Register now!
Socialize

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3)

Re: A Consultation, if U don't mind
Active Kutakian
Group:
村民 :: Villager
well, sir, that is my problem, I DON'T HAVE AN INSTRUCTOR(almost forgot to use an instead of a ); i became interested in bbt due to a friend from skhquest, i became his training partner, and basically, what we trained in was wwhat he all knew, the basics. he was just a kyu grade, and after 'training' (some people won't call what we did as training) for about 2 months, he left me here all alone.. bu-hu-hu

anyways i'm struck here with finding resources and this kid also interested in the art. forgive me if i starting to come as nosy in my recent posts.

Posted on: 2004/8/3 16:13
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Permanent Village Fixture
From Wales, United Kingdom
Group:
Where are you based? I'm sure you've got some Bujinkan groups near by and someone here on Kutaki is bound to know where.

Posted on: 2004/8/3 18:27

"Ultimately, we must forget technique, but forgetting about technique is not the same as never having learned it."
Hideharu Onuma

Active Kutakian
Group:
well sir, currently i'm stationned here in manila, philippines. no such luck in finding interested parties here, except for this college guy i met recently. ninjato mentioned about someone going to cebu, and that's miles away. here, ninja means recca or naruto. or even shinomori aoshi (forgive me anime fans, if there are any out there if i didn't get the spelling). i'd say they(people here) don't take this thing (bbt and ninpo) seriously.. my opinion anyway...

Posted on: 2004/8/4 15:16

"Don't ask me. I need time to practice rather than answering to it." - Harada Masanori

just playing the ONI's advocate!

Deleted_

Posted on: 2004/8/4 15:55

From Dallas, TX
Group:
Quote:

Did you know that you can videotape yourself doing all of your techniques and ukemi, etc.., send it in and a Bujinkan shihan will watch it, give you a ranking and then offer training suggestions ?

It might only be done with Soke, but I would imagine that any good Bujinkan teacher would be happy to help you out in that regard.

Wha...huh?! Which shihan? This seems very irregular to me.

Posted on: 2004/8/4 16:01

Active Kutakian
Group:
sir, i have read somewhere (i forgot where) that 'understand, good, play!' is a book of anecdotes from hatsumi sensei (please correct me if i'm wrong). i'm just a 'baby' in this field, those words are for the 'teens' and 'grown-ups'. i believe the only understandable resource for me at this point is kobudo no kihon, which i'm trying hard to get a copy(coz of the danged shipping here ).

Posted on: 2004/8/4 16:06

"Don't ask me. I need time to practice rather than answering to it." - Harada Masanori

just playing the ONI's advocate!

From Dallas, TX
Group:
I would really like an answer to my question posted prior, either private or public.
Thank you

Quote:

Did you know that you can videotape yourself doing all of your techniques and ukemi, etc.., send it in and a Bujinkan shihan will watch it, give you a ranking and then offer training suggestions ?

It might only be done with Soke, but I would imagine that any good Bujinkan teacher would be happy to help you out in that regard.

Wha...huh?! Which shihan? This seems very irregular to me.[/quote]

Posted on: 2004/8/4 19:02

From Wales, United Kingdom
Group:
Quote:

Even if this were true (and I'm neither confirming it or denying it because I'm not in a position to do so - I'll leave that for others to follow up on), is it really the best way to go? While distance learning can be a powerful tool, it can't take the place of actually working with an instructor and other students in person.

However,I do know that various shihan do indeed offer distance learning courses of various descriptions - I don't know the mechanics of how these courses operate though so you'd have to take that up with them.

While in my opinion, these courses can never be as good as the real thing, perhaps such a course could keep you going in the meantime until you are able to get to an instructor for more in depth training.

Someone mentioned earlier the book "Understand? Good. Play!" I think. It is indeed a great book and is mostly a series of quotes by Hatsumi sensei and others, taken during training. It's not really a beginner's book in the sense of giving you lots of basic tools to work with but it gives a great sense of the Bujinkan "feeling" I believe and it's worth getting just for that perhaps.

Posted on: 2004/8/4 19:46

"Ultimately, we must forget technique, but forgetting about technique is not the same as never having learned it."
Hideharu Onuma

Deleted_

Posted on: 2004/8/4 21:12

Deleted_
A point to consider when critiquing the kamae in SKH's early books is to remember that they were written at a time when most folks starting training had very stiff and lock-kneed habits, from their previous martial arts training or simply from the walking and standing habits of western culture in general.

I'd say he did us all a favour and showed great foresight by underscoring the importance of bending and using your knees. If he had shown the kamae and exercises in his books with pictures of him 'moving like soke', the structure and dynamics of the kamae would be extremely difficult to see and most folks would miss it.

The deep kamae in the photos leaves very little to doubt as to how things shoud (ideally) be aligned.

Still a good source for training and . . . dare I say . . . study?

You bet!

Just bear in mind that he as well as everyone else has grown a lot since those days.

Posted on: 2004/8/5 1:35

« 1 2 (3)

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor