Socialize

Recent Topics

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

walking taijutsu and shizen tai
Active Kutakian
Group:
村民 :: Villager
pardon me, i have read somewhere that walking is a good taijutsu training. due to that, i have the following questions:

1. how do you walk? i mean, where in the foot you center your weight? at the heel, at the ball or at the center of the foot(also known as K-1 or yongquan)? could you give a reason for it?

2. when you stand, where do you focus your weight? is it different when you walk? why there?

3. lastly, when you walk dogs, do you allow them to dictate the walk? if they chase someone/something, do you restrain them?

Posted on: 2004/8/9 14:05

"Don't ask me. I need time to practice rather than answering to it." - Harada Masanori

just playing the ONI's advocate!
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: walking taijutsu and shizen tai
Village Old Timer
From oz
Group:
check out duncan mitchell's web site, there is a good article covering the very subject. i think it's bujinkan brisbane or something similar, you'l find it

hth

dazza

Posted on: 2004/8/9 18:50

Permanent Village Fixture
From Wales, United Kingdom
Group:
Duncan's website is at www.bujinkanbrisbane.com and you can find the article mentioned earlier at this link HERE.

Posted on: 2004/8/9 18:54

"Ultimately, we must forget technique, but forgetting about technique is not the same as never having learned it."
Hideharu Onuma

Frequent Visitor
From Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Group:
For dog walking, and dog training in general, check out Matthew Margolis aka Uncle Matty.
www.unclematty.com
http://www.unclematty.com/training/basic.htm
I like his compassion for our canine friends.

Ok, back to training.

Posted on: 2004/8/10 1:32

Bujinkan Kokun Dojo
-------------------------------------------------
Westwood, Boston, Massachusetts, USA

)'(
Feel the Burn.......

Deleted_

Posted on: 2004/8/10 1:41

Deleted_
Quote:

Lockfield wrote:
1. how do you walk? i mean, where in the foot you center your weight? at the heel, at the ball or at the center of the foot(also known as K-1 or yongquan)? could you give a reason for it?

I think you should use all of your feet but don't put too much weight on the heel. Keep the knees slightly bent, smaller steps and essentially use the leg muscles to support the body rather than the bone structure (locking the knees etc).

Quote:

Lockfield wrote:
2. when you stand, where do you focus your weight? is it different when you walk? why there?

I usually focus my left foot on the floor and the right on the metal pipe that runs around the bottom of the bar. Left elbow on top of the bar and the right hand holding a counterweight (such as a pint of liquid).

Quote:

3. lastly, when you walk dogs, do you allow them to dictate the walk? if they chase someone/something, do you restrain them?

I think it's best to let the dogs dictate the walk but I wouldn't go as far as to let them chase something as this is a very bad habit for a dog. I think understanding animal training and handling is also a good skill to have.

Posted on: 2004/8/10 12:31

Village Old Timer
From oz
Group:

Quote:

Lockfield wrote:

Quote:

I usually focus my left foot on the floor and the right on the metal pipe that runs around the bottom of the bar. Left elbow on top of the bar and the right hand holding a counterweight (such as a pint of liquid).

with frequent bending of the elbow,he he

dazza

Posted on: 2004/8/10 19:41

Kutaki Postmaster
From Wakefield, England
Group:
Look up Ghost walking in a book printed for the UK Army called "The Volunteers Pocket Handbook", it explains in there how it is done along with fieldcraft ETC.
soldiers pocket book

Posted on: 2004/8/10 21:09

"Sensei, all your children have guns. What shall we do?"
"Let them kill each other, that way they will learn"

Kutaki Postmaster
From Columbus, ohio
Group:
I make awareness part of my walking training. Watching how other people are flowing around me as I move through a crowd is alot of fun. Kind of like frogger...but without the alligators!

Posted on: 2004/9/4 7:26

Kutaki Postmaster
From Los Angeles
Group:
Some martial arts don't walk! Take Kendo for instance. Their footwork tends to slide/step without ever walking. It's importand to keep in mind that taking what Musashui calls "In/Yo(Yin/Yang)" stepping is important. Basically right-left-right-left...is the way to gain position to win.

Every step should have meaning or purpose. Also, have stablity and flexiblity when walking.

Taihenjutsu training will develope nimbleness in your footwork. This is very important!

"Shizen Tai" means natural body. Walk Naturally so that your movement isn't contrived.

Posted on: 2004/9/9 17:08

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor