Socialize

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

Training in hakama
Honorary Villager
From Sweden
Group:
村民 :: Villager
Hakama is as I understand one of the basic clothing in Japan's history. But are we using them in regular training?
I seem to remember an old picture of Takamatsu training bo wearing a hakama. But this far I've never practiced taijutsu in one.

Are some of the bujinkan ryu's using them more then others??
All I know is that they are good kicking with as the opponent can't se how my feet are moving.

Posted on: 2004/11/4 0:46

Re: Training in hakama
Permanent Village Fixture
From Wales, United Kingdom
Group:
We did loads of stuff in hakama in the year we did Takagi Yoshin Ryu as the main theme (2002?). Try obtaining the Tai Kai videos/Daikomyosai videos from that year for a start.

Posted on: 2004/11/4 1:11

"Ultimately, we must forget technique, but forgetting about technique is not the same as never having learned it."
Hideharu Onuma
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Honorary Villager
From Sweden
Group:
Cool.. I will...
Tnx

Posted on: 2004/11/4 1:19

Group:
Of course, practicing Kendo as you do, you've got some experience of wearing hakama anyway and you're used to moving around in them. Some people can't even kneel down and stand up again without getting tangled up and falling over! Better to practice simple stuff before moving on to the fighting techniques.

Posted on: 2004/11/4 1:30

"Ultimately, we must forget technique, but forgetting about technique is not the same as never having learned it."
Hideharu Onuma

Villager
From Los Angeles
Group:
How do you guys move in hakama so effortlessly? I had to wear court robes when I performed gagaku in June; the robes were about 40 years old and was warned to be careful and try not to tear the robes. But going back and forth from standing to sitting I heard the fabric tugging and ripping (not a whole lot). Wish I could have had the new robes but I was playing percussion and not winds. Any advice you guys can give on this matter would be greatly appreciate (the next performance is in March).

Posted on: 2004/11/4 2:54

-Mencius

Group:
Like anything I suppose - practice! I doubt my Kyudo instructor would say I move effortlessly though... Just wear the hakama/court robes as often as possible so that they're a bit more familiar.

Actually, after this thread started today, I told my class tonight that everyone should wear hakama if possible at tomorrow's class for the practice.

Posted on: 2004/11/4 8:55

Hideharu Onuma

Villager
From Los Angeles
Group:
Unfortunately, I can't wear court robes all the time unless I were to buy my own (which would be quite expensive). We only wear them when we have an actual performance. So should I go out and buy a hakama (or a kendo keikogi) instead and practice in that?

Posted on: 2004/11/4 12:36

-Mencius

Honorary Villager
From Sweden
Group:
Hey MWDAndy. Cool.... =) Maybe I should do the same... And it warm as well... Can be good in our 'dojo' as it's an old gymnastics hall that is cool as *****....

I've never thought of how I move around in hakama. Hmmm....
But I know that I've sometimes steped on it and almost fallen down... But never in keiko (but I've seen ppl doing that...)

You made me thinking of how I really stand up from a sitting position. I think that it's important when you sit down (like in seiza) that your toe tips do keep contact with the floor, and when you try to rise, your back leg has to have about a 90 deg angle before you put your front foot
into the floor. I guess this helps you not to step on it.(observe that this is how I think I do it, as I dont have my hakama here right now, and I promise to try it as soon as I put it on next time)

But a kendo hakama should not be to expensive, so why not... buy it, practice BBT in it, walk around in your apartment, do natural stuff that makes you feel comfortable in it.

Posted on: 2004/11/4 17:01

Deleted_

Posted on: 2004/11/4 19:24

Honorary Villager
From Sweden
Group:
Quote:

Danny wrote:
Yutai,
If you look at many paintings of people fighting in ukiyo-e, you may notice that their hakama are pulled up and tucked into the sides of their belts.
I dont recommend fighting in full length unadjusted hakama.

(you WILL trip)

Tripping or not tripping.... You're looking cool wearing them. I think it's beautiful when aikidokas practice.
My old Kendo-teacher used to tuck them up to show the beginners the footwork.. not so beautiful...

Posted on: 2004/11/4 20:29

(1) 2 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor