Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 »

A Question from an Outsider
Villager
From Los Angeles
Group:
村民 :: Villager
Hi all!

I'm a student of wushu here in the States and wanted to throw a few questions out there.

1.) Do you guys associate with people who practice other styles of martial arts?

2.) Do you feel that some styles are better than other?

3.) Do you keep up with "current events" in the world of martial arts?

Mainly curious about how practitioners of ninjutsu see themselves in relation to other styles of martial arts.

Posted on: 2004/8/14 4:27

-Mencius
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: A Question from an Outsider
Active Kutakian
From Finland
Group:
We're individuals. Some people do, some people don't.

Posted on: 2004/8/14 6:26

Permanent Village Fixture
From Toronto/Waterloo, Canada Eh!
Group:
Hey,
Your probably gonna want to give us some more info about yourself before you get any decent answers.

This kind of thing is often a touchy topic ... and so its tricky to answer such questions without knowing where the person is coming from and what their intentions are, etc.

do that and I'm sure you'll get a decent response or 2...

otherwise I'll have to question whether you'll be telling ppl that "Joe blow is a pink belt in ninjutsu and he says that ..."

Other than that ... Welcome to Kutaki

Posted on: 2004/8/14 6:29

Villager
From Los Angeles
Group:
First off, thanks for welcoming me.

I'm a graduate student in Classical Japanese Literature. I'm at UC Irvine, the best school in the US for Critical Theory. We have some world reknown philosopher (e.g. Jacques Derrida, Wolfgang Iser, etc.) teaching in the same building as my department. And having taken classes in Critical Theory, I've been applying philosophy to martial arts (mainly because there's a real absence of that in the academic world).

My reason for asking these questions is twofold. One is to see what kind of field martial artists have created. By field I'm using a concept the late sociologist Pierre Bordieu created. He said that all cultural forms are staking out positions in a field of cultural production. I'm trying to see if that is true of martial arts as Bordieu mainly discusses high art like literature, theater, and painting.

The second reason is a bit more personal. It's just to see if as a non-ninjutsu person I would be welcomed. Even though wushu suits me to a T, I do enjoy watching other martial arts. I often go to other schools to observe their practices. Plus it means I have friends in other martial arts, so the degree of antagonism is dropped down a notch or two.

Hope that helps assuade any animosity here.

Posted on: 2004/8/14 10:08

-Mencius

Deleted_

Posted on: 2004/8/14 13:14

Villager
From Los Angeles
Group:
Quote:

Danny wrote:
Welcome Yutai,
(Can we call you that?)

Call me what you will. Yu Tai Sheng means "Sage of the Jade Terrace". The "Yu Tai" (Jade Terrace) refers to "The New Songs of the Jade Terrace", a collection of Chinese Love Poetry. My field of study is Japanese poetry (waka) but since I'm studying under a really cool scholar of Song dynasty Poetry, I've started to become more familiar with the Chinese poetic tradition.

Quote:

#1 Associate with other types of martial artists ?

Many of us study ( and some even teach) other martial arts as well. The Bujinkan is itself a family of 9 schools. Many times I have been in class and thought "Wow, that technique looks exactly like a Tai chi movement."

Sensei replied that they came from the same ancient school, so it is only natural that some movements will be identical.

Ok, but that raises a question I've always posed: do you create a totally new structure of knowledge to incorporate all the styles you "know"?

Quote:

I guess MA's are like tools, and each has its intended purpose.

One way of seeing it, but I agree.

Quote:

That's what I would call current events in the world of martial arts. I hope this has been useful, I'm sure others could give you more and better info. (And they'll be more concise...)

I guess "current events" tends to be limited to the events in our individual styles. In the wushu world, the big thing is 2008 Beijing Olympics and whether it will help promote wushu. We often don't get a chance to hear about things going on with other Martial artists. That insularity is one thing I'm striving to overcome, so any response helps to overcome that.

Thanks for responding; hope to hear more from you and others on this board.

Posted on: 2004/8/14 15:11

-Mencius

Deleted_

Posted on: 2004/8/14 16:33

From No. Cal., USA
Group:
Mr. Harrison,
greetings from a fellow uc graduate student!

Your questions seem too soft-balled and presumptive to get you answers you couldn't get by reading any thread.

However, you may put this in your pipe to smoke...
I was under the impression that martial arts exist in "the world" which provides them with context and reason. If this is so then the context may determine which martial art is "best". This might be why discarding forms altogether would be desirable.

If current events in the world of martial arts include sport scores then I would rather live in a world of naked women holding bar-b-q.

Posted on: 2004/8/14 18:12

From Dallas, TX
Group:
mmmm......
BBQ

Posted on: 2004/8/14 19:27

Kutaki Postmaster
From Adelaide
Group:
mmm I personally dont have friends in other martial arts however im interested in alot of various "serious" martial arts (no offense to competetions and sports that are derived from martial arts but I have to agree with danny). the main martial arts besides bujinkan tend to be internal martial arts from china.. as for the new structures question, budo is a life long training, ive seen too many martial arts around that are either "a few lessons and you can defend yourself from a basic thug that has the brain the size of a pea" or is too watered down/focusing on sport to have any considerable actual self defense in it,...
however im young and im still learning with an open mind theres alot out there and not everything is black and white... some schools wont show you techniques until your a dedicated student so that can make it harder to find out as well!

Posted on: 2004/8/15 0:18

(1) 2 3 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor