Dpinga

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Nunchaku?
Permanent Village Fixture
From Wales, United Kingdom
Group:
村民 :: Villager
Thanks for your help Mr Ohashi. All sorted now I think!

Here's a brief quote from the book Martial Arts - A Complete Illustrated History by Michael Finn.

"There are several possible theories regarding the origin of nunchaku. One is that it may have derived from an instrument used for crushing beans. A second theory is that it was adapted from the instrument carried by the village night watch, which is made of two blocks of wood joined by cord. The night watch would hit the blocks of wood together to attract people's attention and then warn them about fires and protect their property. It is probable that heavy-duty weapons were made and hung with similar farming instruments so that they were not detected. The nunchaku may or may not have been joined by a chain, but it is unlikely as the Ryukyu Islands had no source of iron ore and most metals were imported. Cord was the most likely way in which they were secured together".

I just thought this would add a little more to the debate.

Posted on: 2004/6/24 0:54

"Ultimately, we must forget technique, but forgetting about technique is not the same as never having learned it."
Hideharu Onuma
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Deleted_
Thanks.

This page has more info (including the owner's own ideas) but it's written in Japanese..... (too long for me to translate instantly.)

FYI, he says that what Bruce Lee used in his movies is NOT a nunchaku.

Posted on: 2004/6/24 1:00

Villager
Group:
Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread. I knew that the folks here are very knowledgeable and would be able to shed light on my query.

Many thanks for sharing all of your information!

~D

Posted on: 2004/6/24 10:45

Kutaki Postmaster
From Adelaide
Group:
Mr Ohashi, if thats isnt a nunchaku then does that page say what is? (I don't read japanese..) I was always told (via movies... bad source of information I guess) that thats what a nunchaku was and that it was okinawan in design along with the tonfa and sai... that being said, it seems alot of so called "okinawan" weapons are actually from china? there seems to be too much misinformation going around as to what weapons are from what country/area... like the moon blades( two semi cricles joined in the middle so one part curves outwards and the other curves inwards to protect the hands alot of gungfu schools use them)

Posted on: 2004/6/24 13:33

Deleted_
Quote:

theunknowndude wrote:
Mr Ohashi, if thats isnt a nunchaku then does that page say what is?

According to the siteowner's idea, it was called 'タバク・トヨク'(tabaku toyoku?).
He says Dan Inosanto did a Kali demonstration with "2 sticks conbined together by a piece of chain", and Bruce liked it.
Then, what was the stuff itself? He says "It is probably from China, or it can be from the Philippines..."

Quote:

I was always told (via movies... bad source of information I guess) that thats what a nunchaku was and that it was okinawan in design along with the tonfa and sai...

The nunchaku is an Okinawan weapon itself, but Bruce Lee was from Hong Kong. So they can be different things even if they look same. This possibility makes the theme more confusing.

Quote:

it seems alot of so called "okinawan" weapons are actually from china?

We have a lot of things that originated from China, but most of them changed more or less. Then you can say simply it is 'from' China?

Quote:

there seems to be too much misinformation going around as to what weapons are from what country/area... like the moon blades( two semi cricles joined in the middle so one part curves outwards and the other curves inwards to protect the hands alot of gungfu schools use them)

Do you mean this?

I think this is Chinese. But, as for simple weapons like the nunchaku, it seems more difficult to tell their birthplace because it must have been easy for creative people to invent such things.

Come to think of it, a famous actor Yasuaki Kurata (he was a good friend of Bruce Lee and was very popular in Hong Kong back then) wrote on a magazine that the nunchaku Bruce used in his movies was a gift from him (Kurata).

(Sorry, I have no reference books here.)

Posted on: 2004/6/24 13:57

Kutaki Postmaster
From Adelaide
Group:
thankyou for that, I didn't want to use a reference incase its seen as slandering a shop... I guess there's going to be a lot of claims for simple weapons, pity we can't just proclaim what markings/specifications it has and judge from that like a lot of guns do nowdays (in general, such as ak47 belonging to russian military, although I guess even guns have gone universal in some instances as more than just the russians would use that weapon)

Posted on: 2004/6/24 23:46

Villager
Group:
Not to get off topic, but the "moon blades" you refer to are definitely Chinese. I've seen them referred to as "deer hook swords" or "deer antler knives" because they resemble antlers (not to me, but ok). I had also read that deer hook swords were specific to the martial art of baguazhang, not gungfu in general, and the only demonstration I've ever seen with them *was* a baguazhang demonstration.

However, if you look at this page:

http://www.gungfu.com/cart-htm/weapon ... e_weapons_traditional.htm

you can see not only deer antler knives, but also that there are many similar-looking gungfu weapons.

Anyway, back to nunchaku.

~D

Posted on: 2004/6/25 2:52

Kutaki Postmaster
From Adelaide
Group:
hmmm true that I haven't seen an actual demonstration in real life of their use (I have no idea how they would be used to tell the truth.... semi like a jutte for catching swords?) once again through the mass media it seems to come under "traditional" which extends to more schools than just those of ba gua (I find that spelling easier to use)... I'll do some more research at home about it... but as you said, back to nunchaku

Posted on: 2004/6/25 14:05

« 1 2 (3)

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor