Socialize

Recent Topics

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

A Consultation, if U don't mind
Active Kutakian
Group:
村民 :: Villager
i have posted on dojo x, so far no hits (it was going to be in cebu, a LOOOOOONG way from where i am). i been doing some training on my own, some kamae(gyokko ichimonji, jumonji, hicho and seigan). i've been doing a very low seigan for some time now. is horse stance training(from gung fu) complementary to seigan? and the basic fudoken lunge, what angles do i have to watch out for and where?

i heard about feldenkrais. any tips on doing it? i have modules, but can't seem to do it right.

no offense,is NINJUTSU, THE ART OF THE INVISIBLE WARRIOR( by SKH) still a good beginner's resouce? SKH was gone from Hatsumi-Soke's presence from a long time, and my book is dated 1984, and IT'S THE ONLY BOOK I HAVE!

TASUKETE KUDASAI!!!!!!

Posted on: 2004/7/30 10:36
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: A Consultation, if U don't mind
Village Old Timer
From oz
Group:
if the skh book is the green and black cover one, i read it about 10 yrs ago, i didn't think it was too bad. he is a bit deep in his kamae,which is good for leg strength but not much cop in a sreet fight. i would give his other books the flick though.(5 volumes) get h&t by sensie.

feldenkrais ??? never heard of that sorry,

dazza

Posted on: 2004/7/30 17:24

Permanent Village Fixture
From Wales, United Kingdom
Group:
Ninjutsu - Art of The Invisible Warrior is the big white one, not the green and black one (I think you mean The Ninja and their Secret Fighting Art?). In my opinion, yes, it's still a valid beginner's book and one of the two I recommend as such. Sure, some parts of it are out of date (well it was written back in 1984!) but there's more than enough information in there to get a beginner started out in his training.

I think people should attempt to obtain as many books as possible, even if those books were written some time ago. They can still offer many insights and food for training. Just remember, many of Hatsumi sensei's books are likewise twenty years old or more - maybe we shouldn't read them because they don't represent his current thinking?

Ninjutsu - History and Tradition, published 1981.
Stickfighting, published 1971.
Essence of Ninjutsu, published 1988.
The Grandmaster's Book of Ninja Training, published 1988.

I'll leave the Feldenkrais question to someone else as I've only had brief glimpses of the training on seminars. Of course, you could always Google for it.

Posted on: 2004/7/30 19:28

"Ultimately, we must forget technique, but forgetting about technique is not the same as never having learned it."
Hideharu Onuma

Deleted_
I studied some Feldenkrais when I was in massage school and didn't really see how it was better than any other form of movement therapy. My friend who teaches it said it works wonders for people who have disabilities that prohibit their range of motion, and for the elderly.

We did it for a few weeks in massage school with me as the "practice dummy" and it seemed interesting, but I get the same results (being a healthy adult) doing some yoga, or taijutsu.

Posted on: 2004/7/31 0:28

Deleted_
Re: horse stance (ma) training and seigan. Spending a long time in stance training is good for strengthening the legs and stretching the joints--two things that definitely compliment movement in seigan. Developing comfortability with strong low stances is an asset to your taijutsu, however, very much separation of movement b/w the upper and lower body can retard fluidity and lead to habitually "spreading" oneself out in partner drills (which might lead a partner to habitually kick out your knees, groin, etc: speaking from personal xp :(.

Low stance fudokens also led me to stretching out a little too far for the strike (turning my rear shoulder back about 2"): in this position a strong breeze could knock me over if it blew in at a 45.

*The Key* is the triangle. Your two feet form the base, and wherever the tip of the triangle is--that is where your balance can be easily lost: or you can cause someone else to lose their balance :).

Hold fast,

J. Ryan Ruch

Posted on: 2004/7/31 1:33

Villager
From columbus, ohio
Group:
Hello, Ditch the Hayes book and buy as many by Hatsumi-sensei as you can, its his art. The inacuracies in the hayes book stem from misunderstanding and creativity more than it does from being "outdated", from "way back in 1984" IMO. Anyway Dazza, regardless of how practical or not the stances seem to be it is called Ninjutsu, not street-fighting.

RE the Feldenkrais thing, I think that this a wonderfull method for body awareness. One thing though is that its EXpensive. If you can track down a group near you that does "Awareness Through Movement" classes go for it. The private "Functional Integration" are $$$, which is ok if you need extra attention. My advice is buy some books and cassette-tape lessons by Moshe Feldenkrais and work with these. Peace.

Posted on: 2004/7/31 13:54

BKR Columbus...

Village Old Timer
From oz
Group:
Quote:

ike wrote:
Anyway Dazza, regardless of how practical or not the stances seem to be it is called Ninjutsu, not street-fighting.

hi ike, not to be anal about it but it is actually called bujinkan budo taijutsu, as i'm sure you are well aware.

the point i was making about the deep kamae, was that as we no longer wear armour or normally carry extreemly heavy weapons, there is no need to adopt such a low posture.

if your low you are slow. my instructor does not resemble hayes, nor do any of the aussie top students. our skills will unfortunately be called into service on a modern street, not a 13 th centuary battlefield. this does not mean that it is of no use, as i said, good for leg strength or a traditional lesson, or with a big long weapon.

i was only trying to advice the new student not to take these old photo's too much as exact.

please do not take this post the wrong way, as i am only trying to clear up what i meant earlier.

yours in budo

dazza

Posted on: 2004/7/31 19:27

Deleted_
Quote:

dazza wrote:
the point i was making about the deep kamae, was that as we no longer wear armour or normally carry extreemly heavy weapons, there is no need to adopt such a low posture.

So you don't practice Katana, Yari, Kunai or anything 'traditional' at all because of the same reason?

Anyway, I practice and teach 'deep kamae' very often because this helps us a lot when we learn the kamae and strenghthen our lower bodies at the same time. I recommend that everyone do this.
(My own kihon kamae are low, and higher ones are just variations for me.)

Posted on: 2004/7/31 22:26

Village Old Timer
From oz
Group:
Quote:

George_Ohashi wrote:
Quote:

dazza wrote:

So you don't practice Katana, Yari, Kunai or anything 'traditional' at all because of the same reason?

ofcoarse we do, and i like it but i think my point has been missed.
**edit** and i see why, i should have said; "blah blah...,there is no need to adopt such a low posture, ALL THE TIME.

'this does not mean that it is of no use, as i said, good for leg strength or a traditional lesson, or with a big long weapon.'
did you miss that part ohashi san ?

Quote:

Anyway, I practice and teach 'deep kamae' very often because this helps us a lot when we learn the kamae and strenghthen our lower bodies at the same time. I recommend that everyone do this.

exactly, the kamae are adaptable to 2004, not stuck in 1204. it does not have to ALWAYS be this way [photo of skh almost doing side splits]

only a kyu grades opinion,

dazza

Posted on: 2004/7/31 22:53

Deleted_
Quote:

dazza wrote:
'this does not mean that it is of no use, as i said, good for leg strength or a traditional lesson, or with a big long weapon.'

Is that all? I hope you can find what I have in my mind through a long-term training.

Quote:

Quote:

exactly, the kamae are adaptable to 2004, not stuck in 1204. it does not have to be this way [photo of skh almost doing side splits]

Do you agree to my idea here? My kihon stances are low and wide, and I think this is a must.

Quote:

only a kyu grades opinion,

Yes, it is.
(Sorry for my poor English.)

Posted on: 2004/7/31 23:00

(1) 2 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor