Recent Topics

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Training in hakama
Honorary Villager
From Sodertalje, Sweden
Group:
村民 :: Villager
It may have been this site: http://sarcasm.fanfic.org/hakamapattern.html or this:
http://www.dementia.org/~djl/sca/japanese/patterns.html
I saved four homepages on my computer at the time and I´m not sure exactly which one I ended up using, I think I may have combined several. However I noticed that some of the pages aren´t up and running any more, so if you can´t find what you need in patterns and mesurments using Google, you can PM me and I´ll mail you the files that are stored on my computer. I´m sure, however, that if you put some effort in to it you will be able to find equal or better pages on the internet your self...

Good luck!

/Micke

P.S. Be sure to put enough fabric in the pleats (is that right? I mean the folds...) especialy, and in the Hakama in general, you will have to use more fabric than you think... Also a good idea is to do a "trail run". I made a prototyp, using an old sheet to see whether my pattern and mesurments where good or not. D.S.

[I have now edited this post several times since I keep remembering more and more, about my hakama project ]

Posted on: 2004/11/5 19:28
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Active Kutakian
From Sweden
Group:
I have made a detailed pictorial of how to make a hakama, step by step.. however, its only available in swedish.. =)

Posted on: 2004/11/6 19:21

Just Passing Through
From Santa Clara, Santa Cruz, Boulder Creek (California)
Group:
Hi kids,
Just some Hakama related thoughts. For those of you looking for a pattern, Folkwear makes excellent patterns. For those of you looking for information on "period" issues, like what exactly people wore when, Anthony Bryant's page (mentioned earlier) is without peer (though it is being updated now, so some things are not as available as they were... but I assume they will be again soon). That page is http://sengokudaimyo.com. Bryant is very knowledgable about all manner of historical issues, and so his page is a cool place to waste a few hours as well.
Of course, you can buy Hakama on the web or wherever for not too much, so this may or may not be an issue for you.
One footnote on Hakama, which I regularly wear for other arts anyhow, is that you should have a good Obi. If you do not have a decent Obi (like Iaijutsu style, flat, wide, obi) then your Hakama will never sit right, they will always hang wrong, you will trip on them, and if you try to seat a sword in them, you will not only look like a fool, your Hakama will get all twisted... that is unless you tie your belt way too tight, in which case you will just look like a fool. (And Danny is right, they are not supposed to be as long as some people will tell you!)
I could go on about Hakama and Gi's, pants, short tops, and many other oddities of modern budo practitioners, but I think I will leave that for others to tackle.

Cheers

Posted on: 2005/1/6 5:32

-------------------------------------------------

Train hard, and if you can't train hard, train as hard as you can.

Active Kutakian
From Sheffield, England
Group:
Walking, running, sitting and kneeling in hakama are easy once you get the feeling of them.

Now climbing stairs - that's a whole new kettle of fish (as I found out when I decided to run up 20 flights of stairs in the hotel I was staying at in the Norway taikai)!

Posted on: 2005/1/7 0:04

Kutaki Postmaster
From JAPAN
Group:
I first read this ...

"Training in hakaba"

With whom we train in there ?

Posted on: 2005/1/7 5:27

Deleted_
Quote:

Tamatora wrote:
I first read this ...

"Training in hakaba"

With whom we train in there ?

I know someone posted a photo of his cat when they were talking about tabi on a mailing list many years ago.

For those who don't know Japanese well, "Hakaba" means a graveyard.

Errr, sorry, let's go back to the topic.

Posted on: 2005/1/7 5:37

Occasional Visitor
From usa
Group:
In my previous martial art we wore Iwata hakama's. I love doing Ukemi in a hakama. But like anything else it takes a little time to get acclimated to them.

Posted on: 2014/4/12 11:16

Just Passing Through
From Houston
Group:
I've never put one on. They look nice for demonstrations, but I'd think that it would hamper newaza too much, although formal suwari waza wouldn't be an issue, since that's what they wore.

Posted on: 2/27 9:34

Villager
From San Salvador, El Salvador
Group:
Ohhhh those Takagi trainings were good, although we had makeshift hakama. I still got mine but is quite bad, the fabric is silky and airy but alas it give you a sort of feeling of wearing one.

I always tuck it on the sides when wearing it.

You know I'll also train in hakama this comming week, thanks for the inspiration!

Posted on: 3/19 0:24

« 1 2 (3)

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor