Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Best way to train alone?
Frequent Visitor
From Atlanta
Group:
村民 :: Villager
Ohashi san,
see that is very good advice...just watch the dvds and books! I always have them on in the background in the hope that it may subliminally sink in.

And i sincerely hope everyone agrees you need a teacher, its far too easy to go off the path, even with a teacher, but without one there is little hope.

And for me, see i learn from just the comments of my seniors like Ohashi san...thats a part of that connection that i referred to, there are so many senior very good people here that we can all get that feeling from, because they do have that connection to Soke. that is what i am talking about...it doesnt even have to be face to face, just keep reading here and "catch" it here...

I am grateful for this board and those opinions and help!
Domo

Andy D Cordell
Autistic crow

Posted on: 2004/7/25 22:14

Villager
From Missouri
Group:
Don't get me wrong i don't know anything when it comes to this art by comparision to a lot of people on this board. And i agree with you that I do need a teacher but I beleive that if one practices what one has seen over and over again with no variation one may be able to get something out of it. Im going into the Military so training regularly with a teacher is not an option so what are some things i can do to get better?

And just so you guys know i have trained with Ken Harding and I have trained with a study group for awhile so I have an idea I have watched the Tapes and seen what they do.

Posted on: 2004/7/25 22:29

Deleted_
Quote:

Novice wrote:
And i agree with you that I do need a teacher but I beleive that if one practices what one has seen over and over again with no variation one may be able to get something out of it.

It depends on the person as I already said. I recommend you ask your teacher if you are good at mimicking the models enough to train alone for a long time.

It's true that if you don't train at all, you can't develop as you said on another forum, but you should be aware at the same time that the more enthusiastic you are, the harder your bad habits will be to get rid of.

So, asking your teacher to correct your forms thoroughly before you leave will help you a lot, I hope.

Posted on: 2004/7/26 0:48
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Villager
From Phoenix, AZ
Group:
If training/practicing from DVDs and books, it might be a good idea to setup a video camera at different angles and compare your posture and movement to the person you're trying to mimic.

If you can get a friend involved, that'd be a great idea. Even if they have no knowledge of budo taijutsu, they can at least do training exercises with you. Most people can throw a basic punch. :) Make your friend a permanent uke.

Posted on: 2004/7/26 3:09

Permanent Village Fixture
From Dallas, TX
Group:
lol!
I've been reading this thread and I just understood that the discussion is based on the "solo trainee" not working with a shidoshi.
How many dojo meet more than 3x a week? Mine only meets 2x a week. I really enjoy training more frequently than that, so I engage in a lot of solo training.

In Soke's bojutsu video, he mentions that one should step straight back when doing a high block. I did the following drills on a fallen tree suspended about 6 feet.

-high blocks
-hicho jumps
-gyokko hira ichimonji strikes
-bojutsu strike combinations

I imagine any other linear movements could be done in this way. What does everyone else do when they are not in the dojo?

Posted on: 2004/7/26 8:15

Deleted_
Quote:

Kintiiwa wrote:
How many dojo meet more than 3x a week? Mine only meets 2x a week. I really enjoy training more frequently than that, so I engage in a lot of solo training.

It's OK because you see your instructor often and s/he can correct your forms etc every time.
But, I think we are talking about difficulties in training alone for a long time.

Posted on: 2004/7/26 9:18

From Toronto/Waterloo, Canada Eh!
Group:
Quote:

George_Ohashi wrote:
It's OK because you see your instructor often and s/he can correct your forms etc every time.
But, I think we are talking about difficulties in training alone for a long time.

I had understood it as training alone on the side... But it is in the 'have no dojo/instructor' forum. So George must be correct...maybe we should start a different thread as I for one would be interested in it.

I think its worth starting one...so I guess I will.

Posted on: 2004/7/26 10:46

From Toronto/Waterloo, Canada Eh!
Group:
So here's the link...hopefully we can all get some good advice and keep the 2 topics as seperated as they truely are!!!
http://www.kutaki.org/modules/newbb/v ... d=0&forum=2#forumpost8577

PS: to those without instructors I think that the other thread will be a bit unhelpfull until you get instructors. Just wanna give a head up so that you don't develp bad habits that will take years to correct.

Posted on: 2004/7/26 10:59

« 1 2 (3)

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor