Register now!
Socialize

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Exercising?
Villager
From Missouri
Group:
村民 :: Villager
Would you say that a valuable thing to do on your own for training is conditioning? Such as various exercises for strength running for endurance and of course a lot of stretching as flexibility seems to be a very important thing in the Budo Taijutsu system?

Posted on: 2004/8/5 18:12

Re: Exercising?
Villager
From Phoenix, AZ
Group:
All of the above are helpful, not only in training, but everyday life. It can create more energy for daily activities, and add to a better mood.

We're on our own for this type of conditioning, but it's still an important part of training.

Posted on: 2004/8/5 18:44

Kutaki Postmaster
Group:
Quote:

Novice wrote:
Would you say that a valuable thing to do on your own for training is conditioning? Such as various exercises for strength running for endurance and of course a lot of stretching as flexibility seems to be a very important thing in the Budo Taijutsu system?

Absolutely!

Training your flexibility, strength and endurance is very important. You have to do it at home or even better with other people who don’t necessarily have something to do with Budo Taijutsu at all. It’s more fun if you’re not training alone!

In the Budo Taijutsu training through Kata and Waza your body learns how to coordinate his newly gained ‘powers’.

To sum up: Conditioning as well as other basic basics like eating/drinking the right things are very important and form part of Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu. (How to live healthy and how to stay healthy)

Posted on: 2004/8/5 21:03

Kutaki Postmaster
From Columbus, ohio
Group:
I am of two minds on this one. First I think "no" exercising has really nothing to do with taijutsu. Taijutsu is about proper movement of the body, regardless of the bodies ability to move fast or well. Plus if I spend alot of my time warming up and then stretching whil exercicing, In a real fight I don't have the time to warm up and stretch. Plus when I was doing weight training and cardiovascular training, when I tried training I found that I started to rely more on my strength and speed to get through a technique as opposed to really "getting" the correct movement.
My second mind though says "yes" what was mentioned earlier about mood enhancement is good. Feeling good about my body was one other aspect of exercising (when I was doing it). I suppose if you can't train on the regular, exercise can't replace training in taijutsu, but it can help keep you happier between seminar's and such.

Posted on: 2004/8/12 7:08

Occasional Visitor
From England
Group:
[quote]
heretoday wrote:
Plus if I spend alot of my time warming up and then stretching whil exercicing, In a real fight I don't have the time to warm up and stretch.

I personally find I have more niggly injuries from both taijutsu training and running if I don't stretch. By stretching you will still improve the flexibility in a 'cold' state.
I am, however, not very flexible, and so this may be personal.

I also feel a lot better when I get plenty of aerobic excercise, and as I run I do go through techniques and situations in my mind, so I am training in both!

Posted on: 2004/8/13 19:35

Honorary Villager
From Colorado, USA
Group:
I don't feel that the exercising/working out has to be contradictory to your taijutsu at all!

Some nights, we train physically hard in the dojo. We do lots of spirited ukemi - dive rolls and the like. We smack each other about a bit. We've done nights where we mix *hard* exercise with kihon so that you get the feel of doing kihon while trembling with exhaustion - hmmmm... sounds similar to adrenaline, neh? Other nights, it's quiet. We move softly (well, our teacher does and we try!!!) - there is a heavy emphasis on flow and feeling. On those nights the whole technique might be to slip the punch and catch/guide it in a sticky manner, moving from the hips. Other nights, we may do elaborate multistep waza/henka exploration.

I view the question of whether to stretch, warm up, etc. prior to class just the same - some nights, warm up. push your *physical* envelope those nights. Trying to learn to dive roll when you are cold is a great way to get hurt. It doesn't mean you won't have to do one cold some day - but LEARNING it safely is another story. Other nights, do the kihon - and do them cold - or in street clothes - or both!

IMO, there is nothing wrong with having strength, endurance, and flexibility. The wrong comes if you RELY on those to make up for bad technique. Our challenge as students is to add those tools (strength, etc) in such a way as to complement, not overwhelm the technique, timing, flow, and feeling that we study in the dojo.

Posted on: 2004/8/14 2:47
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Honorary Villager
From Blaine, MN
Group:
Don't get me wrong but even the best movement requires at least a little muscle... to stand, and even when you use falling movements no matter how much energy u conserve some gets lost. I dDont know about the value of anaerobic excercise in taijitsu, but cardio seems to have some value. I mean honestly when u get startled or excited you heart speeds up. Now i know we aren't all soke, though well al strive to acheve his level no matter how far we are. But to me it make some practical sense to protect our butts until we can make it to that.

Aside from that cardio is good for health and long life span... why in the world would you shun it? And if your like me who used to work a blue collar job all the time you need some muscle to achieve your work. I dunno bout you guys but nothing makes me dragg butt more than feeling tired.

I think i agree like everyone here that speed and strength are at all to be the basis of taijitsu. But I had always felt the Bujinkan was about growing and becoming better. I'm not saying of course to become a professional weight lifter who spends all his time in the gym as opposed to doing taijitsu... but would being able to say out run an attacker be useful? for either getting away.. or even possibly trying to get you wallet back!

Don't get me wrong yes you could avoid x by doing x, but that just dont always work out that way, especially when you are Mr. Mu kyu and etc.

Imagine being on an ancinet battle field. Now imagine not being able to sprint a quarter or half a mile, or not being able to handle any vigorous movement for long. There must be some value in outlasting your opponet in any and every way you can, right?

- Timothy Danielson

Posted on: 2004/8/28 9:34

7th kyu, Mizu Nagare Pupil.

"Taking one for Ite! "
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor