« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8) 9 »

Re: New book by Soke - Unarmed fighting techniques of the Samurai
Permanent Village Fixture
From Cupertino, CA
Group:
村民 :: Villager
Quote:

Erizabesu wrote:
I was rather surprised to find a copy at the Shinjuku west Kinokuniya bookstore.

Just curious: in Japan, is this book published with the Japanese text in the main part and English at the end of the book?

Quote:

I love the opening paragraph about Bufu. That made my year! With every volume that sensei writes, warrior ways find their roots deeper in antiquity and are expressed more clearly as a universal principle.

This paragraph, or maybe the first tow chapters, really, made me watch again "The Origins of Budo" during my self-training. An while reading through the chapters of the book I can see in a bit clearer way the thread that is going through the themes of the years and the contents of subsequent DKMS....

mn

Posted on: 2008/7/26 6:10
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Frequent Visitor
From Cleves, OH
Group:
I was just curious as to what many of you think about Soke's leaving out 3 of the 9 lineages in this book. As far as I can tell there is no mention of the 3 following schools: Gikan Ryu Koppojutsu; Gyokushin Ninjutsu; Kumogakure Ryu Ninjutsu. Maybe we might see another disappearing act similar to Fujita Seiko's Wada-ha?

(The above is purely speculative, and if it is not welcome or rude in a manner I am not aware, moderators feel free to edit/delete as necessary.)

Posted on: 2008/7/27 1:31

Patrick McCorkhill

Villager
Group:
Quote:

Tudor wrote:
I was just curious as to what many of you think about Soke's leaving out 3 of the 9 lineages in this book. As far as I can tell there is no mention of the 3 following schools: Gikan Ryu Koppojutsu; Gyokushin Ninjutsu; Kumogakure Ryu Ninjutsu. Maybe we might see another disappearing act similar to Fujita Seiko's Wada-ha?

I think it's entirely possible. Let's face it, how many of us think we've done well enough with the 6 ryu-ha we've got so far and can handle a few more? He may think the world isn't ready for those 3, and just let them die off.

Or he may have decided to handle those ryu totally ninja-like and entrusted them to someone who will keep them secret. :)

2 main thots: it's his ryu, I'm happy with what he's opened up to the world so far, so I've got no complaints.

2nd: I get enough motivation for training just by looking at what he's already shown. I still don't think I've truly understood Gyokko Ryu and Koto ryu. I might freak out if the mystery 3 are officially part of the syllabus and grading requirements! :)

Junjie

Posted on: 2008/7/27 3:20

Village Old Timer
From Matsudo City, Chiba, Japan
Group:
Mariusz,

About the editions, go see www.kodansha-intl.com

That's it. Only one edition. Just like Soke

Posted on: 2008/7/27 14:27

Cant Stay Offline
From Hamina, Finland
Group:
議長 :: Mod
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
Quote:

shunketsu wrote:
I might freak out if the mystery 3 are officially part of the syllabus and grading requirements! :)

Syllabus and grading requirements... officially? What might you be meaning?

Posted on: 2008/7/27 16:34
(Bujinkan Budōka since 1985)

Villager
Group:
Quote:

Ôari wrote:

Correct me if I am wrong - I get the impression that Soke's deliberate decision to not impose and enforce a fixed syllabus is to help prevent us from missing the wood for the trees.

If he ever DID decide to order us to follow something based on the 6 revealed ryu, we already have enough to occupy me for a few lifetimes or so.

So I cannot imagine another 3 more ryu revealed in lurid explicit detail. Much less if we actually had to understand them to grasp Soke's art.

disclaimer: the above is MY opinion, garnered from reading Kutaki for years and talking with my shidoshi. I have not yet trained in Japan, either with Soke or the Japanese shihan, and so gauge the worth of my opinion based on that... :)

Junjie

Posted on: 2008/7/27 23:47

Village Old Timer
From Istanbul Turkiye
Group:
I only remember Soke a few times talked about Gyokushin Ryu and Kumogakure Ryu. Maybe these arts only had a few differences other than Togakure Ryu (in fighting). When you think about Ninjutsu, it is some fighting but much more other stuff . I believe that the new generation (like me) in Bujinkan could not see much of Ninjutsu and I can understand that with the popularazation of Bujinkan. I never seen Soke teaching us to climb with a Shuko or Ninja aruki but I know he did before.
A few glimpses of Kumogakure and Gyokushin Ryu Kamaees and fighting styles can be found in ''koppojutsu '' DVD of Soke.

Posted on: 2008/7/27 23:58
-----------------------------------------

Just Passing Through
From Los Angeles, CA
Group:
I was told that the 3 other ryu were very similar to Gyokko, Koto and Togakure Ryu. The differences were Kamae and a few of the Ken.

Is this correct?

Posted on: 2008/7/28 4:24
www.thirdechelonpi.com
Los Angeles, Atlanta & Wiesbaden/Frankfurt Germany

Jissen Kobudo Nikyu Student

Permanent Village Fixture
From Cupertino, CA
Group:
Quote:

Ôari wrote:

c'mon ...
we discussed this in another thread recently: page 20 of the book (at the bottom) provides very clear requirements: you need 30 points to get a passing grade as a budoka. My feeling is that it will not get any clearer than that ! hahaha !

peace
mn

Posted on: 2008/7/28 9:07

Village Old Timer
From Istanbul Turkiye
Group:
Quote:

West La Ninja wrote:
I was told that the 3 other ryu were very similar to Gyokko, Koto and Togakure Ryu. The differences were Kamae and a few of the Ken.

Is this correct?

Gyokko and Koto Ryus are fighting systems and are widely used in Togakure Ryu Ninjutsu so we can say that they are inside Togakure Ryu Ninjutsu. Ninjas used to train the best martial arts of the era they lived and they adjusted them to their own use.
I know very similar to what you know about the Kamaes and kens like the use of Hira no Kamae and kuji hand kind of stances of kumogakure and Gyokushin Ryus. This goes about the Taijutsu of the 3 Ryus.
This is what I know , nothing much nut I am sure someone here knows better

Posted on: 2008/7/28 20:38
-----------------------------------------

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8) 9 »

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor