Wedding gift... can someone help me to translate it? 6 2018/6/30 20:50
Barga18
Aomori-Ken 0 2018/6/19 10:27
hanzo-tou
Certificates 0 2018/5/8 4:34
schistkicker

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Why there is`nt any real ninjutsu movies?
Frequent Visitor
From Bosnia, Europe
Group:
村民 :: Villager
Why there is`nt any real ninjutsu movies? There are a lot of movies that presents kung-fu, thai-boxing, aikido, but no ninjutsu (except Shinobi No Mono). As I see it ninjutsu is more exciting than theese arts, becouse of (no)"tehniques", using everything in self-defence thats around you (something like Jackie Chan) and fights dont last for 20 minutes like in some unreal films.
Is it the "mistery" or no one of these directors know about this art, or just dont take it seriously after thoose "`80s crap super ninja productions"...
It would be great if someone makes a quality film with real ninjutsu, me personaly would lloooove if someome could make a film about Takamatsu sensei`s life, and that Hatsumi sensei be director and coreographer of martial arts ...
Whats your oppinion on this one...

Posted on: 2004/10/17 21:11
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Why there is`nt any real ninjutsu movies?
Permanent Village Fixture
From Antwerp Belgium
Group:
Because the little bits we know about Ninjutsu itself aren't really sufficient to turn it into a movie, as far as I see it.
Furthermore there are not enought people outside the Booj that know enough about the topic, nor are there inside the Booj people who know enough who actually WANT to make such movies, I guess.

Posted on: 2004/10/17 21:36

Shodan Bujinkan Budō Taijutsu
"Shodan" means "beginners grade"...

Deleted_
Ther are real Ninjutsu movies, They are called QUEST series by Soke.

Posted on: 2004/10/17 23:38

Kutaki Postmaster
From JAPAN
Group:
I recommend you these two movies.

1. "忍びの者(Shinobi-no-mono)" in 1962

I think most of Bujinkan members know about this movie that both Takamatsu sensei and Hatsumi sensei advised about ninjutsu.

2. "鞍馬天狗(Kuramatengu)" in 1928

This movie is acting by Kanjyuro Arashi and he is performing Bojutsu. Hatsumi sensei quoted that the bojutsu is very similar to Kukishin-ryu. I heard that Kukishin-ryu bojutsu was getting very popular in Kyoto area in those days.

Posted on: 2004/10/18 6:25

Deleted_
I think most directors are more interested in entertaining than they are in providing an accurate or enlightening portrayal of martial arts in movies. A director would have to have a very deep and honest love for martial arts in order to invest the time and effort needed to portray them accurately AND entertainingly.

Over time, though, I think it will become all the more likely for more Bujinkaners to become involved here and there in the film industry, and their influence will no doubt have it's effect.

Part of the fun, I think, would be putting in ninpo concepts here and there, but 'hiding' them at the same time. This way, of course, only a small fraction of your audience will 'get' it, but that's part of the fun, especially if the film is still entertaining enough on other levels to appeal to others as well.

My favourite will perhaps always be Toshiro Mifune, in his early Kurosawa films and the Samurai series made by another director. He wasn't a martial artist per se, but he had a love for the history and, I am given to understand, made a very sincere effort to portay the combat in his roles as accurately as he could. I also love Jackie Chan for his ukemi, use of his environment and honest desire to entertain and amaze at practically any cost!

Posted on: 2004/10/19 2:18

Mr. Chan
Kutaki Postmaster
From UK
Group:
Buyu,
On the topic of Jackie Chan, have you noticed that a lot of the body movement in general of Mr. Chan tend to be fairly similar to those in taijutsu. I have seen this in some of his films and even when I have seen him doing general movement like walking (at ceremonies, Martial Arts events, etc.). I find it somewhat revealing into the Chinese origins of, say Gyokko Ryu. Maybe Chinese martial arts are still close to taijutsu. Any history buffs, please correct my errors. Any error is mine.
Btw, has anybody seen his new movie, New Police Story, I recommend it to all of you; it is one of the best films I have seen.

Posted on: 2004/10/19 2:38

Deleted_
It seems to be that the more profound one's understanding of an art is, the less likely one is going to try and glorify it to other people. Hatsumi had a deep personal relationship with Takamatsu, where is the motivation to make a film out of this?

Real study is for bettering oneself in any case. If realistic movies are made that do not glorify Ninjutsu in a typical cinematic sense, but teach the true essence, it probably will not sell on a larger scale. If you are looking for authentic Ninjutsu, why not just watch Hatsumi's DVDs? It's cooler than any movie you'll find because it isn't fiction.

Anyway, I think it's interesting that the Bujinkan is open to anyone today who wishes to find it. Always hovering right below mainstream public awareness but never quite capturing the spotlight. This is probably appropriate to the art.

Posted on: 2004/10/19 14:37

Village Old Timer
From oz
Group:
i would always have to say ' the last ninja' starring micheal beck, perhaps a bit dodgy in part but i loved it(watched it 20+ times)

the most realistic would be 'ninja vengance'(?) with mr hayes(who was pretending to be a ninja master, he he he[evil grin]) hayes clearly showed people the ropes there, as i would say it looked pretty close to me. i remember thinking at the time 'oh my goodness, this isn't the typical ninjary nonsence of the lee van cleefe genre'(the master, was on at the same time. i shamefully admit i liked it too )

Posted on: 2004/10/19 18:30

Oldschoolcarpentry.com.au

From Antwerp Belgium
Group:
Whereas "Ninja the Master" with Lee van Cleef was a much better story.
Ninja Vengeance is really boring. One could have made this a lot better.

BTW: "The Ninja Mission" shows a little BBT as well, with Bo Munthe from Sweden in a minor part. It's not a great movie, but it's not entirely as boring as "Ninja Vengeance".
The Ninja Mission on IMDb

Posted on: 2004/10/19 18:44

Shodan Bujinkan Budō Taijutsu
"Shodan" means "beginners grade"...

From Wales, United Kingdom
Group:
Didn't we do this thread already? It's here on Kutaki somewhere I know it...

To recap, there have indeed been attempts to "portray" the martial art of ninjutsu through the big screen. Ninja Mission involved Bo Munthe and Sveneric Bogsater and was dreadful (the script was lousy - the only saving grace being Sven's tank top; please don't hit me this weekend Sven!) Ninja Vengeance was a project involving Stephen K Hayes. The production was a big let down on this one but at least a more accurate portrayal of technique and philosophy was attempted. The film was no Hollywood blockbuster though because it wasn't what most people want from a film.

I'm reminded of a story from a book I have at home (paraphrasing). This film director wanted some special forces people to appear in his film so he hired some. He turned up on set on the first day and started shouting "where are those special forces guys, we need to start filming and they're late". The special forces guys were already there - they were so well camouflaged that nobody had seen them even though they were right in front of them. "That's no good", said the director. "I want special forces people that LOOK like special forces people". And therein lies the problem. People want to see martial artists that comply with their perceptions of what a martial artist is. It's too large a task to change an entire culture's perceptions so why bother trying?

Do you honestly think BTW that Steven Seagal's films show Aikido at it's best? With the exception of the cake scene in Under Siege , his films are pretty dire and do not exactly show good Aikido technique from my understanding of it. Perhaps the best film he was involved in was "The Challenge" starring Scott Glenn and Toshiro Mifune. Seagal was the choreographer on this film which is well worth seeing if you get the chance, if only for Mifune's performance alone.

BTW - The Last Ninja was a great film. I only ever saw it once and always wanted to see it again. Does anyone know where copies can be obtained?

Posted on: 2004/10/19 20:13

"Ultimately, we must forget technique, but forgetting about technique is not the same as never having learned it."
Hideharu Onuma

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor