Bumbling-budoka

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: A Consultation, if U don't mind
Village Old Timer
From oz
Group:
村民 :: Villager
ohashi sensie, i get the feeling that i am seen to be disagreeing with you, which i would consider to be very foolish on my part,
if my posts come across as that i think the traditional ways are rubbish, that is a result of my poor english.(and i have no excuse)

i was only trying to state that if i shape up in a big looooong kamae, when a thug jumps me, i do not favour my chance of winning. but if i use the principles and taijutsu i think i may live(hopefully) not that training traditionally is a waste of time(why would i say that?? i love it)

i hope i make myself more understandable

and yes i have only a kyu grades opinion/mind, thats why i put that as a disclaimer.

dazza

Posted on: 2004/7/31 23:20
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Deleted_
Quote:

dazza wrote:
i was only trying to state that if i shape up in a big looooong kamae, when a thug jumps me, i do not favour my chance of winning.

If you study kamae with low, wide stances, it won't take you a long time to become able to do waza with higher or easier stances. But, I think the opposite would be very difficult.
(Because of the same reason, I recommend slow and big movement for your waza training.)

Posted on: 2004/7/31 23:28

Village Old Timer
From oz
Group:
agreed, i practice really slow with exagerated(sp) movements when i train at home. but there is deep kamae and there is really deep kamae. but as i know close to nothing, i will ask barthurst sensei his opinion of the matter tomorrow, as i have another fun filled action packed day, can't wait,yee ha!

dazza

Posted on: 2004/7/31 23:43

Deleted_
Say hello to Tim.
I hope you'll have a good time with him. He is a very skillful Shihan. What's more, he speaks English!

(You need one more g.)

Posted on: 2004/7/31 23:45

Villager
From columbus, ohio
Group:

[B] hi ike, not to be anal about it but it is actually called bujinkan budo taijutsu, as i'm sure you are well aware. [/B]

Hi Dazza, nope actually the book is called "Ninjutsu; art of the invisible warrior", not bujinkan budo taijutsu. As far as the arts we practice, they have many many names. I dont recall any of them being "street-fighting". I can see that Ohashi-sensei is serving you on the other point so I'll be done. Happy training!

Posted on: 2004/7/31 23:47

BKR Columbus...

Village Old Timer
From oz
Group:
Quote:

George_Ohashi wrote:
Say hello to Tim.
I hope you'll have a good time with him. He is a very skillful Shihan. What's more, he speaks English!

(You need one more g.)

i knew it was wrong 'exaggerated' d'oh it's late i'm tired(excuse)

i will pass on your salutation, he is excellant, i'd pay money just to sit and watch him, always in a good position, balance, kamae(not so deep, he he, only kidding) i hope some of his skills transfer to me.

dazza

Posted on: 2004/7/31 23:55

Deleted_
Quote:

dazza wrote:
(not so deep, he he, only kidding)

No problem. I don't mean that we should use kihon without any henka in real situations. Kihon is kihon, and its forms are different from henka's forms in most cases. But something beyond the forms should be kept in henka, I think. That is what kihon is for.

Posted on: 2004/8/1 0:02

Village Old Timer
From oz
Group:
dope! the double whammey ike, you slam dunked me!
i thought you were refering to this art, not the just the book. my appoligies, but i never said it was called sreet fighting though... but have a good one, i'm going to bed, physically and mentally beat up.[can you hear the violin play,he he]

ya 'all hive a nice day now

dazza

Posted on: 2004/8/1 0:06

Active Kutakian
Group:
thank u all people for all the info. it is very much appreciated. DOMO ARIGATOU GOZAIMASU.

der's 1 thing bugging me though, in the book that i mentioned by SKH, the pics of omote and ura shuto are, i don't know... is ura shuto palm facing up? numerous resources say that ka no kata is done with ura shuto. i think those two pics in the book were misplaced(my opinion). and the rear hand in seigan/ichimonji, is it supposed to cover the shoulder or the face (the approximate angle from the shouder)? and how far is the front foot from the other? SKH's measurement was about 3 1/2 foot-unit from heel to heel. and the angle? gyokko ichimonji, if the sources were correct, forms 90 degrees. how about seigan?

please forgive a beginner's arrogance...
gomenasai...

Posted on: 2004/8/2 15:05

Permanent Village Fixture
From Wales, United Kingdom
Group:
Hey, never noticed that in all the years I've had that book!

On page 68, Hayes is demonstrating a strike using Omote Shuto Ken (i.e. "palm up" so to speak) but the text says Ura Shuto Ken. On page 69, Hayes is demonstrating a strike using Ura Shuto Ken (i.e. "palm down") but the text says Omote Shuto Ken. I think that this can simply be put down to a written mistake that simply escaped the editors. The pictures are correct, the accompanying text descriptions have somehow been swapped over.

In all fairness, I don't think he's saying he's demonstrating Ka No Kata etc on those pages anyway but, yes, Ka No Kata has Ura Shuto Ken at the end.

As for the technical questions, I do Ichimonji/Seigan differently every time as do most people. Don't try and copy what you see in a book exactly. They show a technique based upon that moment in time and space - if you try and copy it exactly without experiencing the same circumstances, you may not be moving correctly. Look at the photos, try and figure out the basic principles being shown in them and then figure it out through study and practice.

What does your instructor say?

Posted on: 2004/8/2 18:42

"Ultimately, we must forget technique, but forgetting about technique is not the same as never having learned it."
Hideharu Onuma

« 1 (2) 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor