Certificates 0 2018/5/8 4:34
schistkicker

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

San Shin No Kata
Villager
From Missouri
Group:
村民 :: Villager
How valuable is the san shin no kata to solo training? What can one learn by doing San Shin no kata on their own. Assuming they have an idea about how to do it anyway.

Posted on: 2004/8/28 13:37

Re: San Shin No Kata
Frequent Visitor
Group:
I am only a low kyu grade, so take this with a grain of salt, but assuming it has been taught to you correctly I feel there is a lot to learn from this.

1) basic kamae, and moving from within that kamae. Proper distribution of weight, moving your legs (which leg starts the movement, which propels you through the movement, etc).

2) Basic angling (tai-sabaki) in response to an attack.

3) Basic counterstriking techniques (jodan and gedan uke).

4) Basic striking techniques (shitan-ken, ura and omote shuto, boshi-ken, zenpo keri).

5) Full body movement. This, to me, has been one of the most important things at my level.

6) Proper footwork for various distances while moving and striking.

...I have found much of value within this kata. The most important thing, however, is that I have a proper instructor to teach me and monitor my progress.

Cheers!

Posted on: 2004/8/28 15:59
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Deleted_
Quote:

Novice wrote:
What can one learn by doing San Shin no kata on their own.

It strongly depends on the person. So, you should try it by yourself, and you'll find your own answer. It doesn't require so many months, I hope. (What is your instructor's answer?)

The most obvious thing is that if you don't do it, you cannot learn anything from it.

Gambatte.

Posted on: 2004/8/28 16:07

Village Old Timer
From oz
Group:
in my humble personal opinion, almost everything can be learned from san shin and kihon happo.

since eventually finding a good teacher whom has shown me the correct taijutsu for these kata, i feel my training has come on leaps and bounds from where i was.

also i find everything stems back to these movements, and if you can spot these movements in seemingly complex techniques, you will understand things quicker and easier.

if you were a tradesman do you think you would be able to complete first class effortless work with a well looked after, honed tool kit or a bag of scrap with lots of stuff missing ?

keep going

Posted on: 2004/8/28 21:04

Oldschoolcarpentry.com.au

Frequent Visitor
From Berlin, germany
Group:
Hi Tim,

i think one of the values of practicing the san shin no kata without an uke is that you are able to focus of your own movement without "beeing disturbed" by fists/feets trying to hit you. So you have the chance to explore things like different ways of moving out(like just take a step, doing a "monkeyjump" or using yokoaruki), on which foot is my bodyweight while lunching the uke and which direction or our which foot is used next to be as fluent as possible (just e.g.). Maybe you´ll be able to make it better than with an uke because you are not trapped by the thought of "being fighting" against someone (i am sometimes, so just my exp...). Not to mention that this doesn´t mean that you should do it by yourself only, but it is a nice way to get used to it.
Maybe you try it in front of a mirror and teach the guy you see there

Have fun!

Posted on: 2004/8/29 1:58

Kutaki Postmaster
From Columbus, ohio
Group:
I agree with everything that has been said. Doing San Shin on your own on a consistent basis can allow you to become familiar with the basic movements of BBT. Once you become more familiar with them, then you can receive alot more benefit from the time that you do get to spend with a good teacher because you are not spending all that time working with unfamiliar movements. I would definatley warn against practising exclusively on your own though. IMO what makes taijutsu different from kata is the difference between living and dying, what may work well by yourself probably won't work well with another person.
Keep going!

Posted on: 2004/9/4 7:15

Deleted_
Hello All!

In addition to the insightful comments already made, please consider that as with most things the value of solo training the Sanshin is in proportion to the thought and effort put into such training.

Also, Hatsumi Sensei offers some interesting points to consider in his book "Togakure Ryu Ninpo Taijutsu" (among others).

Posted on: 2004/9/4 8:34

Kutaki Postmaster
From Los Angeles
Group:
In the begining San Shin No Kata will help you build the groundwork for your taijutsu.

Chi- Basic movement and body coordination

Sui-the above plus Jodan Uke and omote shuto

Ka-Jodan Uke and Ura Shuto

Fu- Gedan Uke and tsuki

Ku- Gedan Uke, Zempo Geri and a little bit of kyojutsu

Work from here and see where it takes you. Use big/exagerated movements than later refine them. Keep strong Kamae and move from Kamae-Kamae-Kamae.

Train diligently!

Posted on: 2004/9/4 17:11

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor