Group:
村民 :: Villager
Quote:

Danny wrote:
Any thoughts?
Anyone surprised?
I welcome discussion.

No, not surprised at all.

Japan is the country with the most suicides in the world (except Lithuania).
Why? Well, it's clear to me. You gave a few reason above.

As far as I understand it suicide is not seen as something bad but something to 'pay' for your incapacity and the faults you made.

[This post has been edited because of unclear formulation. Please keep in mind that English is not my native language.]

Posted on: 2004/10/17 16:30

Re: Japanese cultural items of interest
Deleted_
Quote:

kukan_bujin wrote:
Japan is the country with the most suicides in the world.

With all due respect you really shouldn't just "make up" facts on the spot when posting something.

From the years I have seen Australia has a higher rate with the highest rates traditionally being from the Northern European countries with I think Lithuania being the highest at the moment.

Despite the Japanese being more open and non-judgemental about suicide I think you'll find the rates aren't particulary any higher than other developed nations.

Posted on: 2004/10/17 16:55
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Deleted_
Quote:

Danny wrote:
One of my students said that many Japanese doctors are afraid to tell their patients when they have cancer or some other terminal disease because they are afraid the patient will commit suicide and then the family will sue the doctor.
So, they tell the family the truth and let the family decide whther or not to tell the patient.

I have followed this debate in Japan for some time because of personal experience.

I think you'll find that the belief is (as was held in the west too until the 1960s) that patients shouldn't be told if they have cancer or they will give up hope and become harder to cure.

This is of course bunk but something the medical system in Japan seems to hold onto.

The subject is covered well in the excellent movie Daibyonin
http://www.foutz.net/movies/daibyonin.shtml

Posted on: 2004/10/17 17:00

Kutaki Postmaster
Group:
Quote:

Hachigoro wrote:
With all due respect you really shouldn't just "make up" facts on the spot when posting something.

I haven’t made up anything for sure. My sources (which I am not allowed to name) clearly indicate:

The Baltic European country Lithuania has a higher over-all suicide rate than Japan. That’s right. (But we’re talking about Japan, ne?) Followed by J A P A N.

Australia on the other hand has the highest rate of youth suicide in the world. But this is not the subject of this thread either.

You see, everything is fine.

(Please keep in mind that English is not my native language.)

Posted on: 2004/10/17 17:35

Deleted_

Posted on: 2004/10/17 17:39

Honorary Villager
From Sodertalje, Sweden
Group:
There shoulden´t be any problems in finding sources that doesn´t demand anonymity in this subject. This is the first hit a got using Google, I don´t know if it relyable or not since I only glansed at it. However it seems to indicate Lithuania as having the highest suicide rate.

http://www.uni-wuerzburg.de/IASR/suicide-rates.htm

As an academic I like when people use sources that can be named, when arguing a point of fact...

/Micke

Posted on: 2004/10/17 19:46

Deleted_
Quote:

Danny wrote:
Suicide IS a crime in Japan,

Why do you think so? I learned the opposite thing in a few textbooks on the Japanese criminal law. Suicide itself IS NOT a crime in Japan though aiding and abetting a suicide is a crime. The relevant chapter starts with the article 199 in the law.

Posted on: 2004/10/17 22:20

Deleted_

Posted on: 2004/10/17 22:41

Deleted_
Quote:

Danny wrote:

Suicide is a crime in America. Suicide is a crime and a sin in my culture.

Hello All!

I believe that these statements are generalizations that don't take into consideration the complexity and diversity of law and culture within the United States.

Suicide may be illegal in some States, but I have never heard of anyone being prosecuted on a criminal level for attempted suicide. On the other hand, I am aware of many instances where it has been treated as a symptom of a psychological disorder (such as depression) as opposed to a crime. Furthermore, I believe that a State or two may even permit Doctor assisted suicide under certain circumstances. This is considered to be a controversial issue in the US.

My point here is to suggest that such topics are often complex and controversial and over-simplified statements tend to lead us away from meaningful discussion and into the realm of stereotype

Posted on: 2004/10/17 22:49

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor