posted on: 2008/12/26 1:56

From Austin,TX
Group:
Quote:

dseago wrote:
Quote:

1. How can you tell who is the real "main-stream" without extensive, multi-faceted experience?

Seems like sort of a no-brainer with Takamatsu sensei having designated Hatsumi soke as his successor and with Hatsumi still actively teaching and not having designated his own successor.

Am I missing something here?

please refer to point # 2:
I think it would be disrespectful to the "main-stream" to take it for granted that it is the "main-steam." I don't think Hatsumi sensei wants automatons.

and, is he still teaching at the level of most of the Bujinkan?

Quote:

Of course there are also guys like this one out there who just don't care as long as they can sell their books and DVDs:

Yup. There are people like that in any discipline.

I took a look at his video demos on youtube.....yes, I too can do things to people if they let me......

just to be clear, I'm suggesting that "Demonstrations" (presumably of "skill") should involve uke trying to beat up tori......not uke just standing there like an.......

Quote:

VWilkins wrote:

Yes, a verifiable linage is important if one wants to invest time and effort studing internal martial arts. In my opinion, it's important in the study of any art, but to each their own.

Vince Wilkins

Out of curiosity, which internal art/s do you study?

Posted on: 2008/12/26 18:54

Please be careful not to have preconceptions, and to always remember the idea of truth-and-falsehood.
-- Hatsum

Active Kutakian
From Heckmondwike, West Yorkshire, England
Group:
Quote"Of course there are also guys like this one out there who just don't care as long as they can sell their books and DVDs:

<<Tired of following modern martial arts, the young Oldham warrior decided to go on a journey of self-discovery to the Far East to study Ninjutsu – the ancient strategy and tactics of warfare practised by the Shinobi, or Ninja.

There, he was taught by two teachers; rival graduates from a school who both claim the title of ‘grand master’.

Now, 30-year-old Anthony – the borough’s only true Ninja – has returned to his homeland to pass on his expertise in the form of a book and DVD. . .

. . .After studying ancient history and archaeology at university, Anthony moved to Japan to train, firstly, under Masaaki Hatsumi, the 34th in an unbroken line of Samurai and Ninja Grandmasters dating back over 900 years, and then later with his rival Shoto Tanemura.

Anthony admits in Japan it is forbidden by both grand masters to train with the other, but he was driven to learn as much about ninjutsu as possible.

Now Anthony has written a book, ‘To Stand on a Stone : 50 Fundamental Principles of Martial Arts’, which focuses on body dynamics and the movement of martial arts. He has also recorded a DVD to compliment the book, segments of which appear on the internet site ‘YouTube’"Unquote.

Dale, i'm sorry to say this guy is British!

Posted on: 2008/12/26 19:29

Marche ou Creve!...

Don`t raise your voice, raise your argument!

www.bujinkan-huddersfield.co uk

From Austin,TX
Group:
Could someone refresh my memory as to which Ryu-ha Takamatsu sensei's father had a license in? (I'm thinking it was a Takagi Yoshin ryu-ha)

Posted on: 2008/12/28 17:48

-- Hatsum

Cant Stay Offline
From Hamina, Finland
Group:
議長 :: Mod
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
Quote:

noname wrote:
Could someone refresh my memory as to which Ryu-ha Takamatsu sensei's father had a license in? (I'm thinking it was a Takagi Yoshin ryu-ha)

Mmh, might that make it hearsay?

Posted on: 2008/12/28 22:51
(Bujinkan Budōka since 1985)

From Austin,TX
Group:
If it can't be validated, then yes......just like anything else.

Posted on: 2008/12/29 1:53

-- Hatsum

Kutaki Postmaster
Group:
Well Im not sure but there is a mention of "license" in Kukishin and Takagi Ryu for a Takamatsu Yoshikichi in Serge Mol's book "Classical Fighting Arts of Japan" page 200. Yoshikichi got the license from Ishitani Takeo so it should be the Hontai Takagi Yoshin Ryu.

Regards / Skuggvarg

Posted on: 2008/12/29 3:47

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 »

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor