Socialize

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

Best way to train alone?
Villager
From Missouri
Group:
村民 :: Villager
Should one mainly focus on San Shin no Kata and rolling? When there is no other body to train with? This forum is very good as this is my situation. One of the best ways to train by oneself is to train like Manaka Sensei Trained By just doing the Basic Kihon Happo no variations. Any thoughts?

Posted on: 2004/7/14 14:14

Re: Best way to train alone?
Kutaki Postmaster
From Adelaide
Group:
Hi Tim, (another one?)

do you mean training alone for long periods of time without a teacher or a partner? be hard to practice kihon completely without a partner I think... when I train alone I practice ukemi, sanshin, and meditating in various kamae... *having my eyes closed helps me to feel where my body is in the kamae in relation to straight spine, balance etc* come to think of it guess you can go through kihon movements same as going through san shin movements without a partner... I find visualising when you have a spare moment (like at a bus stop) on kihon etc helps, going over what you practised at your last lessons perhaps? oh and stretching is good I find... when im stretched out I find my body more responsive and my mind more awake just a few cents, keep going!

Posted on: 2004/7/14 16:22

Village Old Timer
From oz
Group:
well if your a kyu grade like tim and i, i would recomend(like you said) sanshin, kihon happo and also basic movement(move heel to toe through the knees, keep head on the same level ie. no bobing) also just bits of things, like the block in kihon, using the whole body not just swinging arms.

also a bit of hanbo or jo.

my 10 yen

dazza

Posted on: 2004/7/14 19:51
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Active Kutakian
From Quebec,Canada
Group:
Use the web to find some schools reference for kyu grade.
They put which book to read too. I made myselft a good reference for solo training. With the help of internet/video, i have alot of information to begin my training. You can also use your gf as Uke ;p
But is solo training dangerous for a person to develop bad habits?

Posted on: 2004/7/14 23:26

Active Kutakian
From 松戸市、日本
Group:
議長 :: Mod
Set up a makiwara and hit it. Hit it in a way that your joints don't hurt, if they hurt, you're damaging yourself and striking inefficiently.

Practice "rolling" ukemi, "leaping" ukemi and "walking/running" ukemi.

Set up a makiwara. If you're not sure what a makiwara is, search on Kutaki for more info.

Practice San Shin/Gogyo no Kata. Practice kihon happo.

Set up a makiwara and practice moving through kamae and striking it (properly).

Practice any stretching/stregnthening exercises you've learned from your instructor.

Set up a makiwara. There's a good picture of one in Hatsumi soke's new book "Way of the Ninja" and another good example on the "Koto ryu Koppojutsu" video.

Practice any kata (with tools or without) you're instructor has shown you. Go through them slowly with your knees bent, and move slowly and smoothly to develop an awareness of your body moving through space.

Did I mention a makiwara? Strike it using movements from kata you've learned from your instructor.

Find a safe place to throw shuriken.

Read a book about psychology, geography or anatomy. Learn how to find your way by the stars. Figure out how to make fire without matches. Find out how to make shelter (and practice doing it). From my perspective, there's more to this than punching, kicking and throwing.

Ask your instructor; there's plenty of homework to do...

Posted on: 2004/7/15 0:49

Kutaki Postmaster
From Adelaide
Group:
yes it is dangerous for bad habits...
thats why you should train with an instructor even if you can only once a month or something? hmmm using gf as uke... not sure if thats a good idea or a bad one! :P (though mine does approve of weapons lol)

Posted on: 2004/7/15 1:51

Active Kutakian
From Quebec,Canada
Group:
I cant train with a intructor for now :( My gf have some cool weapons ( Tonfa, nunchaku, buttefly sword,broadsword )
She's better equiped than me lol

Posted on: 2004/7/15 8:12

Deleted_
I wrote this Training at Home a while back.

It is mostly for those training in a dojo who want to do extra training at home but I think it still applies if you are just training by yourself until you find a dojo.

Posted on: 2004/7/15 8:12

Active Kutakian
From Quebec,Canada
Group:
Great i gonna have a look on it for sure!

Posted on: 2004/7/15 12:56

Active Kutakian
From Quebec,Canada
Group:
Kizaru, you seem to explore the others side of ninjutsu.
I gonna check for others skills requirement, but first i must know ukemi,strikes,kamae, etc.

Posted on: 2004/7/15 13:04

(1) 2 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor