Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 »

Place to buy a katana and ninjutsu equipment
Active Kutakian
From Quebec,Canada
Group:
村民 :: Villager
Do anyone have a great website ?
For katana bugei.com seem nice, but it's alot expensive.

Posted on: 2004/6/4 13:24
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Place to buy a katana and ninjutsu equipment
Permanent Village Fixture
From Cleveland, Ohio USA
Group:
It costs lots of money to be a ninja!

Posted on: 2004/6/4 13:26

Active Kutakian
From Quebec,Canada
Group:
Tsss original ninjas used to make the equipement they use, people are lazy ;]

Posted on: 2004/6/4 14:44

Active Kutakian
From Romania
Group:
Hello, ninpokas

I got my katana from Rick's Swordstore.com place, and it is a very fine piece (custom manufactured in Japan). Altough the price starts from $350, you can get a very good quality if you want to have a practice iaito. For a shinken, you should expect yourself to prices starting from $1000.

However, there are plenty of places on the internet where you can deal fro a katana (I mean authentic katanas, not china-turko-spanish-Idontknowwhatelse):
- http://www.e-bogu.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=59 (starting from $220)
- http://www.eurobogu.net/
- http://www.ninecircles.co.uk/
- http://japanesesword.net/eng/iaito/itb1.html
- http://www.jidai.jp/shop_Iaito.html
- http://tozando.com/eng/iaido/iaito.html

I cant recommend you any of these, I've simply chosen Rick's store and I am very satisfyed with it, so I am now able to strongly recommend it to anyone. Also, my advice is to try as much as possible to deal directly with a japanese producer/dealers, and to try to inform yourself very well about the sword you want to buy (there are plenty of forums and dedicated sites on the internet about this subject).

Well, good luck on your quest!
Catas

Posted on: 2004/6/4 17:16

Deleted_
In Japan you can buy a nice Iaito for around 20.000 yen, nothing special, just a good practice katana in any kendo shop..

The prices I heared sometimes from people who want to buy a first katana are funny...

Just practice with something for starters,

a shinken katana "some dating back to many hundreds years ago" can be picked up later and even those with papers start at around 250.000 yen!

Posted on: 2004/6/4 21:03

Deleted_
Try a google search or two I am sure you will find more places to spend money than you have money to spend . or like you said make your own Training gear.Some good lessons to be learned in making your own training equipment.

Posted on: 2004/6/4 21:13

Kutaki Postmaster
From Wyoming
Group:
Paul Chen's Hanwei line has what appears to be a very nice steel iaito or mugito available for as low as $250. It has cotton tsuka ito (wrap) but that can be changed by an industrious person. It also has same (ray skin) wrap on the tsuka and real silver koshirae (fittings).

Given our style of training in the Bujinkan, the carbon steel blunt blade is a good idea. Anybody who has seen an alloy blade fold during clashes can understand the advantages.

For iaido it is great, as the weight will be true, as will the balance. Only top quality iaito usually have this with alloy blades, and you can spend a mint on those.

As most of the Hanwei line has a strong reputation, I would expect this sword is of good solid construction and functionality for non-cutting practice and some clashes during practice.

There are two flavors the Nami and the Goron, the Goron is the nicer one, but it still doesn't come with silk or leather ito. That is the only improvement I would make.

Posted on: 2004/6/5 13:11

Active Kutakian
From Romania
Group:
You are right about the allow blades versus the carbon steel ones, Fnord325 :) After all, this is exactly what every producer or reseller of alloy blades recommends - do not attempts to cut, hit, block or cross it with a different katana :)

My only inquiry about the Hanwei blades is related to the righteous, the fidelity, and the accuracy of the sword properties. I am speaking about balance, weight, tsuka shape and size, the feeling, exactly the kind of things able to affect your skill & technique.

Is anyone owning such a sword and can tell me anything about these similitude or differences when compared with a genuine Japanese katana?

Thanks, Catas

Posted on: 2004/6/6 16:07

Feel of Chen blades
Kutaki Postmaster
From Wyoming
Group:
Oh, no doubt the alloy blades are sufficiently disclaimered. Of course, most everyone here knows that Bujinkan practice is usually an eventual death sentence for iaito.

I have handled the Paul Chen practical katana and a Lion katana (no longer in production). The balance of these blades was quite nice for both iaido and tamishigiri, each user will have slightly different preferences perhaps.

My iaido teacher who has held some of the finest blades ever produced and still in existence (including Miyamoto Musashi's actual sword, for what it is worth) has said that as a practice instrument Paul Chen's blades are absolutely fine. In some cases some of these modern blades may actually out perform some nihonto given the state of modern metallurgy. The Howard Clark L6 katana, for example, is as close to indestructable as you can get in a sword, and the production quality is excellent.

His instructor Yoshikawa sensei was polisher to the imperial family. As such, Craig sensei was afforded the honor of getting to examine some of the blades in the imperial collection.

As far as being nihonto, the Paul Chen blades simply are not. The finish work is not there, the polish, the quality of fittings is not as high as fine nihonto, etc. However, you are talking about price differences that could buy you a very nice vacation, a car, or even a house in some cases!

I suspect the paul chen iaito are as good a quality as the sharpened blades. The hamon is true and the blade differentially tempered, the same is high grade, the tsuba and koshirae are not pot metal, etc. I suspect that these blades may be blanks that for some minor reason did not muster for use in sharpened katana that will be stressed while repeatedly cutting. I could be wrong though. Even still, the quality for an iaito should be excellent. Many people find even well balanced alloy iaito to be a little off.

For a safe practice blade that can stand up to accidents and clashes with the occacional bo/katana work, etc. I don't think there is anything out there that is comparable. Of course, working with even a dull metal blade is very dangerous and should only be done after one has acquired appropriate feeling for the weapons and distances involved. Every once in a while it is interesting to feel what a steel blade feels like against a bo in jodan uke, for example. I am surely not advocating full speed all out practice like this, however.

Hopefully in the next few months I can speak more authoritatively on this, as I plan on ordering two of the gorin iaito (one for the wife).

Posted on: 2004/6/6 17:51

What? Yes...that's how I do that....why...why do you ask?

Unsharpened steel iaito to practice in Bujinkan?
Active Kutakian
From Romania
Group:
Ok, here comes the problem we've spoke in the previous posts: obviously, the alloy blades are not made for Bujinkan training, so the idea is to get a sword that is built as an iaito but from steel, unsharpened.

I perfomed some searches over the internet, what I found as unsharpened steel iaitos are only blades made by Paul Chen (I dont understand why Japan is not producing such thing...). Two of them looks very close to my Nosyuiaido sword (which, by the way, is an wonderful piece), considering the things I can see on a page preview - blade shape and curvature, tsuka lenght and shape, fittings. I am speakign about either a Nami or a Gorin blade, you can see them in several places: http://www.swordsdirect.com/paul-chen-training-swords.html or http://www.mantisswords.com/iaito_katanas.htm.

I am not sure about the real quality of those swords but I think I do have a real and decent perception of what I should espect at that price; I would appreciate anyone's suggestion on this matter. Do you own one of those models, ever used any, are they ok to practice in Bujinkan katas? I dont want to streight the blade on my knees whenever my partner will cross his bo with it :)

Posted on: 2004/12/26 3:03

(1) 2 3 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor