Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: A Question from an Outsider
Kutaki Postmaster
From Honolulu
Group:
村民 :: Villager
Hi YuTaiSheng,

I think I actually know some people in your department. I have a fondness for those Anteaters and all things at the University of Civics and Integras. My own thoughts on your question is that anytime I hear someone make comments about their martial art being better then others I tend to view them as idiots and not take anything else they have to say seriously. If you asked me if I consider one particular martial artist better then another martial artist then I have to say yes.

I don't practice aikido but I have heard a lot of people disparage it. I have met more some pretty dangerous people that did strictly aikido or at least had aikido as their main art was aikido. Aikido or any martial art can be as lethal as the person doing it wants to make it. As much as I like Bujinkan Budo taijutsu I don't view as being any more dangerous then anything else I have encountered.

I recently had some idiot that read one of my post on Kutaki telling me in an email that koryu jujutsu was ineffective bc it was not lethal enough for him. Oh really now? I had to eplain to him that in the Shoden level of Takenouchi ryu there are roughly 106 kata (by my count there are 512 total) , almost all of them if followed through as called for are intended to end the life of the enemy. There are 12 under torite where the enemy is allowed to live long enough to be taken to the authorities for execution. I like Takenouchi Ryu a lot, enough that it is my main art for the rest of my life but I don't consider it better then anything nor do I think it is inferior to anything else.

I hope that makes clear where I stand.

Posted on: 2004/8/15 6:02

Some Replies
Villager
From Los Angeles
Group:
Quote:

petelohstroh wrote:
Mr. Harrison,
greetings from a fellow uc graduate student!

Your questions seem too soft-balled and presumptive to get you answers you couldn't get by reading any thread.

However, you may put this in your pipe to smoke...
I was under the impression that martial arts exist in "the world" which provides them with context and reason. If this is so then the context may determine which martial art is "best". This might be why discarding forms altogether would be desirable.

If current events in the world of martial arts include sport scores then I would rather live in a world of naked women holding bar-b-q.

I'm not quite sure where this animosity is coming from. I believe that each person finds a martial art that suits their personality. I'm not trying to say one is better than another and never would. My question was trying to see if that mentality was present or not. Sorry for that I offended you as your message displays some ire towards me.

To Danny:

I'm not offended by the "wushu isn't a true martial art" comment. We wushu folk hear it a lot from the traditional kung fu schools. I would agree that fighting is not a priority in wushu, but to achieve real artistic competence in wushu, one has to learn the applications of the techniques. Plus there's the old "martial art" argument, i.e. how much art is in a martial art. Ninjutsu is on the martial side; wushu on the artistic side, but you can't have a martial art without both. Let's say we're taking different paths, but I'm hoping we can be traveling companions.

To Chris Moon:

Wow, yet another UCI person. I'm jazzed to encounter so many Anteaters. Like I said aabove, I should apologize for putting the whole "best martial art" question in there. I'm not trying to say one style is better than another. Each martial art has its place in the field. But I think that this "best" mentality comes from the general lack of interaction among martial artists. If you don't know what wushu (or ninjutsu or aikido) is really about, then you operate on assumptions and it's very easy to make judgment calls like "This style/school is better than that one." And while doing so, you may be pushing away a potential ally, because who can understand a martial artist better than another martial artist. So my main goal is to strengthing ties with other martial artists. I'm not trying to pick a fight; just trying to make some friends and allies.

Posted on: 2004/8/15 6:44

-Mencius
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Kutaki Postmaster
From Colorado
Group:
1) Personaaly I associate with people of all sorts. However, on a less fascetious note yes. In fact one of my teachers often ecnouraged us to do so, particularly seminars from one of the AkiJitsu Sokes, Don Ange. My experience is that there is much to learn from everyone and besides knowing the abilities of potential enemies as well as friends is basic to any martial -- in the literal context -- art.

2) I would agree with other posts that styles that are not competition focused tend to have fewer holes than others. However, a serious and skilled practitioner of any art can be a formidable opponent.

3) Only to the extent to know what is popular. Again, this is under the heading of "be prepared". Also, as I teach I try to put things into context.

Answers are personal and in no way reflect on anyone but myself.

Posted on: 2004/8/15 7:26

Alan Witty...
www.warriorwindma.com

Re: Some Replies
Kutaki Postmaster
From Honolulu
Group:
Quote:

YuTaiSheng wrote:
To Chris Moon:

Wow, yet another UCI person. I'm jazzed to encounter so many Anteaters.

I didn't actually go to UCI, I am a U. of Miami boy myself. I just made a run through the Kappa Kappa Gamma house and did some consulting to the prosecution of that UCI kid that cut up some girl he met from the 'net.

BTW pursuant to this thread, I agree with what you had in that last post.

Posted on: 2004/8/15 7:27

Active Kutakian
From Belgium
Group:
I think you may find the Booj to be relatively Japanese in its approach and attitudes that you may find. That precludes many cut and dry answers, specially those requiring ego over ability. You may also find many things that compliment what you may know, or not. The trick is to find a good teacher. If you have a good heart, you'll find people relatively open and welcoming. Even the fruity new age types.

Say in class the other week, we learned about grips and taking balance while slamming straight down into the pavement. Many smiles and all very, very slow. Not for the weak of stomach.

G. Vreeman

Posted on: 2004/8/15 9:42

Re: Some Replies
Permanent Village Fixture
From No. Cal., USA
Group:
Mr. Harrison,
No offense/no ire here, I'm just blunt. I am sure you posed your questions in good faith. Perhaps you are missing the answer I actually wrote and are reading something else that isn't there?

Posted on: 2004/8/15 17:36

Deleted_

Posted on: 2004/8/15 21:24

More Replies
Villager
From Los Angeles
Group:
Quote:

Mr. Harrison,
No offense/no ire here, I'm just blunt. I am sure you posed your questions in good faith. Perhaps you are missing the answer I actually wrote and are reading something else that isn't there?

Might be my hypersensitivity getting the best of me again. Sorry if I read it the wrong way.

Quote:

Danny wrote:

True martial arts requires you to think unconventionally and to exploit anything and everything in order to survive.
Competition, in my understanding, promotes sportsmanship and fair play.
That is not martial arts.
We try to cultivate a realistic, often lethal, multiple-attacker type awareness in our art.

Ever heard of the expression wu de? It's Chinese for "martial virtue". Here's a quote from a book on Chen Taiji.
Quote:

Martial arts require rigorous physical training that brings about fitness and self-defense skill. However, to reach higher levels, mental and character development must accompany physical skill, as it is believed that without moral character, the essence of wushu will not be discovered by the practitioner.... Wu-de embodies the five morals of Sun-zi's The Art of War: Wisdom, Loyalty, Benevolence, Courage, and Integrity.

The last two are involved in competition. It takes courage to display your skill in a competition before friends and strangers alike. The courage comes from integrity, that you have practiced according to the rules of your teacher(s) and practiced to the best of your ability. So I would argue that it is martial arts.

Posted on: 2004/8/16 4:09

-Mencius

Active Kutakian
From 松戸市、日本
Group:
議長 :: Mod
Quote:

YuTaiSheng wrote:
1.) Do you guys associate with people who practice other styles of martial arts?

Me personally, yes. I'm friends with people who do Aikido, Katori Shinto ryu, Shinkage ryu, Bagua Zhang etc. The Bujinkan is a martial arts school, not a cult, what's wrong with having friends? Are people in your wushu kwoon not allowed to have friends in other martial arts systems?

Quote:

2.) Do you feel that some styles are better than others?

I think every generation has to re-discover how their system works, not just mimic the teacher and parrot his words. So I think there are some people who have re-discovered more than others, and some schools that are just interested with the surface.

Quote:

3.) Do you keep up with "current events" in the world of martial arts?

Sure, I read police reports if that's what you mean.

Posted on: 2004/8/16 9:00

Villager
From Los Angeles
Group:
Quote:

Kizaru wrote:

Me personally, yes. I'm friends with people who do Aikido, Katori Shinto ryu, Shinkage ryu, Bagua Zhang etc. The Bujinkan is a martial arts school, not a cult, what's wrong with having friends? Are people in your wushu kwoon not allowed to have friends in other martial arts systems?

I like to observe other styles and know people who practice Kyokushin Karate,Judo, and Shaolin Kung Fu. But as an observer, I noticed there is a tendency among martial artists not to associate with martial artists from different schools/styles. I'm asking more to overcome the insularity.

Quote:

I think every generation has to re-discover how their system works, not just mimic the teacher and parrot his words. So I think there are some people who have re-discovered more than others, and some schools that are just interested with the surface.

Very interesting take on that. Very true statement.

Quote:

Sure, I read police reports if that's what you mean.

I was thinking along the lines of martial arts magazines or articles about martial arts in mainstream media.

Posted on: 2004/8/16 13:30

-Mencius

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor